Suggestions for new female shooter

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:40 am

My GF wants to start shooting. I grew up with guns so I know I don't know what I don't know. I'll likely join her through this if it makes sense.

My opinion is she needs some sort of gun basics class and she also wants to take hunter safety and from there I'm thinking a basic handgun then carry permit.

Any suggestions or opinions?

Located in south metro
Last edited by Ghost on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Re: Suggestions for new shooter

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:09 pm

There are a few women on this board who are certified instructors who, from time to time, have had women only Basic Gun Safety that includes training for women who have never picked up a gun before and progressing to some range time at Oakdale Gun Club. I don't know if they still offer it or not, but I was in the same boat with my GF now Fiancé, but I was more interested in getting her started than she was, so I left it alone. If you do a search you might be able to find the old topic, I think I posted a couple of years ago, maybe more.

Maybe change the title to Suggestions for a new Female shooter - might get their attention or move the question to the Powder Room which was set up for Female related Gun Topics.

Good luck.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Suggestions for new female shooter

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:12 pm

Title updated and thanks for the info
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 pm

Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:06 pm

yukonjasper wrote:http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54768&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=female

found the thread. Try this link.

Thanks
Ghost

Postby striped1 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:32 pm

Give Dave Timm a call. Here is the link to his into course.

http://www.learningfirearms.com/trainin ... ndgun.html
striped1

Postby JJ on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:01 pm

"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:27 pm

And I'll chime in with my usual song and dance about just because a guy may have 40 years experience with handguns, that doesn't even mean AS MUCH as diddly squat when it comes to picking a gun for a girlfriend/wife!! I even have a standard bet of $50 to any guy who can prove he knows what she wants by going into a large shoestore and picking out the actual pair of shoes that she buys after he's been in the store. There's no way in hell that could ever happen, right?? And based on that, what good is 40 year's knowledge about guns worth when the issue is what gun will SHE like the best??? 'Nuff said...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Erud on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:And I'll chime in with my usual song and dance about just because a guy may have 40 years experience with handguns, that doesn't even mean AS MUCH as diddly squat when it comes to picking a gun for a girlfriend/wife!! I even have a standard bet of $50 to any guy who can prove he knows what she wants by going into a large shoestore and picking out the actual pair of shoes that she buys after he's been in the store. There's no way in hell that could ever happen, right?? And based on that, what good is 40 year's knowledge about guns worth when the issue is what gun will SHE like the best??? 'Nuff said...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........ :roll:
Erud

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:02 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:And I'll chime in with my usual song and dance about just because a guy may have 40 years experience with handguns, that doesn't even mean AS MUCH as diddly squat when it comes to picking a gun for a girlfriend/wife!! I even have a standard bet of $50 to any guy who can prove he knows what she wants by going into a large shoestore and picking out the actual pair of shoes that she buys after he's been in the store. There's no way in hell that could ever happen, right?? And based on that, what good is 40 year's knowledge about guns worth when the issue is what gun will SHE like the best??? 'Nuff said...

I already knew that. However if there's a gun I want I may use the excuse it's for her.
Ghost

Postby wrench on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Here is a great opportunity to get some basic training, then shoot a lot of guns... 8-)
http://www.oakdalegunclub.org/?q=classe ... ms-women-0

If that doesn't work out, PM me.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby Prepared4Survival on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Osseo gun club has a basic pistol class for women taught by a woman. You start by shooting in their digital area and then move to shooting an actual gun. My wife did it without me and it really got her interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prepared4Survival

Postby Randygmn on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Fwiw- just a few days ago I got an email from Bills and they are having their annual (I think) event where a bunch of manufacturers come with a bunch of guns and you can shoot an awful lot of pistols. Unfortunately I deleted the email so I don't remember when it is. It coincides with a sale in all their locations but I think the shooting is only at robinsdale.
Randygmn

Postby usnret on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:27 pm

By the title it sounds like you are looking for a New Female Shooter to go shooting with.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:17 pm

usnret wrote:By the title it sounds like you are looking for a New Female Shooter to go shooting with.

That would probably get me in trouble
Ghost

Next

Return to General Gun Chat