Bump fire stocks

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Bump fire stocks

Postby Ghost on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:59 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I don't know why, but this bit just jumps out at me.
until the agency issued a new final rulemaking today.

So I guess the new final rule overrides the old final rule until the next final rule?

Sigh.

Helps when you change the definition of machine gun
Ghost

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:53 pm

So, if/when someone uses a belt loop to bump fire their semi-auto rifle, will the BATFE have them arrested for having a "machine gun"? Can they now identify all semi-auto (one trigger pull, one bullet) as Precursor Machine Guns?

Personally, I've never owned, nor wanted a "bump stock", but I despise the BATFE having the Legislative Power to change the law. I'm also against the Government, being able to one day allow a part to a gun, and the next day, make it illegal. They will confiscate personal/private property, without compensation to the owner of said property, that was legal, the day before.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Grayskies on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:58 pm

GOA to Sue the ATF's Bump Stock Ban

https://youtu.be/0SxZ_ef72gM
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:59 pm

BigDog58 wrote:So, if/when someone uses a belt loop to bump fire their semi-auto rifle, will the BATFE have them arrested for having a "machine gun"? Can they now identify all semi-auto (one trigger pull, one bullet) as Precursor Machine Guns?

Personally, I've never owned, nor wanted a "bump stock", but I despise the BATFE having the Legislative Power to change the law. I'm also against the Government, being able to one day allow a part to a gun, and the next day, make it illegal. They will confiscate personal/private property, without compensation to the owner of said property, that was legal, the day before.

Belt loop? Check what is Jerry going to do? Does he need a tax stamp for each finger now?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:35 am

Bump Stock Rule Bumps Up Against the Constitution

The Administration’s main contention continues to be that language of the National Firearms Act and Gun Control Act—which has not needed clarification in some 80 years—is ambiguous in regards to bump firing, a contention we dispatched back in June. Yet the government is attempting to use this supposed ambiguity to shoehorn bump stocks into a statute that regulates possession of machine guns.

In this case, the existing law specifically defines “machine gun”; several administrations have reviewed bump stocks and repeatedly determined that they don’t fall in that category. It’s been clear for decades that Gatling guns and bump stocks were not machine guns. This regulation is not an attempt to clarify a vague law, but to seize political expediency to expand the power of the executive.

If the government really wants to regulate bump stocks, it needs to do so by passing a new law, not by assigning new meaning to an old one. The Founders weren’t short-sighted; there is a reason laws that affect the entire nation have to come through Congress, not reimagined by bureaucrats.

What’s worse is the fact that the administration’s attempt to skirt the Constitution is for something as inconsequential as bump stocks. We are talking about seriously damaging the integrity of our legal system over a novelty item. In a country as divided as ours, this seems like a squandering of political capital.

The powers of the federal government are few and defined, not open to unlimited interpretation by unelected bureaucrats. In light of this, our regulatory comment potentially gives Cato a right to intervene in the coming litigation. Stay tuned.

https://www.cato.org/blog/bump-stock-rule-bumps-against-constitution
Ghost

Bump fire stocks

Postby LumberZach on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:12 am

I’m probably missing it, but can anyone clarify when this is in affect? Is it officially right now illegal to own a bump stock, or is it the end of next month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:14 am

LumberZach wrote:I’m probably missing it, but can anyone clarify when this is in affect? Is it officially right now illegal to own a bump stock, or is it the end of next month?

They have to sign it into the register, which will likely be this week. Then they must be destroyed or turned in to the ATF within 90 days of that date.
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:17 am

Ghost wrote:
LumberZach wrote:I’m probably missing it, but can anyone clarify when this is in affect? Is it officially right now illegal to own a bump stock, or is it the end of next month?

They have to sign it into the register, which will likely be this week. Then they must be destroyed or turned in to the ATF within 90 days of that date.

Tho a court could put a hold on this and probably will unless they file in the 9th circuit.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:22 am

Grayskies wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Tho a court could put a hold on this and probably will unless they file in the 9th circuit.

I agree I'd expect this to happen.

Or you better go boating.

Crazy that you can be a felon for owning a piece of plastic.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:27 am

Ghost wrote:

One wonders what the feds have in store for Jerry Miculek's trigger finger....
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:54 am

xd ED wrote:
Ghost wrote:

One wonders what the feds have in store for Jerry Miculek's trigger finger....

I doubt they are concerned. Munden is dead now so he's no threat.

Ghost

Postby xd ED on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:06 am

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Ghost wrote:

Or you can become a test case... just saying it is an option.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:17 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Or you can become a test case... just saying it is an option.

True
Ghost

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:31 am

So IF I had a bump stock and mounted it on a Maverick 88 pump shotgun, my shotgun would now be classified as a machine gun? I’d be changed as a felony for the bump stock and a machine gun. My pockets aren’t deep enough. I wonder if someone else’s are? For government employee reading this, I don’t own a bump stock. :()
Sorcerer

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat