Olympic shooting profiled on NBC!

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Olympic shooting profiled on NBC!

Postby silvor on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:09 pm

I was flipping through the channels a couple hours ago and stopped on NBC when I saw a slow motion .22 casing ejecting from a target gun. What is this? I thought...

NBC was doing a big profile on a biathalon (skiing and shooting) athlete. They had the reporter - a 50+ year old who said he was from Texas show up with his shotgun because he said he'd need it to shoot the targets as well as the athlete. The athlete showed him out the Olympic target shooting works and whatnot, then they went back to the studio and the reporter said he trap shot and loved shooting targets and did it all the time. The reporter mentioned he was covering the Super Bowl last week in passing. FWIW, the other host was a woman with a British accent and seemed interested in the story.

So...I saw it as a positive on the shooting sports. Score one for the good guys I guess! :D

Didn't the last Olympics the US Trap team won a ton of gold medals and they didn't mention it at all? I seem to remember reading something about that in the NRA magazine.
silvor

Re: Olympic shooting profiled on NBC!

Postby Ghost on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Shooting is only good news when it’s in a foreign country.
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:19 pm

Ghost wrote:Shooting is only good news when it’s in a foreign country.

Did I hear somewhere that the British shooting team can't legally practice in their own country?
Lumpy

Postby Ghost on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Lumpy wrote:

Did I hear somewhere that the British shooting team can't legally practice in their own country?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2006/jan/17/comment.gdnsport3
Britain's pistol shooters are up in arms over the law that prevents them from practising their sport in their home country. There are about a hundred of them, and their weapons are kept under lock and key at a shooting gallery in Zurich, which is where they have to go when they want to keep their eye in. They claim that by obstructing what they consider to be their right to fire at targets closer to home, and thereby restricting their scope to improve and maintain their skills, the government is damaging Britain's chances of medals at the Olympic and Commonwealth Games.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:11 pm

I was much less impressed with NPRs cover where they covered one of the US woman's biathlon team members from NH I think who was disgusted with her sport after Sandy hook she finally made her peace with it but she spoke very negatively of the US "gun culture".
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:I was much less impressed with NPRs cover where they covered one of the US woman's biathlon team members from NH I think who was disgusted with her sport after Sandy hook she finally made her peace with it but she spoke very negatively of the US "gun culture".

I heard that as well. Classic NPR.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby hard h2o on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Ghost wrote:
Lumpy wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2006/jan/17/comment.gdnsport3
Britain's pistol shooters are up in arms over the law that prevents them from practising their sport in their home country. There are about a hundred of them, and their weapons are kept under lock and key at a shooting gallery in Zurich, which is where they have to go when they want to keep their eye in. They claim that by obstructing what they consider to be their right to fire at targets closer to home, and thereby restricting their scope to improve and maintain their skills, the government is damaging Britain's chances of medals at the Olympic and Commonwealth Games.

Look at the history of the shooting sports in the U.S. and training marksmen for military service. Historically civilian marksmanship had taken a turn for the worse (I think it was around WWI) until the NRA and the military took action. I believe that was the beginning of the CMP.

I wonder how marksmanship will suffer with the UK military branches?
hard h2o

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:38 pm

[/quote]

Look at the history of the shooting sports in the U.S. and training marksmen for military service. Historically civilian marksmanship had taken a turn for the worse (I think it was around WWI) until the NRA and the military took action. I believe that was the beginning
I wonder how marksmanship will suffer with the UK military branches?[/quote]
Most likely no worse than on our military bases with every weapon behind lock and key.
Sorcerer

Return to General Gun Chat