Gifting rifle to minor?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gifting rifle to minor?

Postby Tronster on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:21 pm

I've read a bit about gifting rifles to minors, but I have a question specific to future bans. As we fight anti gun bills, there is always the possibility a new "AWB" could pass in the future despite our efforts. I'd like to gift an AR and mags to my very young daughter before any such ban.
Is there a minimum age to gift a rifle?
Would gifting it hold up as possession prior to a ban?
If there was a registration requirement to be grandfathered in, would she count as possessor even as a minor? (Disregarding the comply/no comply arguements of registration).
Tronster

Re: Gifting rifle to minor?

Postby hammAR on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:00 pm

You give this new pending group of demoncrap haters far too much credit -
there will be no such fantasy as grandfathering........... :?

No age restrictions on gifting.....
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby photogpat on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:19 pm

How about you send that money to one of the 2A groups and volunteer a few days with them to prevent that from happening in the first place?
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:25 pm

I was under the impression one has to be 18 to own any firearm so while you can gift it to them whenever it is not truly theirs until then I would think.
Holland&Holland

Postby shooter115 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:41 pm

I gave my son an AR lower on his first Christmas. I Give him a part every year.
shooter115

Postby Tronster on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:28 pm

photogpat wrote:How about you send that money to one of the 2A groups and volunteer a few days with them to prevent that from happening in the first place?

I've donated to GOCRA, I've given testimony at the State capital, I engage open ears when possible. But none of this is a 100% guarantee, and free time is in short supply for me these days, so I'd like to hedge my bets and get one for her too before anything happens that is out of our control.
Tronster

Postby Sorcerer on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:55 pm

If Clinton gets in you will be lucky to have in your possetion a single shot musket let alone a AR. Think of the Osseys.
Sorcerer

Postby Chunkychuck on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:28 pm

shooter115 wrote:I gave my son an AR lower on his first Christmas. I Give him a part every year.

Johnny Cash's One Piece at a Time idea?
https://youtu.be/HNU9nNY-v0g?t=50
Chunkychuck

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:22 pm

As to the Aussies, I had the pleasure of shooting with and talking with a 50BMG shooter from down under. I asked about all the firearms that were turned in and how did it affect him. He laughed and said he turned in his junk firearms and lost all his others down a deep dark hole as he had not a river to cross to lose his stuff in. The city dwellers turned theirs in, the ranchers kept enough to protect their livestock from predators. As I understood it, a couple of two legged predators were accidentally eaten by crocs while looking for "lost" firearms. Most ranchers know where the biggest meanest crocs live and are always helpful assisting the gun-haters to find stashes of unreported firearms. Made for a good story, but after getting to know this individual better after a few beers and a few more, wondered just how much was true, and definitely would not be going out in the bush with him..
OldmanFCSA

Return to General Gun Chat