What are the rules for private sale of a handgun in MN?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: What are the rules for private sale of a handgun in MN?

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:54 pm

I hope I am wrong and you will become a cornerstone member here, but you asked why people would be suspicious and I gave you my opinion of what might trigger those thoughts.

We get a few Trolls through here every so often so we are alert when it starts to feel like another has arrived.

It's not too late you can introduce yourself.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:40 pm

If you hang around you will see first hand that the trolls we get coming through almost always start with a question like yours.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby photogpat on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:17 am

LarryFlew wrote:If you hang around you will see first hand that the trolls we get coming through almost always start with a question like yours.

Bingo. Overly simple name. Info gathering on standard topic easily Googled.

Troll is looking for anti-gun propaganda.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Randygmn on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:18 am

If the original poster is a troll- I'm not sure what he was after. Seems like he's on a fool's errand. Gun owners are the most law abiding demographic in America. Those posting on a public forum, even more so. Was he looking to get an answer to his question like this: "place a discreet classified ad, then agree to meet in Walmart's parking lot at 2am and complete a no questions asked, cash transaction from the trunk of my car"? Because guess what- that exact transaction is 100% LEGAL, as it should be. I gave him the benefit of the doubt early on and answered his question. If he's one of us, he should introduce himself and be willing to share some personal specifics to create some trust. If he's a Liberal Terrorist™ looking for information in an effort to subvert the Bill of Rights and infringe on my God given rights to keep and bear arms, he'll quickly realize he's in radically hostile territory and would be better served hanging out in a bloomberg safe-space with the other frigid moms.
Randygmn

Postby xd ED on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:43 am

I'm curious as to what the cynics think might be gained by the trolling of which they accuse the OP.

The internet is full of erroneous, and worthless opinions, so to create propaganda value with some contrived 'gotcha' Q & A seems a bit far fetched.
If someone is looking for the proverbial slip of the tongue; i.e. someone posting some illicit process for a transfer for propaganda purposes, any worthy troll, or agent provocateur could simply ask, and answer his own question with a sock puppet, achieving whatever silly, 'damning' response they choose.

That said, the post was, for whatever reason, an inefficient means to gain information.
Any pro, or anti-rights individual has the same access to the interweb for legit information, so the truth is out there, if that is the desired goal.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby photogpat on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:31 pm

*waves*
Last edited by photogpat on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby ABC123 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:45 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I hope I am wrong and you will become a cornerstone member here, but you asked why people would be suspicious and I gave you my opinion of what might trigger those thoughts.

We get a few Trolls through here every so often so we are alert when it starts to feel like another has arrived.

It's not too late you can introduce yourself.

I am a Christian first, a constitutionalist second, and a lurker mostly on forums. I don't divulge much personal information on the internet, especially on a forum dedicated to gun ownership. I don't think it's wise.
ABC123

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:45 pm

Welcome, it's not necessary to give chapter and verse of your entire life, just standard protocol to sweat the new poster. Easier to relate to people if you know something about them. You shared. Thank you.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby jdege on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 pm

One important but I've not seen mentioned:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66

Subd. 1f.Gross misdemeanor; transferring firearm without background check. A person, other than a federally licensed firearms dealer, who transfers a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon to another without complying with the transfer requirements of section 624.7132, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if the transferee possesses or uses the weapon within one year after the transfer in furtherance of a felony crime of violence, and if:
(1) the transferee was prohibited from possessing the weapon under section 624.713 at the time of the transfer; or
(2) it was reasonably foreseeable at the time of the transfer that the transferee was likely to use or possess the weapon in furtherance of a felony crime of violence.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:58 pm

jdege wrote:One important but I've not seen mentioned:

Subd. 1f.Gross misdemeanor; transferring firearm without background check. A person, other than a federally licensed firearms dealer, who transfers a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon to another without complying with the transfer requirements of section 624.7132, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if the transferee possesses or uses the weapon within one year after the transfer in furtherance of a felony crime of violence, and if:
(1) the transferee was prohibited from possessing the weapon under section 624.713 at the time of the transfer; or
(2) it was reasonably foreseeable at the time of the transfer that the transferee was likely to use or possess the weapon in furtherance of a felony crime of violence.

That's why it's prudent to see a PTC/ PTP.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby ABC123 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:10 am

xd ED wrote:
jdege wrote:One important but I've not seen mentioned:

That's why it's prudent to see a PTC/ PTP.

Or, I suppose, the FTF could be done at a shop and do an official transfer, but someone would have to eat the fees.
ABC123

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:13 am

Since I moved to Wisconsin, most of my firearm transactions have occurred in Minnesota.
I PAY the fee in the required Federal Transfer - $20 pays for a lot of peace of mind.

Luckily I did a transfer for a rifle used to kill a Federal Marshall on a mountain top in Idaho.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Randygmn on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:43 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:Since I moved to Wisconsin, most of my firearm transactions have occurred in Minnesota.
I PAY the fee in the required Federal Transfer - $20 pays for a lot of peace of mind.

Luckily I did a transfer for a rifle used to kill a Federal Marshall on a mountain top in Idaho.

Holy crap- I'm not sure if you've shared THAT story here (link?)- but if not, I'd love to hear about it in a separate thread. Wow.
Randygmn

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:41 am

Randygmn wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:Since I moved to Wisconsin, most of my firearm transactions have occurred in Minnesota.

Holy crap- I'm not sure if you've shared THAT story here (link?)- but if not, I'd love to hear about it in a separate thread. Wow.

The rifle was transferred at a gun shop called The Bullet Hole (now closed) in Cedar Falls Iowa, near where I lived and the 200 yard range I used for testing. I was approached by the Buyer after I shot a 5-shot 1-hole group at 200 yards offering to pay double what I paid for rifle (Herter's Husqvarna). His intent to purchase at double my cost led me to arrange the transfer at the gun shop. His son later used the rifle. I did not know Randy when he worked at John Deere, only when we met at the rifle range. I never met his wife. He did ask if I wanted to move to Idaho, I debated it but said No. (I love northern Idaho - western Montana area.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Weaver
OldmanFCSA

Postby Randygmn on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:49 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Randygmn wrote:

The rifle was transferred at a gun shop called The Bullet Hole (now closed) in Cedar Falls Iowa, near where I lived and the 200 yard range I used for testing. I was approached by the Buyer after I shot a 5-shot 1-hole group at 200 yards offering to pay double what I paid for rifle (Herter's Husqvarna). His intent to purchase at double my cost led me to arrange the transfer at the gun shop. His son later used the rifle. I did not know Randy when he worked at John Deere, only when we met at the rifle range. I never met his wife. He did ask if I wanted to move to Idaho, I debated it but said No. (I love northern Idaho - western Montana area.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Weaver

Wait- you sold Randy Weaver the rifle he used in self defense on Ruby Ridge? Wow. I have no idea how you feel about it, but that would be a source of pride had it been me.
Randygmn

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat