Small Group at 1000 yards

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Small Group at 1000 yards

Postby Pat Cannon on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 pm

Wow. I could only match that group size with a one round group, if by some fluke I hit the paper.
Pat Cannon

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:37 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:Wow. I could only match that group size with a one round group, if by some fluke I hit the paper.

One shot groups are always the best. That is why that is all I ever do.
Holland&Holland

Postby usnret on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:28 pm

One shot, one hole.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:37 pm

usnret wrote:One shot, one hole.

Little trick I learned. If you can get good enough, like me, to miss the paper completely, you can then reuse the target next time. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
usnret wrote:One shot, one hole.

Little trick I learned. If you can get good enough, like me, to miss the paper completely, you can then reuse the target next time. ;)

Damn, I thought I invented that!
Pat Cannon

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Target management is a lost art.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:16 am

I normally get my "monies worth" out of a target. I like using the WHOLE target. Besides, I like making OldmanFCSA look all over the target for the hole :shock:

While I'm quite proud of several of my groups, I am not proud of a few of the others. I learned a hard lesson on how my gun prefers to shoot best when clean. I'll listen to to that little voice in my head, the one shouting "Clean your F'ing gun" after each relay at all future matches.

At least I know that this new set of Israeli Brass (TZZ-90) is a keeper. I'm hoping it performs even better now that it's Fire-Formed. We'll see at the next match in Alliance, NE during Labor Day weekend. I also have to make sure OldMandFCSA goes, as he is a darn good target puller, when they can keep him awake in the pits :wack: .
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:48 am

BigDog58 wrote: I also have to make, sure OldMandFCSA goes, as he is a darn good target puller, when they can keep him awake in the pits :wack: .

SORRY - I may need those funds to go visit my daughter in Georgia, or my son in Washington state, or my older brother in the Black Hills, or my little brother wherever he is now (he's coming here from eastern Iowa Aug 1st-4th so I can repair his offroad motorcycle). Besides I get my best sleep while driving, so planning on getting some sleep. May even go visit the wife sometime soon.
OldmanFCSA

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:06 pm

In case you have not seen what a 1000 yard range looks like................
Attachments
1000yd.jpg
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Except that at the World Championships, there were 98 shooting positions on the same firing line.

NRA Whittington Center near Raton New Mexico.

Pits are the same length, a little over 1/4 mile.
Targets are 72" tall and 67" wide. On Saturday Jim used much more of the target than Friday. :mrgreen:

The radio system I researched and developed for our Regional Matches near Alliance Nebraska was used at the World. It permitted radio operators to clearly speak from firing line to pits behind a concrete wall. Four Range Safety Officers on firing line and four Pit Officers with Master officers on each end all with radios that used the Repeater I setup along with six loud speakers in pits and eight loud speakers on Firing Line. Much equipment was duplicated to allow for the expansion of the basic system. Randy Ofstad of Rapid City deserves much of the credit for the expansion of radio system.
OldmanFCSA

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 pm

The speaker system worked superbly. It was nice to be able to hear both line, and pit commands, even with hearing protection on. Good communications are a MUST at these distances.

I'm just glad I didn't have to walk the full length of the pits nor the line. I remember the first time I went to the NRA Whittington Center with OldmanFCSA, and pulled targets for him and a friend of ours. I didn't shoot in that match, but it was quite a sight, looking at the total length of both the firing line and the targets.

This year, resident Antelopes were between the berms at about 600 yds, just grazing, as shots were fired over their heads. I guess as long as they were only "out-going" rounds, they knew they were safe. I guess if PETA saw them, they would require hearing protection for the antelopes and their fawns :hmm:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Ghost on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 am

LarryFlew wrote:In case you have not seen what a 1000 yard range looks like................

No big deal ;)

Ghost

Postby Rodentman on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:02 am

I love when he says "Nothing to it."
Rodentman

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:12 pm

Rodentman wrote:I love when he says "Nothing to it."

He did not hit balloon - bullet splatter from hitting steel plate killed the balloon. That results in a much larger target.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Erud on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:02 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Rodentman wrote:I love when he says "Nothing to it."

He did not hit balloon - bullet splatter from hitting steel plate killed the balloon. That results in a much larger target.

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing here.
Erud

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat