Mauser K98 - Need Experienced Smithie to Drill & Tap Receive

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Mauser K98 - Need Experienced Smithie to Drill & Tap Receive

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Outrage is the last refuge of a scoundrel...

To the assembled members of the Minnezotah Memorial Dysfunctional Daycare Center:

You know, I'm beginning to understand where Russstra was coming from.....

THIS IS FUN!!!!

Goett: You're up on deck again!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby goett047 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:21 pm

To the OP, in all seriousness, this should really help: http://bfy.tw/BDf8
goett047

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:57 pm

Wow. Just wow.

Seriously, wtf in any of the posted threads from other forms even comes close to justifying this behavior? Who did he try to screw over, here or anywhere?
Holland&Holland

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Good Goett!! Here's an old tin can with some stuff in the bottom and a shoe to nibble on.....

To look back to Exhibit #1, we have:

Hello,
New to forum.
I have an old Distributor that is stamped 1111940 8M16.
I have no idea what it is for, as it turned up as a 'spare part' I had in an old box, with no other identifying info other than some orange paint on it.

A random guy has a 45 year old distributor and has no idea what it fits on, which means he couldn't have paid money for it or the seller would have told him, and it also makes no sense to steal something if you don't even know what it's for. It's just an old car part that he came across, and he's trying to find out what it is so he can sell it for a few bucks. That's a lot of work for a few bucks, even if a REAL grease monkey on a car forum did the leg work for him. And now he's got a semi genuine K98 that's worth THOUSANDS of bucks if it passes for an original, and it's GOT to have the scope silver soldered on!! That's one hell of a lot of temptation, and in this case I'm not sure the OP even understands the difference between historically correct parts and a real WWII relic. In the M1 carbine link, an old-timer tells him the parts setup that will work the best with that gun, and give him the most shooting pleasure, and the OP just keeps on trying to find out every last historical detail. That doesn't tell you what he may want to do it, but it sure as hell tells you that he doesn't want to shoot it OR keep it.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:40 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Wow. Just wow.

Seriously, wtf in any of the posted threads from other forms even comes close to justifying this behavior? Who did he try to screw over, here or anywhere?

You're not getting it at all. He didn't screw anybody here out of anything, but he asked the forum as a whole to give him help and information that very possibly was going to be used to pull something off that most of us find morally repugnant and disgusting. FJ540 hit that nail on the head early on.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby hard h2o on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:06 pm

In several of his posts on different forums he has fine shooters. Nothing is going to make them worth more. The work he is doing will probably make them worth less. He is looking to spend a lot more money than they are worth in current condition to make them resemble and maybe even pass off as originals while in actuality reducing their value to someone who actually knows what they are looking at. To someone who does not know they will be overpaying on a cobbled together fantasy piece.

So he is either spending a lot of time and money for a rifle that will only look like an original. Or he is spending a lot of time and money to fool someone and to part them from their money.

There are a lot of red flags. He is trolling around the internet asking specific questions that appear to be attempts to recreate original firearms.

When questioned on the Mauser he states that with it just tapped and glued on the "the screws ripped out". "The K98 8mm round has big time recoil and that is why the Germans soldered on the mounts, so they would not rip out."

Initially he said he was abandoning the initial rifle due to the stripped out screws. Then when it was suggested he drill and tap to a bigger diameter or coil them he changed to say he has other reasons for scrapping it. Then it sounds like he did try to salvage it but it did not work.

When told that others had mounted scopes on Mausers without solder and shooting more powerful rounds he tried to defend his position with a lot of "yeah buts".

According to the tables I can find the 8x57 Mauser (170 grain at 2400 FPS) has less recoil than the .308 Win. (150 grain at 2800 FPS) and less than many other rounds typically used today that I would not consider hard hitters. r
http://www.twoamendments.com/post/rifle-recoil-table-sortable

There are a lot of other red flags in his posts. His defensiveness, coming in on a first post with his request, story changing...

He may be clueless and does not see the problems. He did get some answers initially. He does not handle questioning about what he wants to do. Might have a legitimate end game. Maybe even just letting it sit in his safe.
hard h2o

Postby hard h2o on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:12 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:

You're not getting it at all. He didn't screw anybody here out of anything, but he asked the forum as a whole to give him help and information that very possibly was going to be used to pull something off that most of us find morally repugnant and disgusting. FJ540 hit that nail on the head early on.

Some very knowledgeable gentlemen tried to steer him in the right direction initially. BS was called on his statement that the mount needed to be soldered as the recoil was so great on his Mauser. No evidence. Just his statement that the Germans had to solder to defeat the recoil. If that was such a hard recoiling round how did it find use as a service rifle? A lot of his statements do not make sense.
hard h2o

Postby Bitter Bastard on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:40 am

Wow, yet another MNGuntalk train wreck of a thread where a new guy gets completely roasted for no good reasons. The amount of assholery on this thread is legendary. The guy was just trying to find a gunsmith for a project. We have no way of knowing what his intentions were, and it was a completely legal project. He wasn't asking for advice on turning his AR into full auto so he could sell it to the drug cartels for crying out loud. And for swapping parts on an M1 carbine or 1911 - that's super common for collectors to try and make a more original gun.

Lfryklu, I'm sorry you were treated this way. I wish you well in your project.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 am

hard h2o wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:

Some very knowledgeable gentlemen tried to steer him in the right direction initially. BS was called on his statement that the mount needed to be soldered as the recoil was so great on his Mauser. No evidence. Just his statement that the Germans had to solder to defeat the recoil. If that was such a hard recoiling round how did it find use as a service rifle? A lot of his statements do not make sense.

He explained why the Germans needed to solder.

Either way:

1) Is this forum NOT here for folks to ask questions of the forum in total? Is that not the entire point of having a forum? so that there is a collection of folks sharing knowledge?

2) We are making a huge leap in logic to accuse the individual of something no one has any evidence that he has done or may do.

3) We are showing ourselves to be a real bunch of jerks.

4) So what if he wants to replicate something? I just finished a triagle handguard M16 looking AR build for my youngest. Now it is incorrect all over the place right down to the Anderson lower but still, for him it looks like what he sees in the movies. Could someone in the future try to pass it off as an original? I suppose they could. Not the intent but anything is possible. Any one remember the Bannerman Krag carbines? I think you could buy them right out of Outdoor Life back in the day so this group probably needs to go tracking someone down on that....
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:19 am

Give a FNG a terrible time, rake him through the coals, demean him, call him a cheat, and then wonder why much of the traffic on this site is dwindling.

I don't blame the guy for getting PO'd. You guys acted like sharks in the water, with a few drops of what you all sensed as blood.

Remember, we are in America, and our laws work on the presumption of innocent until proven guilty. He has committed no sin, as far as can be determined from what you guys "found" about him.

I wish I knew a good "Smithie" in the Twin Cities, so I could help the guy. I think I'll loan him my Spear Gun and my Bang Stick, to repel the Sharks.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby BigBlue on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:48 am

10 posts?? Is this perhaps a record for the quickest you neanderthal daycare dwellers have ever alienated and driven off a new member? I do commend you for reducing him to intense anger in such a short time.

:roll:

BB
BigBlue

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:10 am

Yup, there is always the option to ignore a thread if you don't agree with the approach. Isn't that why the For Sale section no longer has the ability to reply to the OP? Too many armchair commandos sharing their un wanted opinion to mess with someone's sale out of some sort of do good mentality mostly rooted in being a overly combative ass hat?

Damage is done, congratulations on preventing the next great Internet swindle. Your awesome, the world, nay, the universe owes you a debt of gratitude. :roll:
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:25 am

Wake up and smell the coffee. Boards like this are an anachronism, and they have all pretty much turned into ghost towns. I'm on a national board that used to have dozens of posts every day and hundreds of active members, and it's down to less than 10 active members. Twitter provides instant gratification and requires no real debating skills or analytical thought with a 250 character maximum, so the only people left behind are us old-timer gun nutz, even if some of you aren't that old.

And as far as some of us driving him away being some huge tragedy, cry me a river, and then wake up and smell the coffee, AGAIN. The guy has 10 posts total on MULTIPLE forums over a course of several years, so he gets what he wants and moves on and never comes back. And finally, for those of you who are bitching, why didn't YOU help him the minute he walked in the door?? The fact of the matter is that those of us who did have knowledge about K98's all smelled something funny and backed away from the table, and I am not including myself in that group. It was just my finely tuned troll nose that immediately detected multiple rank smells from the OP, and these have already been listed above on this page by somebody else. And finally, it's not too late for those of you who have sympathy for this guy to come forward, start Googling, and give him what he wants. Apparently he doesn't want to go to the trouble of looking up distributor part numbers himself, so jump right in here and lend a hand!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:00 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Wake up and smell the coffee. Boards like this are an anachronism, and they have all pretty much turned into ghost towns. I'm on a national board that used to have dozens of posts every day and hundreds of active members, and it's down to less than 10 active members. Twitter provides instant gratification and requires no real debating skills or analytical thought with a 250 character maximum, so the only people left behind are us old-timer gun nutz, even if some of you aren't that old.

And as far as some of us driving him away being some huge tragedy, cry me a river, and then wake up and smell the coffee, AGAIN. The guy has 10 posts total on MULTIPLE forums over a course of several years, so he gets what he wants and moves on and never comes back. And finally, for those of you who are bitching, why didn't YOU help him the minute he walked in the door?? The fact of the matter is that those of us who did have knowledge about K98's all smelled something funny and backed away from the table, and I am not including myself in that group. It was just my finely tuned troll nose that immediately detected multiple rank smells from the OP, and these have already been listed above on this page by somebody else. And finally, it's not too late for those of you who have sympathy for this guy to come forward, start Googling, and give him what he wants. Apparently he doesn't want to go to the trouble of looking up distributor part numbers himself, so jump right in here and lend a hand!!!

Sam I like ya, so I am going to drop it. Not worth dying on a hill over. But I think we went a bit overboard on this one.

I do not know anyone who silver solders. I would have sent him to Ahlman's which he clearly does not want and I respect that. I have had good and bad experiences there so I can understand that.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am

Or...... just move on and don't respond.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat