Suggestions for new female shooter

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Suggestions for new female shooter

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:18 pm

wrench wrote:Here is a great opportunity to get some basic training, then shoot a lot of guns... 8-)
http://www.oakdalegunclub.org/?q=classe ... ms-women-0

If that doesn't work out, PM me.

Perfect, this is exactly what I thought would be a good first step. I'll pass the info along and see if that works for her.
Ghost

Postby hard h2o on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:39 pm

Randygmn wrote:Fwiw- just a few days ago I got an email from Bills and they are having their annual (I think) event where a bunch of manufacturers come with a bunch of guns and you can shoot an awful lot of pistols. Unfortunately I deleted the email so I don't remember when it is. It coincides with a sale in all their locations but I think the shooting is only at robinsdale.

SPRING SHOOTER'S SHOW 2017
Robbinsdale location
https://www.billsgs.com/events/571-shooter-s-show-2017
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:40 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:And I'll chime in with my usual song and dance about just because a guy may have 40 years experience with handguns, that doesn't even mean AS MUCH as diddly squat when it comes to picking a gun for a girlfriend/wife!! I even have a standard bet of $50 to any guy who can prove he knows what she wants by going into a large shoestore and picking out the actual pair of shoes that she buys after he's been in the store. There's no way in hell that could ever happen, right?? And based on that, what good is 40 year's knowledge about guns worth when the issue is what gun will SHE like the best??? 'Nuff said...

Ok, someone has to take you to task on this Sam. If you do not know what shoes your wife likes then you have not been paying attention and you are going to blow yourself up like an austrian .40 with an unsupported chamber. RTFM at least twice.
Holland&Holland

Postby westhope on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:05 am

RTFM at least twice.

My wife did not come with a manual. (Although I did get here second-hand.)
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:12 am

westhope wrote:
RTFM at least twice.

My wife did not come with a manual. (Although I did get here second-hand.)

Oh it is there. It is in a foreign language and a format that is tough to download but it is there. Pressure signs can be very subtle but watch for them if you do not want a kaboom.

Not saying I am an expert and may have lost a few fingers along the way but I know what shoes to buy and in what size, same for purses, same for jewelry.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:37 am

Well, I just bought a shield in 9mm to let her try someday. I couldn't go wrong for $244 though after the S&W rebate that started today.
Ghost

Postby 2in2out on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:46 am

I agree - don't try to teach her yourself. She'll learn better from an instructor (out in the sticks, the saying goes that an "expert" is someone from out of town).

I think female instructors would be the best. They can relate to any imaginary or real physical limitations and can will have the greatest empathy for their students. It's also reassuring when you walk into a room and realize you're not the "only one". Very empowering, and a great builder of enthusiasm.

Loan her a gun to shoot, absolutely. But, expect her to come back and demand something different.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Suggestions for new female shooter

Postby ZardozCZ on Sat May 13, 2017 12:49 pm

I've had lady friends attend pistol basics for women, and they liked it lots. They get 2 on one with instructor at range after classroom. They also got great conceal carry info guys wouldn't necessarily know about.

That was at Bills Robbinsdale. Not a fan of theirs, by the way, but not a hater either.
ZardozCZ

Postby george on Sat May 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Well, everything has been covered except, you tube video and post the link here. :roll:
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat May 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:And I'll chime in with my usual song and dance about just because a guy may have 40 years experience with handguns, that doesn't even mean AS MUCH as diddly squat when it comes to picking a gun for a girlfriend/wife!! I even have a standard bet of $50 to any guy who can prove he knows what she wants by going into a large shoestore and picking out the actual pair of shoes that she buys after he's been in the store. There's no way in hell that could ever happen, right?? And based on that, what good is 40 year's knowledge about guns worth when the issue is what gun will SHE like the best??? 'Nuff said...

You can just pay me the 50 now Sam.
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat