Current law for sale of an AR

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Can someone educate me with the current law on sale of an AR and semi pistol? Not selling mine but want to read how its written. Am looking at this but if there is something else, feel free to point it out. Thanks
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.7132
Bearcatrp

Re: Current law for sale of an AR

Postby JLieu on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:58 pm

When purchased from FFL...

Minnesota requires permit to purchase or permit to carry (which doubles as a purchase permit, but requires individuals to be 21 to obtain).

With a permit to purchase, you need to be 21 to purchase a hand gun or 18 to purchase semi-automatic assault rifle.
JLieu

Postby ex-LT on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:02 pm

As I understand it*...

As a private party, you can sell any non-NFA gun to anyone you want to, as long as they are at least 18 years old. There is no requirement for them to prove they are eligible to own/possess a firearm. In addition, there is no requirement that you report the sale/transfer to local law enforcement.

For non-dealers, this is really all you need to know...

Subd. 12.Exclusions. Except as otherwise provided in section 609.66, subdivision 1f, this section shall not apply to transfers of antique firearms as curiosities or for their historical significance or value, transfers to or between federally licensed firearms dealers, transfers by order of court, involuntary transfers, transfers at death or the following transfers:

(1) a transfer by a person other than a federally licensed firearms dealer;

In the above quoted instance, "section" refers to the entire statute (624.7132).

*Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, I do not work in law enforcement, I am not an FFL, nor am I a legislator.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby goett047 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:09 pm

ex-LT wrote:As I understand it*...

As a private party, you can sell any non-NFA gun to anyone you want to, as long as they are at least 18 years old. There is no requirement for them to prove they are eligible to own/possess a firearm. In addition, there is no requirement that you report the sale/transfer to local law enforcement.

For non-dealers, this is really all you need to know...

Subd. 12.Exclusions. Except as otherwise provided in section 609.66, subdivision 1f, this section shall not apply to transfers of antique firearms as curiosities or for their historical significance or value, transfers to or between federally licensed firearms dealers, transfers by order of court, involuntary transfers, transfers at death or the following transfers:

(1) a transfer by a person other than a federally licensed firearms dealer;

In the above quoted instance, "section" refers to the entire statute (624.7132).

*Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, I do not work in law enforcement, I am not an FFL, nor am I a legislator.

This is how I’ve always read it as well. Although I always ask for a PTP/PTC
goett047

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:13 pm

goett047 wrote:Although I always ask for a PTP/PTC

This, for CYA reasons
Ghost

Postby ex-LT on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Ghost wrote:
goett047 wrote:Although I always ask for a PTP/PTC

This, for CYA reasons

Ditto. I was just stating what is REQUIRED by statute.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:54 pm

I make that a requirement on any firearm I sell. No PTC/PTP, no sale. Thanks guys.
Bearcatrp

Postby srommes on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:54 am

MN DL, PTC or PTP and bill of sale. A lot of people don’t bother with a bill of sale. I want a record of who I sold a gun to in case the gun I sold is ever used in a crime.
srommes

Postby Randygmn on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:49 am

Anyone know how old a person has to be, to be gifted an AR? Is there a difference if it’s a family member?
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:05 am

Randygmn wrote:Anyone know how old a person has to be, to be gifted an AR? Is there a difference if it’s a family member?
I’m building one for my four year old. She may not shoot it for a while but it’s hers.
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:33 am

Ghost wrote:
Randygmn wrote:Anyone know how old a person has to be, to be gifted an AR? Is there a difference if it’s a family member?
I’m building one for my four year old. She may not shoot it for a while but it’s hers.

Yeah- I have a bunch I’d like to gift to my 16 year old daughter and 9 year old nephew. Is it really that simple to say, “here you go”? Age restrictions for LEGAL ownership? I’m thinking in case the worst happens with the proposed legislation. Ultimately, I have a hunch that whatever they’re proposing, you’d have to be 21 to “register”? Fwiw, I’m not complying anyway. But curious to know about gifting age.
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:23 am

Randygmn wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Yeah- I have a bunch I’d like to gift to my 16 year old daughter and 9 year old nephew. Is it really that simple to say, “here you go”? Age restrictions for LEGAL ownership? I’m thinking in case the worst happens with the proposed legislation. Ultimately, I have a hunch that whatever they’re proposing, you’d have to be 21 to “register”? Fwiw, I’m not complying anyway. But curious to know about gifting age.

If that crap went through. My stuff will go out of state.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:34 am

Randygmn wrote:
Ghost wrote:

My understanding (and I am not a lawyer but love to play one at parties) is that ownership could really not occur until 18. Remember there are MN laws on the books about access to a loaded firearm by a minor and possession by minors. The 9 year old would not be old enough for the DNR course so my understanding would only be able to possess it in the presence of an adult. The 16 year old if they had the DNR course could possess it but as they can't purchase one until 18 and until 18 not certain what true property rights they really have anyway, I would think it really is not "there's" until 18.

My kids all have ""their own" guns, that said they do not have access to them without me. When they are adults and I deem them responsible, then they will get to keep them at their residence along with a gun safe that I gift them.
Holland&Holland

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:39 pm

ex-LT wrote:As a private party, you can sell any non-NFA gun to anyone you want to, as long as they are at least 18 years old. There is no requirement for them to prove they are eligible to own/possess a firearm.

No, not quite. They need to live in the same state. And although you aren't required to perform a background check on the buyer, it could be illegal to complete the sale if you had personal knowledge of a factor that would disqualify them from ownership. Yes, it would be hard to prove, but there are people in prison for it without a doubt. ( 18 U.S. Code § 922 (d) )
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:02 pm

I sold mine last month, all semi automatics. Verified they had a PTP/PTC but didn't do a sales receipt. Figured if they had those to prove he is good to go, then didn't bother writing one up. If they do get this crap passed, they will be back to come for the rest when another idiot kills with a wheel gun. But pretty sure this will be struck down by higher courts if it does get passed.
Bearcatrp

Next

Return to General Gun Chat