Onamia Gravel Pit Range

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Onamia Gravel Pit Range

Postby Zombinie on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi there, just joined to ask this question:
I have been looking for a place to shoot without being forced to join a club or get stared down by an RO. Really I just want to shoot rapid fire and at some soda cans etc.
I found a thread on here that dates back to 2013 I think, and Onamia Gravel Pit was recommended. I was wondering if that area is still open to the public? If not, does anyone know of a place where I can have actual fun with an AK?
Zombinie

Re: Onamia Gravel Pit Range

Postby usnret on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:53 am

Define "fun with an AK".
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Ivan45 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:53 am

Any state forest is legal. Chengwatana is a popular spot.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Ivan45

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:19 am

Zombinie wrote:Hi there, just joined to ask this question:
I have been looking for a place to shoot without being forced to join a club or get stared down by an RO. Really I just want to shoot rapid fire and at some soda cans etc.
I found a thread on here that dates back to 2013 I think, and Onamia Gravel Pit was recommended. I was wondering if that area is still open to the public? If not, does anyone know of a place where I can have actual fun with an AK?

And who, specifically, is FORCING you to join a club?? The waiting list is OGC is about 15 months, and I can assure you that the Board doesn't give two plug nickels and a shart whether you or anybody else wants to join. As far as getting "stared down" by an RO, the ONLY purpose for RO's in the first place is to prevent idjits with guns from endangering other shooters or people who live nearby, PERIOD!! If you have a problem with that, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that you DO want to shoot a gun without having to bother with ANY rules or worrying about other people's safety.

Don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on your way out of here.....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:30 am

Seismic Sam wrote:

And who, specifically, is FORCING you to join a club?? The waiting list is OGC is about 15 months, and I can assure you that the Board doesn't give two plug nickels and a shart whether you or anybody else wants to join. As far as getting "stared down" by an RO, the ONLY purpose for RO's in the first place is to prevent idjits with guns from endangering other shooters or people who live nearby, PERIOD!! If you have a problem with that, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that you DO want to shoot a gun without having to bother with ANY rules or worrying about other people's safety.

Oh come on and get off your high alligator. You live in Louisiana now, hold my beer watch this.
Ghost

Postby Zombinie on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:32 am

Seismic Sam wrote:And who, specifically, is FORCING you to join a club?? The waiting list is OGC is about 15 months, and I can assure you that the Board doesn't give two plug nickels and a shart whether you or anybody else wants to join. As far as getting "stared down" by an RO, the ONLY purpose for RO's in the first place is to prevent idjits with guns from endangering other shooters or people who live nearby, PERIOD!! If you have a problem with that, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that you DO want to shoot a gun without having to bother with ANY rules or worrying about other people's safety.

hold up hold up you've got me all wrong, maybe my phrasing was ill purposed
I am a safe shooter, a very safe shooter, I follow all rules (basic safety and range specific) and am conscious of ricochets and muzzle discipline and everything, but I see all these people having fun in ways that I cant. hickok45 for instance has fun with 2 liters (which arent allowed on any ranges afaik), and many ranges dislike/disallow rapid fire (which I find pretty darn fun once in a while). As far as getting stared down by RO's, I just dislike being watched in general, even though I know I am doing nothing unsafe and never will they have an obligation to observe shooters to ensure that, and that inherent distrust just insults me and annoys me, I just want to be left alone. All the ranges I come by are filled with fudds sighting in their "durr rifle", and I don't want to be that one guy magdumping next to them. I just want to have fun by myself practicing for 3 gun etc. Maybe i'm just spoiled but waiting 15 months just so I can still be watched and still not allowed to shoot at entertaining targets just seems silly.

Some people shoot for hunting, some people shoot for long distance accuracy, and some people shoot because shooting is fun. I shoot for plain fun (although I hope to one day be good enough to shoot long distance)

usnret wrote:Define "fun with an AK".

rapid fire from a drum mag at 2 liters, phone books and steel targets

What I really want is an open field, desert or wooded area etc on a sunny day completely in the middle of nowhere to plink in, but unfortunately there is not BLM land in MN. I have considered driving to Wyoming to get this experience though.
Zombinie

Postby FJ540 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:08 am

Ghost wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:

Oh come on and get off your high alligator. You live in Louisiana now, hold my beer watch this.

Sam's come down with swamp fever already. Can't remember which bridge he's under anymore.

Sam, I'm very happy shooting my guns on my private land and not worrying about anyone else's safety (beyond a very quick sweep to insure I don't have any trespassers immediately down range).

Whether or not the Onamia pit is still open to the public, I'm not sure. I haven't been going that route lately and when I do I tend to drive right past it without any awareness it's there.

The gravel pit near our place has been made much less accessible and is posted no trespassing now. I sure wish the county would re-evaluate that decision as it's made for an increase of locals shooting on their tiny back lot properties using my neighbor's land as their backstop and subsequently indirectly shooting at me without a berm.

Btw, Oakdale's backlog of memberships is an argument against the club, not for it. Same reason we're trying to abolish the tax stamps on suppressors, because a 8 month wait just isn't cutting it.
FJ540

Postby MJY65 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:19 am

The type of shooting opportunities you are describing used to be common, but now are nearly non-existent. I think I know exactly what you are saying, because I've been looking for the same thing and got many of the same dismissive comments. There's a lot of ground between Bubba shooting up old TVs and "paper targets only" with an RO watching over your shoulder.

Unfortunately, I think the only way to do what you (we) want is to buy land and set it up for yourself.
MJY65

Postby Snakeman721 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:09 pm

The BIGGEST reason finding a place to shoot up cans, phone books, milk jugs, etc is getting very hard to find is because of the Yahoos in the past that DON'T CLEAN UP AFTER THEMSELVES. They leave their junk targets all shot up all over the place and then the land owner sees the mess and posts no trespassing signs. Hey, my favorite shooting targets are tin cans, but I bring them in a big box and then take them home in same box to toss in the recycling bin.Too many people leave too much garbage out on those "free" ranges that ruins it for the rest of us.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby photogpat on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:18 pm

As other's have said - identify a State Forest near you, check and make sure there are no restrictions, and have fun. Be safe, respectful and pick up after yourself too please...so that we don't get shut down in the future. Too many douchenozzles on the State Forest pit where I shoot leave behind furniture, TV's, shoot glass bottles, etc....

FYI.
Oakdale's waiting list is getting churned through each year - as in, if you're on it as of Jan 1....you're VERY likely to get the email for membership that year.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby sprigfan on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Snakeman721 wrote:The BIGGEST reason finding a place to shoot up cans, phone books, milk jugs, etc is getting very hard to find is because of the Yahoos in the past that DON'T CLEAN UP AFTER THEMSELVES. They leave their junk targets all shot up all over the place and then the land owner sees the mess and posts no trespassing signs. Hey, my favorite shooting targets are tin cans, but I bring them in a big box and then take them home in same box to toss in the recycling bin.Too many people leave too much garbage out on those "free" ranges that ruins it for the rest of us.

This. It's no wonder public places like these are pretty much nonexistent now. Too many selfish, stupid a-holes ruining it for everyone else. There was an article in the Strib the other day about the worsening litter problem from ice fisherman.

I had the same predicament when I first moved to the Twin Cities. Couldn't find a place to shoot outdoors. No public places within a reasonable drive and all the gun clubs had long waiting lists. I ended up waiting and now have a membership.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Postby hard h2o on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:41 pm

The reason a lot of these guys you envy can shoot whatever they want is because they own the land and run their own range. A lot of the places we went plinking as a kid are now closed to shooting. Probably due to several factors. There are always those idiots who leave a mess or shoot things they shouldn't like signs and the like. I am sure insurance companies and lawyers trying to keep liability to a minimum is also a factor.

One of the advantages of being a member at OGC is the freedom to shoot whenever I want and avoid the busy times when we are open to the public. I often have the ranges to myself or with just one or two fellow members. The rules on targets are a bit more relaxed during member only shooting than for the general public.

You still can not shoot at explosive targets or things that make a mess.

Other advantages to being a member of OGC versus just going out to a gravel pit is not having to lug your own target stands or shooting benches. The membership has an ownership stake and that helps encourage the members to keep the range clean, neat, and in good repair. If you get caught breaking the rules there is the threat of losing your membership.

I am one of those "fudds" shooting my "durr" rifle. I would not look down my nose at a snot nosed kid wanting to turn his AK into a bullet hose. Please do not disparage others in there pursuit of sending lead down range.
hard h2o

Postby BigBlue on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:45 pm

I just don't understand the mindset of many people these days. How can you not clean up after yourself? Obviously the folks littering have never had to fight for preservation of any type of rights or access before. I have a lot of years trying to keep snowmobile trails open in a near-metro area and I know many of the same types of challenges. People also abuse that type of stuff.

I think this same littering is also rampant with ice fishing people. Hearing a lot about all the crap left on the ice lately. Beyond stupid.

And Sam, jump back under the bridge and cut this guy some slack. Not everyone who wants a little flexibility in target shooting is an unsafe jerk.

BB
BigBlue

Postby FJ540 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 pm

It might just be winter, but H&H invited me out to Oakdale Saturday and there were at least a dozen people there while we were there, but there were no issues of any kind. We had 4 shooters on the 100yd range, 3 on the 50, and there was a group of 6 using the manual pigeon chucker before we arrived over there. They finished up, and we used it until end of hours. Whole afternoon was spent there, and it was FUN!

That's the busiest the place has ever been in my experience, outside of coordinated MNGT events.

I shot at water filled bottles. No one took issue with it. We've had various steel targets there in the past as well (mine, David's, maybe others too but I don't recall them).

It's a nice club. I've been on the fence about joining lately. The waiting list issue was part of it in the past, but H&H also mentioned that there's enough turnover that it's not so bad now with 1600 memberships when it used to be 800 and those core people stuck around.
FJ540

Postby Zombinie on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 pm

ok thanks for the info, and for most of you being kind and understanding, I will try that state forest and make sure to clean up any mess
Zombinie

Next

Return to General Gun Chat