Odd Armslist experience - Hacked?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby silvor on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:56 pm

A couple weeks ago, I woke up around 6am on a Saturday and checked the new listings on Armslist. One ad looked REAL familiar. It was an active ad of mine I forgot about, but bumped to the top of the listings 2 hours prior.

While I was asleep. :?

So, I changed my password and figured that was the end of it. I did notice they sent a "changed password email" to me with the password I changed it to. I don't recall another company ever doing such a thing, but whatever.

Today, while I was out, one of my deactivated ads was reactivated. :o

Changed my password again, but this time immediately deleted the email.

Anyone ever experience this? Do you think it's an Armslist or email issue?
silvor

Re: Odd Armslist experience - Hacked?

Postby 2in2out on Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:26 pm

It's common to have web sites send you an e-mail stating that your password has changed. It's a way for them to alert you of activity you may or may not have authorized. I don't think that's a problem.

I've seen a few instances of people using pictures from other ads, or posting duplicate ads (I'm assuming for some nefarious purpose). But, I'm concerned about someone being able to reactive old ads or update active ads on your behalf.

At the very least, you need to report this activity to Armslist. I would go further (by deleting your account and starting with a fresh one, or staying off Armslist completely), but would like to hear what other people think first.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:41 pm

Always possible they had some IT changes roll through and reactivate your old post... Than again, better safe than sorry.
Last edited by gun_fan111v2 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gun_fan111v2

Postby Erud on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:59 pm

In my experience, if there is something shady going on, armslist won't do anything about it. A couple of years ago, I had someone pilfer a whole ad for a rifle that I had sold on a forum and listed it on armslist, complete with pictures of the rifle laying on my bed. I used the "report ad" feature (or whatever they call it) and emailed armslist at least a half dozen times, and they never did anything about it. I never even got a reply. I messed with the guy for about 3 weeks asking stupid questions and telling him that I wanted to buy it before losing interest. The ad stayed up for a long time after that.
Erud

Postby BigBlue on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:31 pm

If they sent you a confirmation e-mail about the password changing, with no password in it, that is common. If they sent you a "you've requested your password to be reset, so here's a temp password and you'll have to change to a new one when you first log in", that is common. If you changed your password yourself and they sent you an e-mail with the new password you entered in it, in clear text, that is not common. That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of and is a major security risk.

As for why your ad got bumped, I'd suspect that was just some system issue on their end.

BB
BigBlue

Return to General Gun Chat