ATF reverses itself allowing the shouldering of Sig Braces

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

ATF reverses itself allowing the shouldering of Sig Braces

Postby Randygmn on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:09 am

New ATF letter reverses/clarifies itself allowing firing "at or near the shoulder". But, fwiw, it's important to not modify the brace.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...r-sb-tactical/
Randygmn

Re: ATF reverses itself allowing the shouldering of Sig Braces

Postby Randygmn on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:28 am

And in regards to the last paragraph.....

For those wondering- regarding "making". Don't think that applies to factory bought "pistols", fwiw.
26 USC 5845
(a) Firearm
The term “firearm” means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (8) a destructive device. The term “firearm” shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector’s item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.
Randygmn

Postby FJ540 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:51 pm

The new letter also alludes to designs which place the brace in a configuration of a stock (like longer buffer tubes with collars meant to hold the brace at a rifle's length of pull).

The whole notion of a SBR needs to be thrown out. The current (not that they won't rescind it next month) ATF letter gives nod to the fact it doesn't really matter how the weapon is configured or used, but does state that you cannot intend to circumvent the NFA. This effectively means the NFA definition of a SBR is pointless outside of it still being the law of the land and as such must be followed.
FJ540

Postby Ghost on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:56 pm

Trump's fault
Ghost

Postby FJ540 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Ghost wrote:Trump's fault

Small victory then. :lol:
FJ540

Postby Scratch on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:59 pm

FJ540 wrote:The new letter also alludes to designs which place the brace in a configuration of a stock (like longer buffer tubes with collars meant to hold the brace at a rifle's length of pull).

The whole notion of a SBR needs to be thrown out. The current (not that they won't rescind it next month) ATF letter gives nod to the fact it doesn't really matter how the weapon is configured or used, but does state that you cannot intend to circumvent the NFA. This effectively means the NFA definition of a SBR is pointless outside of it still being the law of the land and as such must be followed.

Especially since nowadays, you can buy a Tavor which is shorter than a lot of SBR's...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby FJ540 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:35 pm

Shockwave's people got clarification to what I had inferred in the letter: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3524

"He then gave me a bit of further guidance for our customers:
1.By “permanent affixing,” ATF considers that to be adding permanent Loctite to the large set screw that secures the Blade into the dimples in the KAK tube. As long as you don’t red Loctite the set screw in place, ATF considers it to be “temporarily placed” and “perfectly okay to shoulder.” (He didn’t beat around the bush on this topic.)
2.“Length of pull”—for lack of a better word regarding pistol braces—begins to enter a “gray area” above 13.5″. Above 13.5″ begins “to enter shoulder stock area.” (His words. I believe this has to do with the “comfortableness” aspect.) On an AR-15, the “length of pull” for the Blade is approximately 13.13″, so no issues there. But if you use the Blade on a firearm that requires a large adapter of some sort, please make sure that you only use the dimples up to the point that you remain below the 13.5″ length. Stay below 13.5″ and according to ATF, it’s okay to shoulder a Shockwave Blade."

So if it's in essence a stock, it's not a brace anymore despite not being designed to be a stock. Double standard much? :roll:
FJ540

Postby Randygmn on Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:44 pm

FJ540 wrote:Shockwave's people got clarification to what I had inferred in the letter: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3524

"He then gave me a bit of further guidance for our customers:
1.By “permanent affixing,” ATF considers that to be adding permanent Loctite to the large set screw that secures the Blade into the dimples in the KAK tube. As long as you don’t red Loctite the set screw in place, ATF considers it to be “temporarily placed” and “perfectly okay to shoulder.” (He didn’t beat around the bush on this topic.)
2.“Length of pull”—for lack of a better word regarding pistol braces—begins to enter a “gray area” above 13.5″. Above 13.5″ begins “to enter shoulder stock area.” (His words. I believe this has to do with the “comfortableness” aspect.) On an AR-15, the “length of pull” for the Blade is approximately 13.13″, so no issues there. But if you use the Blade on a firearm that requires a large adapter of some sort, please make sure that you only use the dimples up to the point that you remain below the 13.5″ length. Stay below 13.5″ and according to ATF, it’s okay to shoulder a Shockwave Blade."

So if it's in essence a stock, it's not a brace anymore despite not being designed to be a stock. Double standard much? :roll:

Let me tell you how much garbage this is. The SB15 brace I have on my AAC300blk is friction fit. Pistol braces are considered "bigger tubes". The brace was so tight, I had to pound it on with the aid of baby powder. I could position it anywhere on the tube and it's not going anywhere. Including under recoil. So, if I didn't hammer it down far enough, I'm not in compliance? Lol. Yeah, they are ridiculous.
Randygmn

Postby FJ540 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:25 pm

When I first got my SBX, I had to put my body weight into it to get it fully seated. Then I switched lowers it was on and it took some doing to get it off again. The Midwest Industries extended tube I got was a loose fit (it'd fall off - there was .010" slop) and with the inclusion of the Law folder it ended up way longer than I wanted so I ditched that and re-used the buffer tube I had been using. Under friction alone, it'll certainly withstand any recoil the gun generated.
FJ540

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Just get rid of the SBR BS rule and most of this crap disappears. Have yet to have anyone hassle me when I shoulder my "AOW" rifle with a shockwave stock. Its 28 inches long total but barrel is 12.5 inches. Or, just let folks go to a firearms store, let them run the paperwork like they do when buying a new rifle, pay the 200 bucks and have the store issue a temp stamp until ATF sends you one. Give you 30 days from approval to do the engraving. But that's to simple for the morons at the ATF.
Bearcatrp

Postby FJ540 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Just get rid of the SBR BS rule and most of this crap disappears. Have yet to have anyone hassle me when I shoulder my "AOW" rifle with a shockwave stock. Its 28 inches long total but barrel is 12.5 inches. Or, just let folks go to a firearms store, let them run the paperwork like they do when buying a new rifle, pay the 200 bucks and have the store issue a temp stamp until ATF sends you one. Give you 30 days from approval to do the engraving. But that's to simple for the morons at the ATF.

The tax stamp was an atrocity of the commerce clause meant to make possession functionally impossible for the vast majority of the population when it was implemented. It has never been about revenue or necessity - it's a relic of a failed attempt to ban handguns.

Eliminate the stamp entirely. It's an unlawful infringement on the citizen's right to acquire, possess, and dispose of property they're rightfully just in doing so otherwise.
FJ540

Postby goalie on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:42 am

FJ540 wrote:
The tax stamp was an atrocity of the commerce clause meant to make possession functionally impossible for the vast majority of the population when it was implemented. It has never been about revenue or necessity - it's a relic of a failed attempt to ban handguns.

Yup. It was like having a 10,000 dollar stamp to buy one today. It was an exorbitant amount of money to the average citizen when the law was implemented. Just because inflation has made it more of a PITA than a complete deal breaker doesn't make it right.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Randygmn on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:48 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Just get rid of the SBR BS rule and most of this crap disappears. Have yet to have anyone hassle me when I shoulder my "AOW" rifle with a shockwave stock. Its 28 inches long total but barrel is 12.5 inches. Or, just let folks go to a firearms store, let them run the paperwork like they do when buying a new rifle, pay the 200 bucks and have the store issue a temp stamp until ATF sends you one. Give you 30 days from approval to do the engraving. But that's to simple for the morons at the ATF.

Haven't been hassled? I guess you haven't been to Bill's, lol. There's been pretty much a ban on shouldering the brace. I wonder how they feel now?
Randygmn

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:55 pm

I should go there just to piss them off. I put a VFG since its over 26 inches and put the butt stock close but not touching the shoulder. Easy to do with the VFG. Time we get a petition together and fight to abolish the ATF in some form to get them away from making these dumb ass rulings. What's the difference between a 9 inch 44mag semi and a 10.5 inch 5.56? The 5.56 needs a god dam $200 dollar tax stamp but both will kill and long distance!
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:I should go there just to piss them off. I put a VFG since its over 26 inches and put the butt stock close but not touching the shoulder. Easy to do with the VFG. Time we get a petition together and fight to abolish the ATF in some form to get them away from making these dumb ass rulings. What's the difference between a 9 inch 44mag semi and a 10.5 inch 5.56? The 5.56 needs a god dam $200 dollar tax stamp but both will kill and long distance!

Who makes a 9 in .44 mag semi auto?
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to General Gun Chat