What laws relate to where your bullets go?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: What laws relate to where your bullets go?

Postby Ghost on Tue May 09, 2017 12:02 pm

wasfuzz wrote:As MJY65 stated STFU about it, until a conclusion is reached.!

But, this is one of the more interesting threads here
Ghost

Postby ttousi on Tue May 09, 2017 12:15 pm

photogpat wrote:
ttousi wrote:caution....DNR regs....motor vehicle..........loaded long gun

Private property?

yes!
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby FJ540 on Tue May 09, 2017 12:29 pm

A tractor is a farm implement, not a motor vehicle. They're not titled, they're not required to be licensed for on-road use, and in fact there's no license option for them at all (my atv has a lifetime farm license which permits it's use on the road without 3yr DNR tags). I don't drive my tractor on the public road much, but will keep that in mind when I do. My FIL has a second "storage" cabin 1/2 mile up the road from the main place, and I do use it up there on occasion.

If you look at the window on the mag, that one's empty. ;) I'll bring an AR pistol up just to be on the kosher side of the law regardless.

Being a certified blue hang tag issued cripple, I could probably get a permit to hunt from a vehicle. Walking that 1/8th mile up to the pond on a 20' elevation change is taxing on both my knees, but I need the exercise and I'm suffering through it until my next doc visit to see what he says. I've been told to avoid stairs. :cry:
FJ540

Postby izisin on Tue May 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Put up a wall to catch the incoming bullets. 2x4s and water board would work. Proof and property damage should get the sheriff to act.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
izisin

Postby Ghost on Tue May 09, 2017 2:11 pm

ttousi wrote:
photogpat wrote:
ttousi wrote:caution....DNR regs....motor vehicle..........loaded long gun

Private property?

yes!

I got tickets once for a firearm on an ATV and two on an ATV on private property. DNR didn't care where I was. Innocently enough I gave my father, who had been hunting, a 100 yard ride to his truck. I wasn't hunting but they didn't care that there was no ill intent. Lawyer took care of it.
Ghost

Re:

Postby FJ540 on Tue May 09, 2017 2:15 pm

izisin wrote:Put up a wall to catch the incoming bullets. 2x4s and water board would work. Proof and property damage should get the sheriff to act.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

You seem to think this is a little parcel. I have 1/2 mile of lot line which faces the "back lots" along a beach road (opposite side is lakefront property). Putting up a wall is not practical, and not desirable for numerous reasons. I've called in other neighbors for shooting into our property in the past as well. Fortunately, they tend to go high in the canopy, but my house is going to be at a higher elevation than where those bullets have been. We need to stop this dangerous behavior from all my neighbors, unfortunately for me, I'm their least favorite person because they used to get free run of my place before we bought it, so getting them to understand their recklessness is a bit of a challenge.

The Sheriffs department is acting. Sgt #2 took lots of pictures showing that there's a clear line of sight from where I was when bullets were entering my property (you can see vehicles and buildings along the road from my pond). It's unsafe even if they owned the lot they were shooting from, even if I wasn't there at the time they were shooting. They continued shooting after being informed it was unsafe - that's the problem. The Mrs. never reported the incident she had with the same neighbor in the past (pretty sure it was last year when I was recovering from surgery at home). I try to avoid being up there on weekends and she ends up there for multiple days at a time because she takes care of my very disabled FIL and he's retired and would rather live there full time than his home in the metro.
FJ540

What laws relate to where your bullets go?

Postby LumberZach on Tue May 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Ghost wrote:
ttousi wrote:
photogpat wrote:[quote="ttousi"]caution....DNR regs....motor vehicle..........loaded long gun

Private property?

yes!

I got tickets once for a firearm on an ATV and two on an ATV on private property. DNR didn't care where I was. Innocently enough I gave my father, who had been hunting, a 100 yard ride to his truck. I wasn't hunting but they didn't care that there was no ill intent. Lawyer took care of it.[/quote]

A "pistol" will take care of any grey area here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby ttousi on Tue May 09, 2017 4:22 pm

FWIW

Over the past 15years every CO I’ve had speaking at FAS classes specifically states a motor vehicle is anything powered by a motor or being pulled (ie trailer) including farm tractors.
Seems to be borne out by MN 169.011

MN 169.011 DEFINITIONS
Subd. 42.Motor vehicle.
"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires. Motor vehicle does not include an electric personal assistive mobility device or a vehicle moved solely by human power.

Does not matter whether it is private or public land.

Additionally if it’s uncased and you say you are hunting it best be during a season that is open and you have license for. The CO’s have cautioned that it does not apply year round.
While 624 .7181 states you can carry a loaded long gun in public it does not apply to a motor vehicle

2016 Minnesota Hunting Regulations
GENERAL HUNTING INFORMATION
The following are general hunting regulations. Regulations for specific
game species follow:
HOW DO I LEGALLY TRANSPORT MY FIREARM?
A person may not transport a firearm, including a handgun, in or on a
motor vehicle unless the firearm is:
• unloaded* and fastened in a case so that no part of the firearm is
exposed (a holster is not a legal case);
• unloaded* and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or
• carried under a permit to carry a pistol or handgun.

