Carry in your house of worship?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:07 am

1. Do you?
1a. Concealed is concealed?
2. Would your leadership support you if you decided to?
3. Does you place of worship have a plan to protect the congregation?
4. What would it take to get one in place?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Carry in your house of worship?

Postby hard h2o on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:07 pm

I carry at Mass and at Church related events.

Not sure about an active shooter or other type of plan.
hard h2o

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:18 pm

1. Yes
1a. Yes
2. No, actually hell NO!
3. No, unless you count praying as a plan.
4. Hell freezing over might get them to think about it.
mmcnx2

Postby INOR on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:54 pm

1. Yes
1a. Concealed, but I'm always concealed. Never open carry.
2. Probably not. At least not on the record.
3. Not to my knowledge.
4. I think most churches won't put a plan in place. Doing so would require them to address members being allowed or encouraged to carry guns or hiring security. Neither is likely to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Scratch on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:02 pm

1. Yes
2. Yes.
3. Probably yes.
4. Not that I know of.
5. Not sure.... I'm hoping it will be brought up now.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby smurfman on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Attend a church but my wife does. When I go to events there is a very very good chance I am caring. Stars I'm concerned concealed his concealed.

Even if I were a regular member of the congregation I highly doubt management would support myself or anyone else carrying.

If they have a plan my wife is not privy to it. If she were I know she would ask my advice.

For them to put a plan into place it would require an active God – literally.
smurfman

Postby Chunkychuck on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:54 pm

I pastor a church here in MN. I have my permit and I carry all the time. I know a few church members have their permits but I don't know if they carry. We also have a retired sheriff deputy but I don't know if he carries. I don't have an objection either way. One of the difficulties in formulating a plan, even with the blessing of the people, is that most worship areas are not easily evacuated. There are usually exits at the front and at the rear, but very few worship areas have side exits. Our worship area has a double rear exit into the lobby and single doors to the outside on either side. So we are in a little better situation as far as exiting the building. Short of having someone sit in the lobby and them be willing to take on a shooter there is not a lot we can do. Security camera's, although a lot cheaper than they used to be, are not a financial option. But that may change as conditions change. About five minutes after our service starts one of the men closes the double doors and there always people who are leading in the service facing them so hopefully they will be able to sound a warning to take action if they see someone armed coming in. Since it is cooler now I will probably go back to my Beretta Cougar and IWB covered with a pull over sweater and instead of the LCR and smart carry.
Chunkychuck

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:34 am

Yes of course.

Concealed us concealed

Not active enough to know about their plans, their signs seem to indicate they would not be in favor but I always figure that is between me and God.
Holland&Holland

Postby old guy on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:45 am

My church has a full time armed security force, the Pastor has a carry permit, also many of the pastoral staff & maintainence staff. But since the church is also a grade & high school, general carry is not allowed.
old guy

Postby Chunkychuck on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:27 am

old guy wrote:My church has a full time armed security force, the Pastor has a carry permit, also many of the pastoral staff & maintainence staff. But since the church is also a grade & high school, general carry is not allowed.

I am assuming by general carry you are referring to any John or Jane Doe. Individuals can be authorized by the authority in charge of the school. Person carrying would need to have a written note to that effect. My wife was principal of the school that used our building and I had a signed note that I had permission to carry. MN 609.66 subd 1d paragraph f, number 8

The school no longer exists but I think my note went something like this: In accordance with MN STATUE 609.66 ....., (my name) is authorized to carry a dangerous weapon on the property of (church name) while (school name) is in session. Principal (wife's name) followed by her signature

We had the full statue number listed in the note
Chunkychuck

Postby old guy on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Chunkychuck wrote:
old guy wrote:My church has a full time armed security force, the Pastor has a carry permit, also many of the pastoral staff & maintainence staff. But since the church is also a grade & high school, general carry is not allowed.

I am assuming by general carry you are referring to any John or Jane Doe. Individuals can be authorized by the authority in charge of the school. Person carrying would need to have a written note to that effect. My wife was principal of the school that used our building and I had a signed note that I had permission to carry. MN 609.66 subd 1d paragraph f, number 8

The school no longer exists but I think my note went something like this: In accordance with MN STATUE 609.66 ....., (my name) is authorized to carry a dangerous weapon on the property of (church name) while (school name) is in session. Principal (wife's name) followed by her signature

We had the full statue number listed in the note

Yes, it is as you say, I worked there for 10 years and had privileges.
old guy

Return to General Gun Chat