Offset BUIS or CoWitness

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Offset BUIS or CoWitness

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Probably a dumb question, but hey, I'm probably known for that already so I'll ask.

When I mount my scope on the Grendel AR:
1) should I bother with BUIS for close in shots
2) if I do put them on, do I go with the 45degree offset (seems kind of Gangsta but I understand the reasoning) or try for some sort of co-witness set up?

What should I be spending on a set of BUIS? Big range in pricing out there.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Offset BUIS or CoWitness

Postby Scratch on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:56 pm

What will this rifle be used for, and what magnification is the scope you're putting on?
competition?
plinking at the range?
hunting (avg distance?)
home defense?
SHTF scenario?
Looking cool?
Last edited by Scratch on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Predator hunting, some range work and potentially N Minn. Deer Hunting - distances under 200yds - BUIS would be for inside 50yds.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Scratch on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Here's my free advice, you get what you pay for...

If you don't plan on taking alot of moving 50 yard shots, then I'd go with folding magpul BUS. Yes they're plastic, but your life isn't depending on them and you have a primary optic. Why spend the money on Troys or something when they'll probably never get used. In the off chance that you crack your glass on a hunt and don't want to call it a day, remove the scope, flip up your plastic sights and finish the hunt.

If you do plan on taking regular, 50 yard, moving shots, and you have a fixed power scope, then I'd consider 45 degree offset sights.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:33 pm

These are by far my favorite buis
https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-Steel-Sight-MAG275-MAG276/dp/B00CLGLRD0

That’s currently a good price, according to camelcamelcamel, and I like mine much more than my $200 Troys

That said a 1-4 or 1-6 scope with no backups is what I’d run for that range, but that’s just IMO.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:07 am

I don't think you will be cowitnessing through your 4-16x42.

For what you are doing, I would not worry about back up irons.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:23 am

Truth be told, I think BUIS for what you are talking about isn't really worthwile at all.

For deer hunting, if it's in driving range, a backup scoped rifle is of more value. No need to rezero and no loss of longer range shots.

For predator hunting, you would need to be pretty young with strong visual adaptability to make use of irons in a small rapidly moving target. If it's close, so you lost a afternoons hunting... better that than educating the coyotes and making it harder to get them the next time.

A set for serious social purposes, yes. A set for shooting games, sure. If it's a long distance travelled to hunt, sure, especially if you can't bring a backup rifle.

Remember, if the gun took enough of a knock that it killed your scope, you at a minimum need to reverify zero and that will likely pooch your hunting anywhere near where you verify zero.
crbutler

Postby UnaStamus on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:57 pm

Put me down as another person against BUIS. You really don’t need them unless you plan on taking shots at running deer at really close range. If so, have at it and I would recommend that you use offset BUIS, aka RTIS/RTOS options (Rapid Transistion Iron/Optical Sights).

Also, to address a comment above, Magpul polymer MBUS sights are incredibly durable and have been used extensively in Iraq and Afghanistan with no issues. Going with aluminum Troy sights won’t give you much in the way of reliability and durability, as the MBUS are already pretty solid. I have MBUS as backups on my patrol rifle, and that thing gets abused to holy hell.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:19 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Predator hunting, some range work and potentially N Minn. Deer Hunting - distances under 200yds - BUIS would be for inside 50yds.

Just another thought on the predator hunting. Watch some episodes of Predator Quest. Les Johnson will switch to a shotgun for the up close work.
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:25 pm

As far as magpul mbus vs mbus pro. I think if you search you’ll see most prefer the pros due to being more compact. Both are reliable it just comes down to if you are willing to pay for the size difference.
Ghost

Postby goalie on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:40 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Predator hunting, some range work and potentially N Minn. Deer Hunting - distances under 200yds - BUIS would be for inside 50yds.

I don't have back up irons on my hunting rifles.

I can shoot stuff at 50 and in with a scope just fine hunting. That said, I don't put the Hubble on my hunting rifles either. I wouldn't dream of "offset" BUIS use while hunting.

YMMV
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 pm

You are right. The nikon monarch 3 4-16x42 isn't that much magnification that I should worry about it. There is the temptation to trick out that rifle.

I will likely stick with Goalie's err I mean my tikka 308 and Carl zeiss set up for white tail ;) . I was thinking about the Grendel to shake up the traditionalists at deer camp.

As for predator hunting, I have seen the shotgun for the close shots.

Thanks for talking me through it.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:51 pm

If it makes you feel better my grendel was wearing the Vortex Razor gen 2 4.5-27 x 56 last time I killed a deer.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:51 pm

yukonjasper wrote:You are right. The nikon monarch 3 4-16x42 isn't that much magnification that I should worry about it. There is the temptation to trick out that rifle.

I will likely stick with Goalie's err I mean my tikka 308 and Carl zeiss set up for white tail ;) . I was thinking about the Grendel to shake up the traditionalists at deer camp.

As for predator hunting, I have seen the shotgun for the close shots.

Thanks for talking me through it.

I really do not understand why you are convinced that 4 power is too much for close shots. Seriously, go hunt with it, deer predator, it will perform well.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:56 am

Where would the trajectory of a rifle sighted in at 100yrds be at 25-40yrds? I am thinking it would be a little high from POA correct? I absolutely need some range time to test that. I had my 30-06 figured out, the 308 is new to me and I haven't shot the Grendel.

As you can tell, I way over think just about everything. I post things here to tap into the collective wisdom and I respect opinions from all of you. Thank you.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Next

Return to General Gun Chat