What are the rules for private sale of a handgun in MN?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: What are the rules for private sale of a handgun in MN?

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:53 am

I'm surprised that fee didn't create an invisible force field on that Idaho mountaintop. I thought that's what fees did, keep everyone safer..............
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:59 am

Randygmn wrote:Holy crap- I'm not sure if you've shared THAT story here (link?)- but if not, I'd love to hear about it in a separate thread. Wow.

(I love northern Idaho - western Montana area.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Weaver

Wait- you sold Randy Weaver the rifle he used in self defense on Ruby Ridge? Wow. I have no idea how you feel about it, but that would be a source of pride had it been me.

NOT pride ......................................................... ???????????????????????????????????????? Not sure ......................................... Thin Blue Line.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Erud on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:08 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Randygmn wrote:Holy crap- I'm not sure if you've shared THAT story here (link?)- but if not, I'd love to hear about it in a separate thread. Wow.

(I love northern Idaho - western Montana area.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Weaver

Wait- you sold Randy Weaver the rifle he used in self defense on Ruby Ridge? Wow. I have no idea how you feel about it, but that would be a source of pride had it been me.

NOT pride ......................................................... ???????????????????????????????????????? Not sure ......................................... Thin Blue Line.

That killed his wife, son, and dog. Pretty sure you wouldn't have been on the hook if you had done an otherwise legal FTF sale without the FFL transfer.
Erud

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm pretty sure, as I remember it, that Randy Weaver didn't shoot anybody at Ruby Ridge.

Sammy Weaver used a Mini-14 and Kevin Harris used a 1917 Enfield rifle to fire at Agents. No mention of a Herters rifle that I've seen, so maybe that wasn't one of yours, OldmanFCSA
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Squib Joe wrote:I'm pretty sure, as I remember it, that Randy Weaver didn't shoot anybody at Ruby Ridge.

Sammy Weaver used a Mini-14 and Kevin Harris used a 1917 Enfield rifle to fire at Agents. No mention of a Herters rifle that I've seen, so maybe that wasn't one of yours, OldmanFCSA

Hope not - but it was information I received from a Federal Officer. After proving I did a legal transfer for suspect firearm, I was not bothered again.

This is part of reason why I require "legal transfers" on my sales of firearms - Legally not required but a requirement of mine which I pay for out my pocket.
OldmanFCSA

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Several years ago I contacted Randy Weaver, His decision was to sever all past memories.
OldmanFCSA

Re: What are rule for private sale of a handgun in MN?

Postby rmc51 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Randygmn wrote:No formal background check necessary. Must be over 21 for a pistol and must not sell to a prohibited person. If you suspect they are, don't sell.

Some folks, out of an abundance of caution, request to see a drivers license and a permit to purchase/carry. Some will even insist on a bill of sale to CYA.

This answer was put up in 2017. Has there been any changes to the law in MN for a FTF sale of a pistol. Can anyone point me to where I can find this info.

Thank you.
RMC
rmc51

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:57 pm

rmc51 wrote:
Randygmn wrote:No formal background check necessary. Must be over 21 for a pistol and must not sell to a prohibited person. If you suspect they are, don't sell.

Some folks, out of an abundance of caution, request to see a drivers license and a permit to purchase/carry. Some will even insist on a bill of sale to CYA.

This answer was put up in 2017. Has there been any changes to the law in MN for a FTF sale of a pistol. Can anyone point me to where I can find this info.

Thank you.
RMC

Nothing has changed.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby jdege on Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:36 pm

rmc51 wrote:This answer was put up in 2017. Has there been any changes to the law in MN for a FTF sale of a pistol. Can anyone point me to where I can find this info.

The important thing to understand is that if you sell a pistol or "assault weapon" to someone without seeing his DL and PTP or PTC, you're opening yourself to songs significant legal risk.

Minn. Stat. 609.66 Subd. 1f:
Gross misdemeanor; transferring firearm without background check.
A person, other than a federally licensed firearms dealer, who transfers a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon to another without complying with the transfer requirements of section 624.7132, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if the transferee possesses or uses the weapon within one year after the transfer in furtherance of a felony crime of violence, and if:
(1) the transferee was prohibited from possessing the weapon under section 624.713 at the time of the transfer; or

(2) it was reasonably foreseeable at the time of the transfer that the transferee was likely to use or possess the weapon in furtherance of a felony crime of violence.

If you don't know the buyer, and don't know for a fact that he's not a prohibited person, make seeing his DL and PTC a condition of sale, and make a copy.

Don't pin your hopes on "it want wasn't reasonably foreseeable". That's an argument and a subjective judgement call, which means lawyers arguing, which means wads of money out of your wallet, even if you win.
jdege

Postby rmc51 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:48 pm

Buyer is a CCW
rmc51

Postby rmc51 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:49 pm

bstrawse wrote:
rmc51 wrote:

Thank you.
RMC

Nothing has changed.

Bryan

Thanks for the come back.
rmc51

Postby rmc51 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:50 pm

jdege wrote:
rmc51 wrote:This answer was put up in 2017. Has there been any changes to the law in MN for a FTF sale of a pistol. Can anyone point me to where I can find this info.

The important thing to understand is that if you sell a pistol or "assault weapon" to someone without seeing his DL and PTP or PTC, you're opening yourself to songs significant legal risk.

A person, other than a federally licensed firearms dealer, who transfers a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon to another without complying with the transfer requirements of section 624.7132, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if the transferee possesses or uses the weapon within one year after the transfer in furtherance of a felony crime of violence, and if:
(1) the transferee was prohibited from possessing the weapon under section 624.713 at the time of the transfer; or

(2) it was reasonably foreseeable at the time of the transfer that the transferee was likely to use or possess the weapon in furtherance of a felony crime of violence.

If you don't know the buyer, and don't know for a fact that he's not a prohibited person, make seeing his DL and PTC a condition of sale, and make a copy.

Don't pin your hopes on "it want wasn't reasonably foreseeable". That's an argument and a subjective judgement call, which means lawyers arguing, which means wads of money out of your wallet, even if you win.

Thanks for the come back.
rmc51

Postby rmc51 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:18 pm

jdege wrote:

I know I might be singing to the choir, but what is going on with item #2.
Who has a crystal ball and can tell what someone will do in the future?

What is with the terminology:
reasonably foreseeable, likely, in furtherance of a felony crime of violence. Again back to the question with the crystal ball. I would think that item #2 would be heading to the courts. #2 is subjective, vague and lacking in reality.

I digress, Sorry.
Thanks for the info. guys
Keep your powder dry
RMC
rmc51

Postby ttousi on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:51 pm

info and Bill of sale form here
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11498
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby jdege on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:32 pm

rmc51 wrote:I would think that item #2 would be heading to the courts. #2 is subjective, vague and lacking in reality.

In other words, expensive.
jdege

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat