New rifle, std Weaver mount, aims 4 feet low! ???

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

New rifle, std Weaver mount, aims 4 feet low! ???

Postby Bergie on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:11 pm

Picked up a Cabelas Rem 700 ADL .308 when they were on super sale back in Sept. Saved enough with rebates and discounts to justify a Magpul stock upgrade....took my spare Nikon Monarch and Warne steel med. high rings and it all went together super easy. At the range today, threw in a laser boresighter in the chamber and the light was aiming +4' higher than where the crosshairs were....at 50 yards! I've never had that before! There's no way to adjust the turret to that degree. What have I got going on here?
Bergie

Re: New rifle, std Weaver mount, aims 4 feet low! ???

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Is the bore sighter crooked?
Holland&Holland

Postby goalie on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Did you actually shoot the rifle?

Until you do that, well, I got nothing....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby benny on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:49 pm

Make sure you have the right mounts for the gun , also make sure you have the rings mounted right as in front rings in front. I have seen this before where the front rings were shorter than the rear but the shooter put the short rings in back when they should be up front.
benny

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:43 pm

You can also try setting you gun on a rest (sandbags, jacket etc..) and aim it at your wall or any other point. Pull the bolt and look thru your barrel and see where it's pointing. Then see if you can get your scope to the same general point. I've had trouble with boresight tools and never use them any more.

If you can't get both the barrel aim and the scope in the same aim point this way, then as mentioned, check to make sure you don't have a "front & rear" ring. If so, reverse their mounting locations. My 700 uses the same rings front or rear and no issues as you mentioned.

If you happen to have a Picattiny rail the rings are mounting too, make sure it's mounted correctly. Some, have a built in MOA gain (I use a 30 MOA rail on my 50) and if it was mounted in reverse it could also cause a similar issue. All you would need to do is reverse the rail to correct the issue (hopefully..lol).
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby photogpat on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:22 am

Is it possible you have one high ring and one medium ring? Or like someone else suggested, you grabbed a 20-30MOA base by mistake?
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Re:

Postby Ghost on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:53 am

goalie wrote:Did you actually shoot the rifle?

Until you do that, well, I got nothing....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:16 am

You got lucky, you got one of their new bent barrel models. It lets you shoot deer around a tree. I need one of those this weekend.
Holland&Holland

Postby Erud on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:30 am

Laser bore sighters are notoriously crappy. Just shoot it and see where it hits.
Erud

Postby Bergie on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:10 am

I did shoot it once, just to see if the bore sight was being stupid and that shot wasn't on the paper (2'x2'). I pulled the laser out and the bolt and looked thru the barrel and it pointing super low. The rings are the same height (I know Ruger will often make different height rings for their rifle setups.....but Warne?). I am using Picatinney rails under the rings, but they wouldn't be different heights.(would they?) The scope was on a different rifle and it was fine, so I'm defaulting to maybe the rifle/receiver combo being weird.
Good thing I'm no longer depending on it this weekend!
(Bob Odenthal said he can't look at anything until after the 8th, so I can just wait it out 'Gil then)
Bergie

Postby Ghost on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:55 am

Bergie wrote:I did shoot it once, just to see if the bore sight was being stupid and that shot wasn't on the paper (2'x2'). I pulled the laser out and the bolt and looked thru the barrel and it pointing super low. The rings are the same height (I know Ruger will often make different height rings for their rifle setups.....but Warne?). I am using Picatinney rails under the rings, but they wouldn't be different heights.(would they?) The scope was on a different rifle and it was fine, so I'm defaulting to maybe the rifle/receiver combo being weird.
Good thing I'm no longer depending on it this weekend!
(Bob Odenthal said he can't look at anything until after the 8th, so I can just wait it out 'Gil then)

Pics of setup?
Ghost

Postby smurfman on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Check to see that the rings are both the same height and turn the base around. Those are the two easiest and cheapest things that can be done and they can be done yourself. I have gotten two different height bases once, they weren't Warne but they were a known company. Mispackaging is not common but not unheard of and would be my first thoughts. It may be the base needs to be shimmed as it is a "universal" base rather than one designed specifically for that gun. I just did that with a Mauser I had drilled and tapped as the Weaver Mauser bases were not the correct height on either the front or back.

I would also try a different scope in case the tube is bent or some other gremlins took up residence inside before shipping it off to a gunsmith. Bob is my preferred gunsmith but he is a bit expensive for simple things I can generally do myself if I give it some thought.
smurfman

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 am

So??? Did you ever get your scope problem figured out??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Bergie on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:25 am

My apologies to everyone trying to help me out. But there's lesson to be learned here I guess.....
I pulled it all apart and only then after inspecting the base did I see the small "60" stamped on it. OMG, I erroneously used a 60 MOA mount!
Oh well, this 700 will go hunting next year.
But I did glean some useful data from the above answers!
p.s. I used the AR10 that I built.....didn't even see a deer, so it's still doesn't have a notch on it.
Bergie

Next

Return to General Gun Chat