Gun Vault

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gun Vault

Postby LumberZach on Tue May 16, 2017 9:08 am

I thought I would give a quick update on this old thread. It's been months, and I still haven't gotten a new house. Building a house looks like a more appealing route every day.

I came across this the other day:
http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/safe-room.html

Basically the company is selling a massive gun safe for about the price of what a vault door costs. The more I look into houses, the more it seems no one is completely safe from a crack/leak in their basement. If that crack were to develop in a concrete gun room the results would be absolutely disastrous. I'm thinking a large vault/safe like this pushed into a basement corner would help resolve a lot of that. With the additional feature of being able to walk in it if bad stuff(tornado) is happening outside.

If you scroll down, you will see the 7x8x12 vault. My concern is that would get small fairly quick, not just with guns, but ammo, parts, and anything else deemed safe worthy.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Re: Gun Vault

Postby yukonjasper on Tue May 16, 2017 9:31 am

looks interesting. I do think that measures can be added to a built in place gun room/shelter that could protect you for the things you fear. Although similar, the functionality of a true Panic room/storm shelter/SHTF bunker are more demanding than a dry secure place to store your weapons and ammo Cache. Certainly if you are looking for a large walk in style gun safe with lots of room to house a collection of firearms and ammunition, this would work.

I'm not a doomsday guy, but I've read some and also seen some programs on Prepper Bunkers - food and water storage, air exchangers, sleeping areas, sanitary waste collection, power needs, communications etc. seem to be key to the well equipped bunker. As mentioned, I'm no expert.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby atomic41 on Wed May 17, 2017 7:32 am

That looks awesome and I'm looking at building a house too. I'm going to take a hard look at one of these. I wonder what the shipping and installation cost is?
atomic41

Gun Vault

Postby LumberZach on Wed May 17, 2017 7:50 am

atomic41 wrote:That looks awesome and I'm looking at building a house too. I'm going to take a hard look at one of these. I wonder what the shipping and installation cost is?

I'm guessing shipping won't come cheap, but again, the whole vault looks about as expensive as a normal vault door you would buy to put on a concrete room. I wonder if shipping would be much different than that? As for install, before the floor goes in have a crane lower this into the basement and call it good. Dollar for dollar I'm thinking this may be the answer to my question. I was hoping for a larger room, but it isn't exactly small as is. I just really want a place to hang guns on the wall to look at ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby atomic41 on Wed May 17, 2017 8:59 am

LumberZach wrote:
atomic41 wrote:That looks awesome and I'm looking at building a house too. I'm going to take a hard look at one of these. I wonder what the shipping and installation cost is?

I'm guessing shipping won't come cheap, but again, the whole vault looks about as expensive as a normal vault door you would buy to put on a concrete room. I wonder if shipping would be much different than that? As for install, before the floor goes in have a crane lower this into the basement and call it good. Dollar for dollar I'm thinking this may be the answer to my question. I was hoping for a larger room, but it isn't exactly small as is. I just really want a place to hang guns on the wall to look at ha.

I'm thinking that a larger room could still be built around this. I really want to build a false wall/hidden entrance to a gun room and I'm thinking this could be part of that room.

If you end up doing this, please share what you learn.
atomic41

Postby Ghost on Wed May 17, 2017 9:07 am

Ghost

Gun Vault

Postby LumberZach on Wed May 17, 2017 11:34 am

Ghost wrote:Was just reading this and thought it was fitting

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1993918_My-Vault-Safe-Room--Very-Pic-Heavy---.html

Thanks for posting. I've looked through most of the threads on ar15, but didn't see that one. That will definitely be sturdier and harder to break in than the vault I posted earlier. However, it's actually smaller. Interesting to see though.

http://rhinovault.com

Here is another vault I've seen. However, it sounds like it ships flat and you have to assemble it on site. Might be a good option for existing houses. I don't think I prefer it though.

LumberZach

Postby Ghost on Wed May 17, 2017 11:50 am

LumberZach wrote:Thanks for posting. I've looked through most of the threads on ar15, but didn't see that one. That will definitely be sturdier and harder to break in than the vault I posted earlier. However, it's actually smaller.

You could make yours as big as you want. ;)
Ghost

Gun Vault

Postby LumberZach on Wed May 17, 2017 5:04 pm

Ghost wrote:You could make yours as big as you want. ;)

Lol yeah. My fault for not completing my thought. That's more to say that the 7x12 vault room wouldn't be too small or unusable as I may have worried.

LumberZach

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat