Plinking in the woods?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Plinking in the woods?

Postby jdege on Mon May 14, 2018 8:10 am

Where would be the closest place to the Cities where you could take a .22 into the woods and do some old-fashioned plinking?
jdege

Re: Plinking in the woods?

Postby yukonjasper on Mon May 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Not sure I've seen an acceptable answer. This question has been asked a few times and the consensus, as I recall, have been State or Federal forest land a fair bit of driving distance (1+hours) - I think. You might be able to search old posts to see what was suggested.

Most of the conversations seem to center around how many places have been shut down because of all the garbage that gets left behind in some of the sand/gravel pits or on County land.

Good luck
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby MJY65 on Mon May 14, 2018 5:34 pm

Plinking in the woods or along rural roads used to be a mainstay of informal shooting. It’s pretty much gone.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Suppressed or not? ;)
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 14, 2018 7:45 pm

Which direction?
Holland&Holland

Postby LarryFlew on Mon May 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Get slightly out of metro, stop and ask a farmer. Ie Carver County has many areas like that and farmers are usually pretty good about letting shooters in. Close gates and be careful about the property and be aware of how far your shot can go.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby unfitmother on Tue May 15, 2018 1:11 pm

I use the MNDNR's Recreation Compass map to find state forests where it's legal to target shoot: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass/index.html

This is where I've gone to sight-in stuff before. No great parking or backstops (all my rounds were accounted for though) and often muddy...

Screenshot from 2018-05-15 14-07-27.png

Not to the OP in particular, but always check city/county/municipality laws about shooting. IIRC, that spot you cannot shoot 300 yards from any structure.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue May 15, 2018 1:59 pm

Are WMA's good to go?
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Tue May 15, 2018 2:03 pm

What filters are you using on the DNR site?
jdege

Postby Ghost on Tue May 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Are WMA's good to go?

I have coyote hunted at Vermillion WMA, looks like it’s now permit only but I’d think you could maybe do some plinking there.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue May 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Are WMA's good to go?

I have coyote hunted at Vermillion WMA, looks like it’s now permit only but I’d think you could maybe do some plinking there.

I thought you could.
Holland&Holland

Postby smurfman on Thu May 17, 2018 3:57 am

WMAs are not open to target shooting of any type, that is stated very clearly in the hunting synopsis under the section on public lands. I've seen it also stated on placards at the parking areas of many WMAs but can't recall if I've seen it at all of them. I also want to say WMAs are not open to hunting when there are no open seasons on game animals though that may have been specific to certain WMAs. Or, if you get an exemption from the regional manager or other authorized person you would be allowed.

The best bet for informal shooting would be a state forest though there are some rules there too. Shooting within a certain distance of camping areas and gathering points are some I seem to recall. There may be other restrictions but I haven't bothered to look as I don't informally shoot at them. The hunting synopsis would be a good place to start followed by reading the actual statute, contacting the area Conservation Officer, and likely the regional manager for that forest. Preferably do so by email or other correspondence by writing in case there are differences of opinion between individuals within the DNR. It does happen and it may prevent you from getting more than a talking to.
smurfman

Postby jdege on Thu May 17, 2018 6:06 am

So if you want to plink in the WMAs, you might think about getting a small game license and shooting during small game season?
jdege

Postby MJY65 on Thu May 17, 2018 6:21 am

Another thing too keep in mind is that being legal doesn't mean you won't get reported by a nosy neighbor. the responding authority may or may not understand the law.
MJY65

Postby jdege on Thu May 17, 2018 6:26 am

MJY65 wrote:Another thing too keep in mind is that being legal doesn't mean you won't get reported by a nosy neighbor. the responding authority may or may not understand the law.

Which is another thing that having a small game license might help.
jdege

Next

Return to General Gun Chat