Adding a caliber...

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Adding a caliber...

Postby Rodentman on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Well I learned enough to be retiring on 1 Sept.
Rodentman

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:27 am

dleong wrote:By the way, isn't it a little too late in life for you to be learning about money? :mrgreen:

If I only had Half of his money, I'd throw mine away and enjoy retiring (changing the tires on my wheelbarrow) :writersblock:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:58 am

I had a Ruger Alaskan in 44 mag. Nice range toy. Never liked the look on those. Basically Ruger jammed a barrel on an Alaskan pistol. I prefer the red hawk look. Enjoy. Don't forget pics of this fire breathing beast.
Bearcatrp

Postby Rodentman on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:16 am

Just to clarify. As you are no doubt painfully aware I have a few guns. A LOT of people have a LOT more. I am not wealthy, but we sacrifice other activities. The last vacation I took was in 1982 when we drove to Winnipeg for a week. We took some weekend trips to Duluth and Wisconsin Dells, but we don't take cruises, frequent the opera or ballay, once I lost the lead role in Swine Lake, or have season tickets to sporting events. We don't drink, smoke, or dine out. I can't recall the last time we had a steak.

I stay away from mousetraps and the green pellets that Sam has hidden in the nooks and crannies of my humble adobe.

I am lucky to be getting a 6 figure severance package from work and hope to settle into retirement as gracefully as my lumbering bulk will allow. I'm fairly well stocked on reloading components and look forward to spending more time at OGC and DCGC. Anyone is always welcome to meet up and share shooting. Even if you think the gun is ugly, which indeed many of them are.

My greatest enjoyment is being with my kids and grandkids. Never underestimate the value and importance of your family.
Rodentman

Postby Rodentman on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:26 am

And back to the finish on the gun: I will advise if there is any damage as I use the gun. Again, I find it odd that some feel the finish is quite durable and others not. Clearly there is always an element of subjectivity in such matters, people's expectations, but I've read quite disparate views.

I suspect that plain old SS would be the polygon of durability. We shall see. The gun was fired as evidence by the black rings on the front of the cylinder. I am seldom bothered by that. I DO try to keep the FA's clean in that area though due to the narrow cylinder gap and the fact that I remove the cylinders to clean the gun.
Rodentman

Postby crbutler on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Interesting. Almost as odd as my new .318 Westly Richards.... :?
crbutler

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 am

Neither are as off the wall or depraved as my 9x25 SSX (Seismic Sam Xpress) - the cartridge puts a 90 grain 9mm hollowpoint out of a 6" barrel at 2150 FPS..... :( :o :shock: :? Unfortunately, it looks like a plain old EAA, so it has very little intrinsic fugliness....

I do find it interesting that our s steamed Rodentman has managed to parlay his weirdness and general fustiness into a 6 figure ransom payment to scuttle into his rathole and never come back out...

Color me slightly jealous....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby dleong on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:32 am

Seismic Sam wrote:I do find it interesting that our s steamed Rodentman has managed to parlay his weirdness and general fustiness into a 6 figure ransom payment to scuttle into his rathole and never come back out...

Wait till he discovers the 6-figure retirement check he's getting is made out in Zimbabwean dollars...
dleong

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:11 pm

i DON'T BELIEVE ITS A TUMBLE ON FINISH AS I HAVE A RUGER MARK II IN 25-06 WITH SAME FINISH.

Sorry about caps above.

Rifle is Stainless Steel with a Teflon coating.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Rodentman on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Took the 480 to DCGC today and had fun with these loads:

10.0g Titegroup under 340g MO coated bullet
15.0g Unique under 275g Speer GD JHP
30.0g 4227 under 275g Speer GD JHP

Not full house loads, but more than adequate for fun shooting. I can see shooting a lot of the MO bullets since they work fine, don't lead, and are a LOT cheaper. The target doesn't much care. I thought of loading pansy loads of 6.5g Trail Boss but don't really see any value in that. I'll clean up the gun and check to see how the finish is doing. It looks durable. I wish I looked as good.
Rodentman

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Rodentman wrote:Took the 480 to DCGC today and had fun with these loads:

10.0g Titegroup under 340g MO coated bullet
15.0g Unique under 275g Speer GD JHP
30.0g 4227 under 275g Speer GD JHP

Not full house loads, but more than adequate for fun shooting. I can see shooting a lot of the MO bullets since they work fine, don't lead, and are a LOT cheaper. The target doesn't much care. I thought of loading pansy loads of 6.5g Trail Boss but don't really see any value in that. I'll clean up the gun and check to see how the finish is doing. It looks durable. I wish I looked as good.

Just throw yourself in the Wet Tumbler for about 4 hours and you'll come out real shiny. I'm not sure those "rat" tattoos will survive though. They may end up, upside down :rock:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby INOR on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:26 am

So, one thing I've pondered with you reloading types....do you shoot in support of your reloading hobby or do you reload to support your shooting hobby? It seems like reloading becomes a hobby for people in and of itself!
INOR

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:33 am

INOR wrote:So, one thing I've pondered with you reloading types....do you shoot in support of your reloading hobby or do you reload to support your shooting hobby? It seems like reloading becomes a hobby for people in and of itself!

YES
OldmanFCSA

Postby Rodentman on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:09 pm

dleong wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:I do find it interesting that our s steamed Rodentman has managed to parlay his weirdness and general fustiness into a 6 figure ransom payment to scuttle into his rathole and never come back out...

Wait till he discovers the 6-figure retirement check he's getting is made out in Zimbabwean dollars...

No they won't get away with that. They tried that when I was obsoleted at my last job, and I won't fall for it again:

Rodentman

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat