Lets make up our own meaning...

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Lets make up our own meaning...

Postby george on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:08 pm

What ever it takes to meet an agenda.
So accuracy means nothing anymore.
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary Changes Definition Of ‘Assault Rifle’ After Parkland Shooting
http://thefederalist.com/2018/03/31/merriam-webster-online-dictionary-changes-definition-assault-rifle-parkland-shooting/
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Re: Lets make up our own meaning...

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:36 pm

george wrote:What ever it takes to meet an agenda.
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary Changes Definition Of ‘Assault Rifle’ After Parkland Shooting
http://thefederalist.com/2018/03/31/merriam-webster-online-dictionary-changes-definition-assault-rifle-parkland-shooting/

You do realize that Merriam - Webster changes word, add words, etc all the time? A few years ago Doh was not a word, now it is. Their definition is generally accurate to how it is being used in general society so to me that is not alarming. I mean really, if all we have to complain about is the technicality of what they call it when they try to ban it then we have already lost. I would rather have and win the argument on why I NEED to be allowed to own an assault rifle than whether we are calling it an assault rifle or a MSR.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:57 pm

It's a weak and lazy definition, as it essentially uses it's own definition to describe itself:
basically saying an assault rifle is something that looks like an assault rifle.
noun: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigBlue on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:04 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
george wrote:What ever it takes to meet an agenda.

You do realize that Merriam - Webster changes word, add words, etc all the time? A few years ago Doh was not a word, now it is. Their definition is generally accurate to how it is being used in general society so to me that is not alarming. I mean really, if all we have to complain about is the technicality of what they call it when they try to ban it then we have already lost. I would rather have and win the argument on why I NEED to be allowed to own an assault rifle than whether we are calling it an assault rifle or a MSR.

Adding a new word I don't generally have a problem with, as long as it is not a stupid word (think 'ginormous') and it is in widespread use. Putting in localized slang is bad. Yes, this is subjective, and I declare myself key arbiter.

But redefining an established word is wrong. We should not be redefining it, we should be fixing society's use of it (no matter what the word is). Changing meaning is how we end up losing historical context and understanding of how people were thinking when they made prior laws or when certain event happened. That's bad.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:51 pm

BigBlue wrote:'ginormous'

That’s what she said
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:39 pm

BigBlue wrote:
Adding a new word I don't generally have a problem with, as long as it is not a stupid word (think 'ginormous') and it is in widespread use. Putting in localized slang is bad. Yes, this is subjective, and I declare myself key arbiter.

But redefining an established word is wrong. We should not be redefining it, we should be fixing society's use of it (no matter what the word is). Changing meaning is how we end up losing historical context and understanding of how people were thinking when they made prior laws or when certain event happened. That's bad.

BB

Nice, naughty, silly, awful,... all mean something completely different now than they once did. Should Webster stick with the original definitions?
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:41 pm

I would be awful if Trump did away with nfpa, but that is just so nice of me.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:27 am

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigBlue on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:43 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Nice, naughty, silly, awful,... all mean something completely different now than they once did. Should Webster stick with the original definitions?

Yes.
BigBlue

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:24 pm

How long has it been since Merriam Webster was truly relevant. They only chase popular culture and the language trends to have a news release every so often to remind people they still exist. The inexactitude of the common language is an indicator of where we are we are in society in general.

Language
The relations between rhetoric and ethics are disturbing: the ease with which language can be twisted is worrisome, and the fact that our minds accept these perverse games so docilely is no less cause for concern. Octavio Paz

Our language is the reflection of ourselves. A language is an exact reflection of the character and growth of its speakers. Cesar Chavez

Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. George Orwell

We're losing social skills, the human interaction skills, how to read a person's mood, to read their body language, how to be patient until the moment is right to make or press a point. Too much exclusive use of electronic information dehumanizes what is a very, very important part of community life and living together. Vincent Nichols
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/language
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:41 pm

BigBlue wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Nice, naughty, silly, awful,... all mean something completely different now than they once did. Should Webster stick with the original definitions?

Yes.

That is nice of you.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Ghost wrote:

That’s what she said

Q-tip for you! :o (Sorry, couldn’t resist)
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
Ghost wrote:

That’s what she said

Q-tip for you! :o (Sorry, couldn’t resist)

I take it you’ve heard that before ;)
Ghost

Return to General Gun Chat