Adding a caliber...

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Adding a caliber...

Postby Rodentman on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:20 pm

I am adding 480 Ruger to my reloading bench. Bullets, brass, and dies and trimming tools are on order...not a wide choice of bullets but ordered a slug from MO bullets as well as some jacketed.

Rodentman

Re: Adding a caliber...

Postby hammAR on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:56 pm

:shock:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Ghost on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Awaiting pictures of the flame
Ghost

Postby Rodentman on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:25 pm

I'll work on that. Have a good supply of H110 and Lil Gun. Should be fun.
Rodentman

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Remind me to NOT get in a Grip contest with you. Those big dang caliber kicking gun's you love, would kill my wrist :shock:

BTW that's a Handsome Piece of Iron you got there. :bowdown:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:24 pm

Nice. Are you gonna get a holster for it, or just put it in your pocket?
Pat Cannon

Postby fine ape on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:43 pm

Ooo.... nice . Is that the Hawkeye gray coating on it?
fine ape

Postby Rodentman on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:59 am

It's Ruger's proprietary target grey finish. I can find references that it is sprayed on the metal, but some say that it is a tumbling in media process. Hopefully not in main stream media. I read that some feel the finish is fragile, others say it is quite durable. None of my guns gets hoisted out into the harsh hinterlands hunting, so I am sure it will stay looking better than I do.

Yes I have a Uncle Mike's holster for it. I should have the reloading supplies by Wednesday.
Rodentman

Adding a caliber...

Postby INOR on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:01 am

You need to install some rails on that thing and make it tacticool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby dleong on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:20 am

Rodentman wrote:It's Ruger's proprietary target grey finish. I can find references that it is sprayed on the metal, but some say that it is a tumbling in media process. Hopefully not in main stream media. I read that some feel the finish is fragile, others say it is quite durable. None of my guns gets hoisted out into the harsh hinterlands hunting, so I am sure it will stay looking better than I do.

Ruger's proprietary "Target Grey" finish is achieved through tumbling in a chemically treated medium. Looks dapper, but, from personal experience, unacceptably fragile, and there is no way to touch up the finish. I've had to send both my .454 and .480 SRHs back to Ruger several times for refinishing due to the TG finish rubbing off from just routine (and careful, I might add) handling. On both SRHs, the front face of the cylinder is thankfully unfinished (i.e., bare steel), but the blast reflected back from the C/B gap will start wearing the TG finish off the forward circumference of the cylinder right from your first range session, especially if you're shooting magnum loads. Looks pretty unsightly after a while. Ruger has indicated they can only refinish my SRHs in satin stainless the next time I send them back, which will probably be for the better.

I acquired my 9.5" .480 SRH some years ago from CDNN when they were closing out some "new old" stock for $480 apiece:

As received from CDNN, the gun had obvious handling wear, and was immediately sent on its first trip back to Ruger for refinishing.

Nowadays, I don't shoot the gun very often as jacketed/plated projectiles in that caliber are expensive and/or hard to find. Some years back, Rainier was offering a reasonably priced 328 gr. plated HP projectile rated to magnum velocities that shot extremely accurately in the SRH, but alas, they've since stopped making them. I purchased 1000 of these projectiles when they were available, and am down to my last 200 or so of them.
dleong

Postby Ghost on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:21 am

INOR wrote:You need to install some rails on that thing and make it tacticool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget the skateboard tape
Ghost

Postby ijosef on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:34 am

Very nice! Our popular calibers are ubiquitous for many reasons, many of which have nothing to do with performance. Since the market is so saturated with different types of rounds, it's tough to get a foothold. Sure, the 7mmWSM might be superior to the 30.06 in almost every way (for a specific application), but the 30.06 is still plenty good enough - not to mention far more affordable with a much larger selection of rifles in that chambering.

I like the .480 Ruger and it's a shame it didn't catch on. From most reports, it does a good job of giving you a giant magnum revolver round without breaking your wrist in the process. I find the .500S&W extremely unpleasant to shoot.
ijosef

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:17 pm

It's not HALF ugly enough for you to own!! Send it back immediately!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Rodentman on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:49 pm

It's not new and has been fired with no noticeable wear. I will be very careful with it, and if it turns ugly enough it will match my alleged appearance. Odd that some people find the finish fragile and others find it durable. Well, one man's confection is another man's sweet.

I'll just write it off to covféfé if it deteriorates.

ETA I ordered the Hogue grips for it.
Rodentman

Postby dleong on Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:28 pm

By the way, isn't it a little too late in life for you to be learning about money? :mrgreen:
dleong

Next

Return to General Gun Chat