Under the following circumstances, a person may transport unloaded,
uncased firearms (excluding pistols) in a motor vehicle, including ATVs:
• while at a shooting range with permission
while lawfully hunting on private or public land or while travelling to
or from a site the person intends to hunt or trap or has lawfully hunted
that day.

YMMV

ETA Good idea
I'll bring an AR pistol up just to be on the kosher side of the law regardless.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby FJ540 on Tue May 09, 2017 5:04 pm

ttousi wrote:FWIW

Over the past 15years every CO I’ve had speaking at FAS classes specifically states a motor vehicle is anything powered by a motor or being pulled (ie trailer) including farm tractors.
Seems to be borne out by MN 169.011

MN 169.011 DEFINITIONS
Subd. 42.Motor vehicle.
"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires. Motor vehicle does not include an electric personal assistive mobility device or a vehicle moved solely by human power.

Does not matter whether it is private or public land.

Additionally if it’s uncased and you say you are hunting it best be during a season that is open and you have license for. The CO’s have cautioned that it does not apply year round.
While 624 .7181 states you can carry a loaded long gun in public it does not apply to a motor vehicle

2016 Minnesota Hunting Regulations
GENERAL HUNTING INFORMATION
The following are general hunting regulations. Regulations for specific
game species follow:
HOW DO I LEGALLY TRANSPORT MY FIREARM?
A person may not transport a firearm, including a handgun, in or on a
motor vehicle unless the firearm is:
• unloaded* and fastened in a case so that no part of the firearm is
exposed (a holster is not a legal case);
• unloaded* and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or
• carried under a permit to carry a pistol or handgun.

Under the following circumstances, a person may transport unloaded,
uncased firearms (excluding pistols) in a motor vehicle, including ATVs:
• while at a shooting range with permission
while lawfully hunting on private or public land or while travelling to
or from a site the person intends to hunt or trap or has lawfully hunted
that day.

YMMV

ETA Good idea
I'll bring an AR pistol up just to be on the kosher side of the law regardless.

Good info, thanks Tom!
FJ540

Postby David on Tue May 09, 2017 5:07 pm

As I have heard the background story about these neighbors before, I'm eager to see how this works out! Please let us know!
David

Postby FJ540 on Tue May 09, 2017 5:29 pm

David wrote:As I have heard the background story about these neighbors before, I'm eager to see how this works out! Please let us know!

This isn't complainer #1 or #2. This is different idiots who want to buy me out but don't like my asking price of 5x what I paid (I'm not interested in selling, but I do have my price :lol: ).

ETA: My line hunting/poaching neighbors are on the opposite side from here. And the line hunting/baiting neighbors are to the North and not a problem outside of deer season either. The guy who was illegally hunting on Gary's property (neighbor between me and the source of shooting this time) was also shooting and having rounds coming into my place, but that was a one-time deal that I'm aware of. We have a little more buffer between us and them due to the angle the beach road is on and how the lot lines are laid out.
Last edited by FJ540 on Tue May 09, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FJ540

Postby yukonjasper on Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Seems like you have many opponents. Must have gotten off on the wrong foot. Too bad, that's no way to live.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby FJ540 on Tue May 09, 2017 5:40 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Seems like you have many opponents. Must have gotten off on the wrong foot. Too bad, that's no way to live.

This land was the apple of their proverbial eye and everyone and their brother was waiting to buy it. I took initiative and made the purchase which made me the most hated man on the block over night. I'd been coming to this lake for 4 years prior to buying 2 different parcels without anyone caring what I did, and once I became an owner it all started to get rough.

I don't blame them for being upset, but harassing me isn't going to get them a desired outcome. The Mrs' and I have already discussed that none of them will ever own it. I'm even contemplating putting a covenant on it to that effect so that no one in any relationship to these families will ever be able to buy it - just in case something happens to me.
FJ540

Postby FJ540 on Tue May 09, 2017 5:44 pm

It also didn't help that I was 35 at the time and younger than some of their kids when I beat them to it. :mrgreen:

Bunch of sore losers!
FJ540

Postby Jack's My dog on Tue May 09, 2017 5:51 pm

MJY65 wrote:
FJ540 wrote:As for leaving it to the law: I don't really have a choice. If it continues, it may end up becoming a defensive situation, but I'd rather not go there. I gave him the benefit of doubt that it was a mistake, he pushed on. He shoots at me again, I'm not going to take it kindly.

Since this is an ongoing situation with the potential for future events, I'd suggest you refrain from any further discussion in public.

Yup,even if it is only a civil action, I couldn't imagine how this would not be subject to discovery. But I am no lawyer.
Jack's My dog

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat