Range Etiquette?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Range Etiquette?

Postby INOR on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:28 pm

I try to get to the range as often as I can to get some shooting time. It's relaxing and a good stress reliever for me. I don't save brass as I don't reload currently, but I always clean up my lane, sweep up, and pick up my brass so the lane isn't littered with it for the next shooter. Why is it that so many others don't extend the same courtesy? Seems like every time I go, I need to clean up the previous shooters' brass. Sometimes people are even too lazy to take their targets off the damn carriage. Anyone else annoyed by this?
INOR

Re: Range Etiquette?

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:41 pm

yes
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby mrp on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:50 pm

I don't reload either. If someone else is in the bay and I see them collecting their brass I'll ask if they want mine. Otherwise, I just sweep it past the firing line so it's out of everyone's way.
mrp

Postby Ghost on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 pm

For pistols I’d go to Gander and they’d handle it. I switched to revolvers once I started reloading.
Ghost

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:54 am

mrp wrote:I don't reload either. If someone else is in the bay and I see them collecting their brass I'll ask if they want mine. Otherwise, I just sweep it past the firing line so it's out of everyone's way.

I had a buddy do that at a certain local range, he started picking it up just as the guy was leaving. Pretty shortly after the guy walked out the door but before he finished the range owner came in and flipped out on him. Then we over heard the range owner complaining about him trying to take the brass to another person shooting. Needless to say neither of us have been back.
grimbeaver

Range Etiquette?

Postby INOR on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:46 am

That's a little over the top. I'm sure the range owners make money off the used brass but still. I would guess the range owner didn't know that the other guy gave him permission to take his spent brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Range Etiquette?

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:38 am

Last time i shot indoors, a nice gentleman in the next lane "cleaned up" a bunch of my brass when he was done shooting... as we all know brass flies away and mine was landing right behind him... I really wished he was one of those messy people that leave it alone
gun_fan111v2

Range Etiquette?

Postby INOR on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:29 am

So if you're a reloader, don't they make nets or something that can contain your brass? Or choose a lane location accordingly based on your desire to recover brass?

When I leave a lane, I'm cleaning it up. If your brass ended up on my lane, it's still being cleaned up but if I were asked politely to leave it in a neat pile well behind the shooting position or near your lane for you to pick through, I'd happily oblige.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:48 am

THIS^^^^^^^
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:27 am

gun_fan111v2 wrote:Last time i shot indoors, a nice gentleman in the next lane "cleaned up" a bunch of my brass when he was done shooting... as we all know brass flies away and mine was landing right behind him... I really wished he was one of those messy people that leave it alone

Has it occurred to you that with your brass hitting the ground right behind him, it presented a potential trip hazard to that shooter if he took a step backward and a couple of cases rolled under his foot and sent him flying??? Nothing like backing up and discovering you're standing on a pile of marbles.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Range Etiquette?

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Has it occurred to you that with your brass hitting the ground right behind him, it presented a potential trip hazard to that shooter if he took a step backward and a couple of cases rolled under his foot and sent him flying??? Nothing like backing up and discovering you're standing on a pile of marbles.

There is always brass at the range and all of us are at risk of tripping the moment we walk in. Backing up without looking one is also at risk of bumping into somebody walking by - not a good idea.

The stalls are so narrow at some ranges that we are also at risk of getting hit with flying brass from next stall over. That happened to me once or twice and now I always wear a hat.

Somebody above mentioned a net. I actually have one of those and brought it with a couple of times. It worked OK but is another thing you need to carry and the legs of the tripod represent a tripping hazard ;)
gun_fan111v2

Postby Sorcerer on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:05 pm

There used to be an catcher that mounted to your fire arm.
Sorcerer

Postby Rodentman on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:20 pm

If I am shooting an auto, I usually load about 10 rounds and pick up that group of brass before shooting another magazine. I don't let a bunch of brass accumulate. I am very careful walking in the range due to my pathetic leg.
Rodentman

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Rodentman wrote:If I am shooting an auto, I usually load about 10 rounds and pick up that group of brass before shooting another magazine. I don't let a bunch of brass accumulate. I am very careful walking in the range due to my pathetic leg.

Is that your REAL pathetic leg or your FAKE pathetic leg???
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Rotary12 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 am

Seismic Sam wrote:
Rodentman wrote:If I am shooting an auto, I usually load about 10 rounds and pick up that group of brass before shooting another magazine. I don't let a bunch of brass accumulate. I am very careful walking in the range due to my pathetic leg.

Is that your REAL pathetic leg or your FAKE pathetic leg???

LOL!
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Next

Return to General Gun Chat