Magazine disconnects

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Magazine disconnects

Postby hard h2o on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Does anyone like a magazine disconnect on a semi-auto firearm?

I despise them.
hard h2o

Re: Magazine disconnects

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:16 pm

+1 on the Despise . They suck, as far as I'm concerned. I will not own a firearm that has one.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Erud on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Gun company lawyers like them.
Erud

Postby usnret on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Most of them are pretty easy to disable.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Ironbear on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Met a cop once who thought of them as "unsafety" devices, since it seemed to promote bad habits. The tendency was to think of a gun with the magazine out as "unloaded".

Is there any modern pistols being made with disconnects? Seems like an idea whose time is past...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Drizzle on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Wasn't the idea (for Smith autos in the 70s and 80s anyhow) that officers could remove the magazines when checking 'guests' into the jail without checking their whole firearm? I've heard of coppers who have forgotten pistols at the jail and had to drive back, or, in an extreme case, had to borrow a weapon from another officer in an emergency.

Had two on my Star 9mm autos, easily removed. Didn't understand having them on a non duty weapon (like the Smiths), and especially on a military weapon. A possible advantage for the open topped Beretta 92 was the ease of single loading rounds if one found oneself with ammo and without a functioning magazine.
Drizzle

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:05 pm

I wonder if the ORIGINAL (back before WWII) 9mm Hi-Power that John Browning designed in 1935 had a magazine disconnect on it, or whether that was something the Belgians requested/implemented?? Anybody got an idea on this??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:49 pm

I had seriously been considering the Ruger SR9c, but passed due to the disconnect. However there are a few YouTube videos that show how to remove them I believe.
Jack's My dog

Postby hard h2o on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:19 pm

Mine is on my Marlin 795 .22.

My carry gun does not have one nor does it have a safety.

Hit the range Saturday. Sunday cleaning firearms. Took the Marlin apart. Cleaned and reassembled. Went to do a function check and no click when I pulled the trigger. It has had some light primer strikes so along with what seemed like a no trigger reset or no cocking I dropped it off at Joe's to be looked at. Got ho me and remembered that it has that dang magazine disconnect.

I am going to have to see how to disable it.

I assume that it is a lowest common denominator type of safety but it should not take the place of teaching or following the rules already established.

Drop the mag and you still might have one in the chamber. It might give one a false sense of security.
hard h2o

Postby old guy on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:37 am

My Ruger sr22 has it, I love that little gun, hate the disconnect.
old guy

Postby usnret on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:23 am

Jack's My dog wrote:I had seriously been considering the Ruger SR9c, but passed due to the disconnect. However there are a few YouTube videos that show how to remove them I believe.

I would be very careful on which YouTube and who's YouTube video you watch and believe. There are an awful lot of self proclaimed experts (idiots) on YouTube.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:33 am

Seismic Sam wrote:I wonder if the ORIGINAL (back before WWII) 9mm Hi-Power that John Browning designed in 1935 had a magazine disconnect on it, or whether that was something the Belgians requested/implemented?? Anybody got an idea on this??

It would be tough for John Browning to have designed this in 1935. Very tough.

I'm of the opinion that 80% or more of the HP came from Dieudonné Saive. The magazine safety was included by request of the French army (who were considering a contract with FN) for some froggy reason, and added by Saive to the original design from the mid-1920s.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:36 pm

Drizzle wrote:Wasn't the idea (for Smith autos in the 70s and 80s anyhow) that officers could remove the magazines when checking 'guests' into the jail without checking their whole firearm? I've heard of coppers who have forgotten pistols at the jail and had to drive back, or, in an extreme case, had to borrow a weapon from another officer in an emergency.

Had two on my Star 9mm autos, easily removed. Didn't understand having them on a non duty weapon (like the Smiths), and especially on a military weapon. A possible advantage for the open topped Beretta 92 was the ease of single loading rounds if one found oneself with ammo and without a functioning magazine.

The premise was that if you were fighting with a suspect and the suspect grabbed your gun, you could drop the mag and that would disable the gun. While true that it could disable the gun, it was a misguided ideology.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Bitter Bastard on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:52 pm

I had mag disconnects on just two of my pistols - a Browning Hi Power and a S&W 639. I removed the Browning's and it helped the trigger pull immensely. The 639 was an old PD gun and someone had worked the trigger over so well, I never even looked into how the mag disconnect interacted with the mechanism because I didn't see anything to gain from it.

I don't like magazine disconnects but if there is no apparent functional penalty (like a bad trigger) for having one, I'd leave it in. Still, if it were an option to have one or not, I'd not have it. Shrug. They seem pretty useless in most cases from a "do things right" standpoint and actually clear your weapon, or dubious at best for any tactical use cases - ejecting the mag if the assailant is gaining control of your gun, or "oh crap, I need to fire while I have the mag removed." I know most people like to talk about the .001% chance of things but I'd rather focus on more fundamentals that I probably need practice on anyway.

YMMV.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Jack's My dog on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:47 am

usnret wrote:
Jack's My dog wrote:I had seriously been considering the Ruger SR9c, but passed due to the disconnect. However there are a few YouTube videos that show how to remove them I believe.

I would be very careful on which YouTube and who's YouTube video you watch and believe. There are an awful lot of self proclaimed experts (idiots) on YouTube.

Amen to that!
Jack's My dog

Next

Return to General Gun Chat