Suburban Rabbit Jihad suggestions.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Rabbits are eating my landscaping - Hosta, Coneflowers, Tiger Lily, Toad Lily. I'm pissed and need some ideas. Live on a lake with a fairly large un-managed portion of the lot adjacent to the lake - good habitat. I'm tired of providing a buffet. I think an air rifle will have to used. Any other successful tactics.

Any suggestions for an air rifle or pistol under $200?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Suburban Rabbit Jihad suggestions.

Postby westhope on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Air rifle (not BB gun) using head shots only will be fine. I killed many a rabbit that way in my teens.

The Aguila 22 Colibri would be fine too at close range. As quiet as an air rifle. (Won't cycle semi-autos.)

https://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Thank you. I found a box of sub sonics that I'll have to try out to see how quiet they really are. I don't have a .22 bolt gun, I suppose I could use my 10-22, but I assume a bolt would be quieter.

I did just find my Gammo Wisper rifle. Shoots a .177 pellet. I had a tin of 10.5grain lead pellets around here somewhere also, but did a remodel last winter and can't find anything. I think the 10.5 grains should have enough energy to take out a bunny if I hit it in the brain pan, right?

Never used anything other than a bb gun as a kid, so high velocity air rifles are a new thing for me.

I'm seeing pellet lube oil - good idea or not?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby smurfman on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:06 pm

I've been doing the same except with an Iver Johnson Sealed 8 revolver and CB caps. Noise is pretty low and it allows me to use this ammo for a good purpose. So far it has accounted for 8 rabbits this week and adding the dozen babies my wife found and killed in her flower garden on Saturday, we have only a bazillion left.

In years gone by, I have used a wrist rocket to rid the yard of various pests as the neighbors would have been quick to call the police if there was any hint of a firearm being used. I might have to dig it back out and give it a try in an effort to relive some of my younger days. I just wish I still had a nearly unlimited supply of free taconite pellets to use as projectiles, ball bearings and marbles are much more expensive these days.
smurfman

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:32 pm

smurfman wrote:In years gone by, I have used a wrist rocket to rid the yard of various pests as the neighbors would have been quick to call the police if there was any hint of a firearm being used. I might have to dig it back out and give it a try in an effort to relive some of my younger days. I just wish I still had a nearly unlimited supply of free taconite pellets to use as projectiles, ball bearings and marbles are much more expensive these days.

We used wrist rockets - I bet its still in the house somewhere, without the rubber, I'm sure they have rotted. We also and had an unlimited supply of taconite pellets since we lived right on a rail line on the iron range - heading up to take care of my Mom this weekend but the rail line was decommissioned years ago, I doubt there would be pellets left. if I track down some, I'll pick up a bucket full and let you know.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Do you guys eat the rabbits? If so, are they good? I ask, because I used to hunt ant eat rabbits when I lived in GA. I also raised Californian Rabbits for meat, and sold the pelts to the local furrier. We started raising the rabbits to feed my 13' Albino Burmese Python, but after they got to about 8+ weeks, they were too big for her. So, I learned to love rabbit meat ;)
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:54 pm

I have eaten rabbit and love it. That was always fall and winter rabbits. Not sure if its true or not, but was told growing up that rabbit meat in the summer was no good - they get "boils" whatever that means. Never hunted them other than fall and winter. If I can verify that the meat is OK, I'll eat what I kill, would be good marinated and grilled, but I bet they would be tough that way. We always braised or crock pot cooked them. They will taste like Hostas and Lilies :lol:
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Got a few of those in the freezer - good eating
gun_fan111v2

Postby xd ED on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:03 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Thank you. I found a box of sub sonics that I'll have to try out to see how quiet they really are. I don't have a .22 bolt gun, I suppose I could use my 10-22, but I assume a bolt would be quieter.

I did just find my Gammo Wisper rifle. Shoots a .177 pellet. I had a tin of 10.5grain lead pellets around here somewhere also, but did a remodel last winter and can't find anything. I think the 10.5 grains should have enough energy to take out a bunny if I hit it in the brain pan, right?

Never used anything other than a bb gun as a kid, so high velocity air rifles are a new thing for me.

I'm seeing pellet lube oil - good idea or not?

10 gr pellets are definitely on the heavy/ thumper side.. rainbow trajectory, but accurate in the right gun.
Better test those subsonics somewhere it's OK to shoot. They won't be much quieter than regular 22r.
CB caps will probably work for you. Check your zero with them, Time your shot to other noise...traffic, lawnmower, etc.
Also with any low power ammo, make sure you see an impact. If they jamb in the barrel, a follow up shot will likely ruin your day.
I got a lot of rabbits around right now, which means the owls, hawks, and feral cats will be around as well.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby hammAR on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Tularemia, commonly known as rabbit fever - is an infectious disease caused by a parasitic bacterium.

Wear rubber gloves when cleaning - I would worry more about the ticks and lice............My $.02
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Lumpy on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:00 pm

It is legal to set wire snares for them?
Lumpy

Postby speedy396 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:33 pm

I used Liquid Fence on my flower bed. May not be economical on really large areas and it stinks. But, it worked. I never seem to have my pellet rifle handy when I see the chubby buggers!
speedy396

Postby Chunkychuck on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:30 pm

The old wives tale rule I always heard was not to eat rabbit in any month that did not have an "R" in it.
Chunkychuck

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Found a 15 grain pellet on Amazon. We'll see if that will do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby fine ape on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Chunkychuck wrote:The old wives tale rule I always heard was not to eat rabbit in any month that did not have an "R" in it.

Think that's rhubarb or is it asparagus?
fine ape

Next

Return to General Gun Chat