Anatomy of a Biathlon Rifle

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Anatomy of a Biathlon Rifle

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:17 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:That does not compute. Mpls bans discharge of any firearm but has archery courses in their parks. They do consider air rifles and I believe air soft as firearms but not "any projectile". Not sure about a sling shot but it would seem to be very difficult to classify that as a firearm.

http://www.startribune.com/st-paul-restricts-archery-to-classes-and-approved-ranges/290145291/
While Minneapolis doesn’t directly address the use of bows and arrows, the city’s definition of weapon might be construed to prohibit archery except when as part of an organized activity or at a range.

https://library.municode.com/mn/minneapolis/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=COOR_TIT15OFIS_CH393WE
CHAPTER 393. - WEAPONS[6]
ARTICLE I. - GENERALLY

393.10. - Definitions.(f)Weapon means any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death, great bodily harm, or substantial bodily harm; or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death, great bodily harm, or substantial bodily harm, or the reasonable and immediate fear thereof. "Weapon" includes Chinese stars. "Weapon" does not include (1) except when used as a weapon, a folding knife with a blade of four (4) inches or less in length, measured in a straight line from the point to the handle; or (2) a firearm, unless expressly included by section 393.20(b). (Code 1960, As Amend., § 877.010; Ord. of 4-9-76, §§ 1, 2; 77-Or-221, § 1, 10-28-77; 85-Or-098, § 1, 5-10-85; 86-Or-149, § 1, 6-27-86; 87-Or-106, § 1, 6-12-87; 2007-Or-073, § 1, 10-5-07)

393.150. - Firing or use of weapons.
No person shall fire off, discharge or explode any weapon or use any weapon against another, or attempt to engage in any such conduct, except when done in the lawful defense of person, property, home, or family, or in the necessary enforcement of laws, or for trap, skeet, or target shooting on premises owned or controlled by any duly incorporated social organization, or any licensed range for the purpose of target practice, or when ordered by military or police authority.

So how exactly does this classify a slingshot as a firearm?

It would appear that for the purposes of this discussion, Mpls law makes no distinctions regarding "weapons"; be they slingshots, bows, or firearms.

There are some fat squirrels around Lk Harriet.
Have fun.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:19 am

Correction, there were some fat squirrels around Lake Harriet. I have night vision on my sling shot ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:25 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Jack's My dog wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Actually I was watching the woman's biathlon and envisioning it as a good squirrel set up. I could glide silently through the forest on skis with the rifle in that harness and then when one sees the squirrel, pop, supper :D

Minneapolis allows squirrel hunting in the park system right? :twisted:

Fun Fact, I was advised by MPLS animal control that anything that fires a projectile, inclusive of a bb gun or slingshot, is considered a firearm in the city.

Bonus fun fact, the preferred, and animal control endorsed, method to dispatch animals such as pigeons or squirrels is drowning them by hand. :?

That does not compute. Mpls bans discharge of any firearm but has archery courses in their parks. They do consider air rifles and I believe air soft as firearms but not "any projectile". Not sure about a sling shot but it would seem to be very difficult to classify that as a firearm.

Fair point. Not sure what the work around is, or if the animal control officer gave me a line. Either way I did not think it prudent to draw any unwanted attention, so I proceeded to run out of my house every time I head a pigeon and blast them with the hose.

I have dispatched many animals in my lifetime, but I do not think I would have the belly to drown an animal. If your only option is by hand, how is ringing not a more expeditious death?
Jack's My dog

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:35 am

xd ED wrote:
http://www.startribune.com/st-paul-restricts-archery-to-classes-and-approved-ranges/290145291/
While Minneapolis doesn’t directly address the use of bows and arrows, the city’s definition of weapon might be construed to prohibit archery except when as part of an organized activity or at a range.

https://library.municode.com/mn/minneapolis/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=COOR_TIT15OFIS_CH393WE
CHAPTER 393. - WEAPONS[6]
ARTICLE I. - GENERALLY

393.10. - Definitions.(f)Weapon means any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death, great bodily harm, or substantial bodily harm; or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death, great bodily harm, or substantial bodily harm, or the reasonable and immediate fear thereof. "Weapon" includes Chinese stars. "Weapon" does not include (1) except when used as a weapon, a folding knife with a blade of four (4) inches or less in length, measured in a straight line from the point to the handle; or (2) a firearm, unless expressly included by section 393.20(b). (Code 1960, As Amend., § 877.010; Ord. of 4-9-76, §§ 1, 2; 77-Or-221, § 1, 10-28-77; 85-Or-098, § 1, 5-10-85; 86-Or-149, § 1, 6-27-86; 87-Or-106, § 1, 6-12-87; 2007-Or-073, § 1, 10-5-07)

393.150. - Firing or use of weapons.
No person shall fire off, discharge or explode any weapon or use any weapon against another, or attempt to engage in any such conduct, except when done in the lawful defense of person, property, home, or family, or in the necessary enforcement of laws, or for trap, skeet, or target shooting on premises owned or controlled by any duly incorporated social organization, or any licensed range for the purpose of target practice, or when ordered by military or police authority.

So how exactly does this classify a slingshot as a firearm?[/quote]

It would appear that for the purposes of this discussion, Mpls law makes no distinctions regarding "weapons"; be they slingshots, bows, or firearms.

There are some fat squirrels around Lk Harriet.
Have fun.[/quote]

I was informed in correctly by a city worker..My bad for not checking, but interesting read and thanks for posting. I feel Like I would have a defense under lawful defense of property, not interested in being the test case.
Jack's My dog

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:02 am

Jack's My dog wrote:
I was informed in correctly by a city worker..My bad for not checking, but interesting read and thanks for posting. I feel Like I would have a defense under lawful defense of property, not interested in being the test case.

St. Paul has some odd animal control laws. I'm not sure if it's legal for someone, not licensed for pest control, to trap squirrels in their own attic. Killing most critters is a felony; considered animal cruelty.
Given the people in charge in Mpls think much like those here, I'd guess the laws are similar.
As to drowning, it would be tough for me to do(not to mention problematic if we're talking cats :o )
I once dropped off a stray cat at animal control. They told me used a decompression chamber to facilitate asphyxiation.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 am

engnerdan wrote:Cool video, there was another going around on Facebook and it had me looking up the prices of the actions before the video was over.

I agree, that action was super cool and super fast. Why hasn't that been adapted to any other firearm? I'm sure someone more technically adept will have the answer.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 am

yukonjasper wrote:
engnerdan wrote:Cool video, there was another going around on Facebook and it had me looking up the prices of the actions before the video was over.

I agree, that action was super cool and super fast. Why hasn't that been adapted to any other firearm? I'm sure someone more technically adept will have the answer.

Don't Blaser rifles in Europe have this action?
Holland&Holland

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:25 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:

Don't Blaser rifles in Europe have this action?

I think you are right. The browning T-bolt looks to be a similar straight pull bolt action.
Jack's My dog

Postby TooFewGuns on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:28 pm

I almost had my wife convinced that I should buy one of these rifles, until she Googled them and realized what they cost. Technology does not always improve our lives.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:51 am

TooFewGuns wrote:I almost had my wife convinced that I should buy one of these rifles, until she Googled them and realized what they cost. Technology does not always improve our lives.

Technology does improve our lives, wives, not so much. :lol:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:34 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
TooFewGuns wrote:I almost had my wife convinced that I should buy one of these rifles, until she Googled them and realized what they cost. Technology does not always improve our lives.

+1000
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:03 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:

+1000

my wife is reading this
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat