Adjustable gas blocks ?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Adjustable gas blocks ?

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:45 am

Do you still need to take them apart and clean them if you leave it at one setting and never change it? Have mine set up to shoot subs out of my 300BO and already see carbon build up by the adjustment screw. Thanks.
Bearcatrp

Re: Adjustable gas blocks ?

Postby Amazi on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:37 am

humm, my savage is the same way, could wait to see if it starts to act up and not wanting to cycle the round. also try sending an email to the manufacture see what they say.
Amazi

Postby Ghost on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:21 am

I run SLR’s on many of my builds. I’ve never cleaned them. If I had issues I would.

As Amazi said, check with the manufacturer. Here’s what SLR says.

Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Does one need to clean one's gas blocks?

I never have.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks. I have a Odin works adjustable gas block. Seeing the carbon building by the set screw, figured I would ask. It’s set just right and don’t want to go through finding the right spot again. I forgot the number of clicks I tuned it to.
Bearcatrp

Postby Jackpine Savage on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Does one need to clean one's gas blocks?

I never have.

Is it still adjustable? :)

I've read many stories about them seizing up and people just end up replacing them. I ran across a reference to one that Seekins is/was coming out with that uses a lever, sounded interesting.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Does one need to clean one's gas blocks?

I never have.

Is it still adjustable? :)

I've read many stories about them seizing up and people just end up replacing them. I ran across a reference to one that Seekins is/was coming out with that uses a lever, sounded interesting.

Dunno, adjusted it to run with the ammo I wanted to use and have not touched it since. I guess I do run a bit of action cleaner through the tube now and then but never disassembled I should say.
Holland&Holland

Postby 2in2out on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:28 pm

When I was a firefighter, one of my main jobs was engineer. The old-timers never used pressure relief valves, because they didn't understand pump operations. As long as water went in to the pump and came out in the correct direction, that was all they needed. When I started running pumps, I discovered that all of the pressure relief valves were seized due to rust and not being used. I tried to work them free, but gave up in the end.

The new trucks are all electronic and that obsoleted the need to use those valves.

Adjustable gas blocks are not quite the same thing as fire pump pressure relief valves, but my point was, a lot of people set it, leave it that way and manage to get away with it (me included).
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Return to General Gun Chat