Brand new DPMS panther AR15 for $374 from Brownells

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Randygmn on Sat May 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Well, this is certainly the cheapest I've seen a brand new AR15 sell for, EVER and I'm 50y/o. (I agree the DPMS isn't the highest grade rifle, but, this price is literally unbeatable)

Rifle normally sells for $550. But after the sale price and rebate, comes out to $374. Receiver set is 7075 and the rifle weighs 6.2 pounds. Assuming the rest is Mispec and it's reliable, this could be the best deal ever, as either an entry level rifle or if you want to stock up for the family or arm your local Militia. Fwiw- it's IMPOSSIBLE to build one from scratch for this price.

http://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifle ... MifQ%3D%3D
Randygmn

Re: Brand new DPMS panther AR15 for $374 from Brownells

Postby LarryFlew on Sat May 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Almost cheap enough to make me put a 4th one in the safe :-)
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby prushin on Sat May 27, 2017 3:32 pm

You can get the same deal from Bill's Gun Shop and save the shipping.
prushin

Postby goett047 on Sat May 27, 2017 8:25 pm

prushin wrote:You can get the same deal from Bill's Gun Shop and save the shipping.

Link?
goett047

Postby Randygmn on Sat May 27, 2017 9:36 pm

prushin wrote:You can get the same deal from Bill's Gun Shop and save the shipping.

Free shipping with Brownells until the end of the month with code MAY.
Randygmn

Postby prushin on Sun May 28, 2017 12:41 am

Squib Joe wrote:I don't post deals too often but this seems like a good one. DPMS Oracle AR-15 on sale at all Bill's Gun Shop locations for 449.00 and get an additional $75.00 mail-in rebate from DPMS

prushin

Postby Scratch on Sun May 28, 2017 6:05 am

But you gotta pay tax...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Hmac on Sun May 28, 2017 6:51 am

The Hi-Point of the black rifle world. I would be suspicious of the quality of any standard-caliber firearm that I could buy new for $374
Hmac

Postby ex-LT on Sun May 28, 2017 7:06 am

Hmac wrote:The Hi-Point of the black rifle world. I would be suspicious of the quality of any standard-caliber firearm that I could buy new for $374

Just sayin'.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby ex-LT on Sun May 28, 2017 7:11 am

Scratch wrote:

But you gotta pay tax...

Technically, you have to pay tax on mail/internet order items, too.
MN Dept of Revenue wrote:Individual Use Tax
Use tax is the counterpart of sales tax. You owe use tax when Minnesota sales tax is not charged on taxable items you buy, whether you buy them in Minnesota or outside the state.

For example, if you travel to another state or country and bring back items that are normally taxed in Minnesota, you owe use tax on those purchases. The same applies if you buy taxable items through mail-order catalogs or the Internet and Minnesota sales tax is not charged on the purchase.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Randygmn on Sun May 28, 2017 7:24 am

Hmac wrote:The Hi-Point of the black rifle world. I would be suspicious of the quality of any standard-caliber firearm that I could buy new for $374

Well, not really. It normally sells for $575. Seems, just like SW, they've been put on sale nationwide, in addition to a rebate. Sometimes a good deal is a good deal. Would I use this for a life and liberty rifle? No. But I wouldn't use AR's from Ruger, SW, Springfield, bushmaster, etc, etc, etc, either. For a defensive weapon, quality rifles from Advanced Armament, Daniel Defense, BCM, KAC, POF, LWRC, LMT and maybe Colt, are required, imo. Still, this DPMS is a great beginners gun, range toy or training rifle. The whole point is that for $375, you can't build this rifle and there hasn't been an AR sold at this price that I can recall, ever.
Randygmn

Postby goett047 on Sun May 28, 2017 8:02 am

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remingto ... 709955.uts
goett047

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun May 28, 2017 9:43 am

I disagree!! I bought a Colt AR-15 SP1 for $125 BRAND NEW in the original cheap cardboard box back in 1975. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
In addition, I think there is a distinction between levels of quality of AR-15's, which all work the same and have interchangeable parts, and comparing a 1911 or any other locked breech pistol with a Hi point, which is a blow-back POS that had to be turned into a boat anchor to get it to work. While there is a great deal of difference between a stock AR-15 trigger :barf: and a Jewel 2 stage trigger, what about the firing pin, or handguard, or all the fiddly little parts in the lower?? They're pretty much ALL THE SAME.

Plus, lets perform a "thought experiment" and imagine that Hillary won the election. Would the exact same gun that we're talking about here somehow be MORE trustworthy and reliable if it cost $1200?? I think not.

And speaking of cheap, poorly fitted together guns, what about an AK-47?? Who in their right mind would trust their life with something like THAT??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Hmac on Sun May 28, 2017 11:27 am

Seismic Sam wrote:

I disagree!! I think there is a distinction between levels of quality of AR-15's, which all work the same and have interchangeable parts, and comparing a 1911 or any other locked breech pistol with a Hi point, which is a blow-back POS that had to be turned into a boat anchor to get it to work.

DPMS, like it's Freedom Group siblings, is known for corner-cutting when it comes to the quality of those parts, and the overall quality control not only of those parts, but of the overall rifle. "POS boat anchor" is pretty much how I see it. As has been stated in this thread, DPMS is of suspect quality. Generally, I'm opposed to buying guns that can be described that way but I acknowledge that some of you may have different standards for your own firearms.
Hmac

Postby FJ540 on Sun May 28, 2017 4:09 pm

When Randy ran DPMS, quality was suspect. 20 years ago. Freedom Group is continuing a long legacy of mediocrity.

Sadly, in 2012 there were a lot of Oracle grade DPMS and other brands sold for $1K. People were happy to buy them, but not happy about the price.

Meanwhile, I have a nice Adams Arms and Vltor rifle up for sale for $750 and have gotten exactly 0 response to it.
FJ540

Next

Return to General Gun Chat