Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Anatomy of a Biathlon Rifle

Postby ranger on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:53 am

NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Re: Anatomy of a Biathlon Rifle

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:46 am

I dunno, looks like it should be banned to me. High capacity mag, enhanced sighting system, modified bolt to allow faster rate of fire, easy to conceal ammo enhanced for accuracy, even a tactical thingy to clip to your clothing....
Holland&Holland

Postby 870TC on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:21 am

All this and a PISTOL GRIP fitted to the shooter (must make it more deadly!!)...I think those "snow covers" on the enhanced sights are probably bad too.
870TC

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:25 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I dunno, looks like it should be banned to me. High capacity mag, enhanced sighting system, modified bolt to allow faster rate of fire, easy to conceal ammo enhanced for accuracy, even a tactical thingy to clip to your clothing....

No black thing that goes up. Rant fail.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:33 am

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I dunno, looks like it should be banned to me. High capacity mag, enhanced sighting system, modified bolt to allow faster rate of fire, easy to conceal ammo enhanced for accuracy, even a tactical thingy to clip to your clothing....

You did not watch the video, it has a black thing that flips up, just thought that was standard equipment now ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

You did not watch the video, it has a black thing that flips up, just thought that was standard equipment now ;)

Correct, I’d have given you a pass had you said doohickey.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:37 am

Well in my defense I did get the tactical clippy thingy. That there is quality reporting by NPR standards.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Actually I was watching the woman's biathlon and envisioning it as a good squirrel set up. I could glide silently through the forest on skis with the rifle in that harness and then when one sees the squirrel, pop, supper :D

Minneapolis allows squirrel hunting in the park system right? :twisted:
Holland&Holland

Postby Jack's My dog on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Actually I was watching the woman's biathlon and envisioning it as a good squirrel set up. I could glide silently through the forest on skis with the rifle in that harness and then when one sees the squirrel, pop, supper :D

Fun Fact, I was advised by MPLS animal control that anything that fires a projectile, inclusive of a bb gun or slingshot, is considered a firearm in the city.

Bonus fun fact, the preferred, and animal control endorsed, method to dispatch animals such as pigeons or squirrels is drowning them by hand. :?
Jack's My dog

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Actually I was watching the woman's biathlon and envisioning it as a good squirrel set up. I could glide silently through the forest on skis with the rifle in that harness and then when one sees the squirrel, pop, supper :D

Fun Fact, I was advised by MPLS animal control that anything that fires a projectile, inclusive of a bb gun or slingshot, is considered a firearm in the city.

Bonus fun fact, the preferred, and animal control endorsed, method to dispatch animals such as pigeons or squirrels is drowning them by hand. :?

I worked with a guy that had rabbits for his kids 4H projects. He for some reason needed to put one down and held it in a water bucket to do it. I could not do that. I’ve killed lots of animals but I couldn’t do that.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:

That does not compute. Mpls bans discharge of any firearm but has archery courses in their parks. They do consider air rifles and I believe air soft as firearms but not "any projectile". Not sure about a sling shot but it would seem to be very difficult to classify that as a firearm.
Holland&Holland

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:

Now in cahoots with ortho dept at local hospital.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby xd ED on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:59 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:That does not compute. Mpls bans discharge of any firearm but has archery courses in their parks. They do consider air rifles and I believe air soft as firearms but not "any projectile". Not sure about a sling shot but it would seem to be very difficult to classify that as a firearm.

http://www.startribune.com/st-paul-restricts-archery-to-classes-and-approved-ranges/290145291/
While Minneapolis doesn’t directly address the use of bows and arrows, the city’s definition of weapon might be construed to prohibit archery except when as part of an organized activity or at a range.

https://library.municode.com/mn/minneapolis/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=COOR_TIT15OFIS_CH393WE
CHAPTER 393. - WEAPONS[6]
ARTICLE I. - GENERALLY

393.10. - Definitions.(f)Weapon means any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death, great bodily harm, or substantial bodily harm; or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death, great bodily harm, or substantial bodily harm, or the reasonable and immediate fear thereof. "Weapon" includes Chinese stars. "Weapon" does not include (1) except when used as a weapon, a folding knife with a blade of four (4) inches or less in length, measured in a straight line from the point to the handle; or (2) a firearm, unless expressly included by section 393.20(b). (Code 1960, As Amend., § 877.010; Ord. of 4-9-76, §§ 1, 2; 77-Or-221, § 1, 10-28-77; 85-Or-098, § 1, 5-10-85; 86-Or-149, § 1, 6-27-86; 87-Or-106, § 1, 6-12-87; 2007-Or-073, § 1, 10-5-07)

393.150. - Firing or use of weapons.
No person shall fire off, discharge or explode any weapon or use any weapon against another, or attempt to engage in any such conduct, except when done in the lawful defense of person, property, home, or family, or in the necessary enforcement of laws, or for trap, skeet, or target shooting on premises owned or controlled by any duly incorporated social organization, or any licensed range for the purpose of target practice, or when ordered by military or police authority.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby engnerdan on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 am

Cool video, there was another going around on Facebook and it had me looking up the prices of the actions before the video was over.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:56 am

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:That does not compute. Mpls bans discharge of any firearm but has archery courses in their parks. They do consider air rifles and I believe air soft as firearms but not "any projectile". Not sure about a sling shot but it would seem to be very difficult to classify that as a firearm.

http://www.startribune.com/st-paul-restricts-archery-to-classes-and-approved-ranges/290145291/
While Minneapolis doesn’t directly address the use of bows and arrows, the city’s definition of weapon might be construed to prohibit archery except when as part of an organized activity or at a range.

https://library.municode.com/mn/minneapolis/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=COOR_TIT15OFIS_CH393WE
CHAPTER 393. - WEAPONS[6]
ARTICLE I. - GENERALLY

393.10. - Definitions.(f)Weapon means any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death, great bodily harm, or substantial bodily harm; or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death, great bodily harm, or substantial bodily harm, or the reasonable and immediate fear thereof. "Weapon" includes Chinese stars. "Weapon" does not include (1) except when used as a weapon, a folding knife with a blade of four (4) inches or less in length, measured in a straight line from the point to the handle; or (2) a firearm, unless expressly included by section 393.20(b). (Code 1960, As Amend., § 877.010; Ord. of 4-9-76, §§ 1, 2; 77-Or-221, § 1, 10-28-77; 85-Or-098, § 1, 5-10-85; 86-Or-149, § 1, 6-27-86; 87-Or-106, § 1, 6-12-87; 2007-Or-073, § 1, 10-5-07)

393.150. - Firing or use of weapons.
No person shall fire off, discharge or explode any weapon or use any weapon against another, or attempt to engage in any such conduct, except when done in the lawful defense of person, property, home, or family, or in the necessary enforcement of laws, or for trap, skeet, or target shooting on premises owned or controlled by any duly incorporated social organization, or any licensed range for the purpose of target practice, or when ordered by military or police authority.

So how exactly does this classify a slingshot as a firearm?
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to General Gun Chat