Suburban Rabbit Jihad suggestions.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Suburban Rabbit Jihad suggestions.

Postby hammAR on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Clams.............
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby wasfuzz on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 pm

fine ape wrote:
Chunkychuck wrote:The old wives tale rule I always heard was not to eat rabbit in any month that did not have an "R" in it.

Think that's rhubarb or is it asparagus?

I heard you can''t eat rabbit in any month you spell rabbit with an "R"
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby smurfman on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:40 pm

One thing to remember is that you cannot make use of any rabbits you kill outside of established hunting seasons. If you do, you are poaching. The law allows for the removal of rabbits and squirrels outside of the established hunting seasons but only as pests, not for consumption or other use. One has to dispose of the entire carcass if the hunting season is not open.
smurfman

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 pm

hammAR wrote:Tularemia, commonly known as rabbit fever - is an infectious disease caused by a parasitic bacterium.

Wear rubber gloves when cleaning - I would worry more about the ticks and lice............My $.02

On wild rabbits you should check their liver for white or yellowish spots, which indicate the infection. I never had this issue with the rabbits I raised. But, they were never exposed to the same things the wild ones were. We hunted the wild ones in spring and fall (before fall deer season) and I never personally saw an infected rabbit. Here's a good article I found that might help https://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/2013/02/25/rabbit-hunters-take-note-steps-to-avoid-tularemia/

Thanks hammAR I couldn't remember what the disease "Tularemia" was called.

As for the months without the "R", we always used that rule for not eating Oysters or Clams raw. I believe that came about due to the lack of refrigeration/ice in the old days. I still think the ones harvested in the cooler months (with the "R") taste better ;)
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby FJ540 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:40 am

CCI has these wonderful little pills that have more oomph than super colibri's, and tend to run cheaper and easier to come by as well.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... loadNo=960

Out of a 21" barrel (my Savage Mk 2), these are quieter than the spring action on my air rifle.
FJ540

Postby gbono23 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:01 pm

I've been using a Ruger Break Action pellet gun. Its quiet and accurate, I've been shooting at 20 - 25 yards. Came with a decent scope and I think it was under $200.
gbono23

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat