Selling a semi auto rifle ?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Selling a semi auto rifle ?

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:49 pm

Thinking of selling a 300BO AR. Searching any new laws about private sale of a semi auto and came across this.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/624.7132
Is this the latest law or is there a newer law? Am I reading this right that I need permission from city or county law before transferring the rifle in accordance with 1 through 5 ? If this is correct, how about just going through a FFL and run the same paperwork as buying a new rifle? Appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks.
Bearcatrp

Re: Selling a semi auto rifle ?

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Thinking of selling a 300BO AR. Searching any new laws about private sale of a semi auto and came across this.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/624.7132
Is this the latest law or is there a newer law? Am I reading this right that I need permission from city or county law before transferring the rifle in accordance with 1 through 5 ? If this is correct, how about just going through a FFL and run the same paperwork as buying a new rifle? Appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks.

Unless you are an FFL this does not apply to you. Legally you do not need to do anything other than have no knowledge that the person is prohibited. There are best practices, many listed on this site if you want to go above and beyond the law. There are good reasons to do so. Typically seeing a permit and a license and do a bill of sale will cover most situations.
Holland&Holland

Postby ttousi on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:33 am

several bill of sale forms in the reference section
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:29 am

After reading the link I provided over and over, guess I missed subsection 8 that states a valid PTP/PTC will work. I always require this anyways regardless of type of firearm I sell just to cover my arse. Just wanted to make sure though. Thanks folks.
Bearcatrp

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:37 am

Bearcatrp wrote:After reading the link I provided over and over, guess I missed subsection 8 that states a valid PTP/PTC will work. I always require this anyways regardless of type of firearm I sell just to cover my arse. Just wanted to make sure though. Thanks folks.

Still doesn't pertain to person to person sales which don't require anything although it is smart on the sellers part.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:54 am

Bearcatrp wrote:After reading the link I provided over and over, guess I missed subsection 8 that states a valid PTP/PTC will work. I always require this anyways regardless of type of firearm I sell just to cover my arse. Just wanted to make sure though. Thanks folks.

You might want to read it again, you are still missing the part that makes it not apply to you.
Holland&Holland

Postby ex-LT on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:53 pm

As H&H said, you're missing the subdivision that makes 624.7132 not apply to you...

Subd. 12.Exclusions.

Except as otherwise provided in section 609.66, subdivision 1f, this section shall not apply to transfers of antique firearms as curiosities or for their historical significance or value, transfers to or between federally licensed firearms dealers, transfers by order of court, involuntary transfers, transfers at death or the following transfers:

(1) a transfer by a person other than a federally licensed firearms dealer;

DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Ghost on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:16 pm

ex-LT wrote:As H&H said, you're missing the subdivision that makes 624.7132 not apply to you...

Subd. 12.Exclusions.

Except as otherwise provided in section 609.66, subdivision 1f, this section shall not apply to transfers of antique firearms as curiosities or for their historical significance or value, transfers to or between federally licensed firearms dealers, transfers by order of court, involuntary transfers, transfers at death or the following transfers:

(1) a transfer by a person other than a federally licensed firearms dealer;

This
Ghost

Return to General Gun Chat