Magwell Vice Blocks

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Magwell Vice Blocks

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Looking for any advice or guidance on what to get. I see them on Midway for pretty cheap ($11.99 - ProMag) but also see much more expensive models and people cutting down the low end models. I'm primarily and initially looking to use it for a trigger swap out. Don't know that I need anything too high end, but I don't want to waste money on a weak product when a bit more would get me better quality/functionality/durability etc. The ERGO for $24 is not available, but not sure its worth the extra $$$$.

I'm a total Noob when it comes to AR "smithy" work, so looking for some guidance.

Edited to add: How about this one From Plastixreveolution:

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/products/receiver-vise-block?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=335228068&gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oFBAsTvV_pYPjwwTIhcUTKPchCK_ohK4EvTV75vCPkyxoCjFHw_wcB
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Magwell Vice Blocks

Postby hammAR on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:29 pm

I use both the NO-M.A.R® Lower Receiver Vise Block and NO-M.A.R® AR15 AR10 308 & 223 Upper Receiver Vise Block............Seems OK, as I have only built around 50 AR-15/10's and they still work great........my $.02
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Erud on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:05 pm

I've never used one for any work on AR's. You really don't need one, but I can see how using one could possibly make things go a little smoother. There really is nothing to a trigger swap, after you've done it a few times and see exactly how everything works, it'll probably take you less than 5 minutes.
Erud

Magwell Vice Blocks

Postby Prepared4Survival on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Anything in the lower receiver, I was taught with a roll of tape. Set the lower on the tape roll making sure the pins will fall through the middle of the tape roll. Use some painters tape by the pin on the receiver. When installing use new pins and the downward pressure helps. Focus on spending your money on nice punches and a hammer that are specifically for guns. Uppers are a little different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prepared4Survival

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:49 pm

You can always use your most beat up mag as a vice block for a lower
Ghost

Magwell Vice Blocks

Postby LumberZach on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 pm

I've only used old mags and cheap pro mag maybe? Vice block. Like above, I haven't used the fancy ones and Ive been happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby speedy396 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Like others have said it's nice to have, but not a necessity. I have a Promag somewhere, but can never find it when I need it and still managed to put a lower together. Like Prep4 noted, spend the money on a nice set of punches. Obsidian in Little Canada makes a nice set that includes a flat punch.
speedy396

Postby Scratch on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:20 am

I wanted one that I could mount in my Versacradle, but I just wanted a solid block with a hole at one end so I just measured a magazine, cut a block of wood, drilled a hole in one end, then cut a couple slots for the magazine catch.

Works perfectly! Of course I can also put it in a vise, but I've never needed to. The Versacradle adjusts to any position I need it to. I don't think they're "really" needed although they do help a little bit. Not really needed at all for trigger installs though.

01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Return to General Gun Chat