Where to buy Rockset in the twin cities?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Bitter Bastard on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Where can I buy some Rockset in the twin cities, preferably southern metro? Is that something O'Reilly's or Ace Hardware would have? Does it go by any other brand names?

I have a muzzle device I need to get mounted.

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Re: Where to buy Rockset in the twin cities?

Postby Ghost on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:54 pm

I’m not aware of any places. I had to go to Amazon. Currently out of state or I’d lend you the bottle.
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:17 pm

What’s the difference between Rocksett and Locktite?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:08 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:What’s the difference between Rocksett and Locktite?

IIRC, Loctite will break down and lose its holding strength as it heats up. Rocksett is not as affected by heat.

I have had a suppressor mount unscrew with a hot suppressor when using permanent loctite but have not experienced it once switching to rocksett.
Ghost

Postby samginko on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:30 am

I'm in Eagan. If you bring a small container by, I can let you have some.

However, I believe rockset is common in the craft stores. Little research on Google will show that it's basically same as glue used for crafting rocks and glass.
samginko

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:49 am

Ghost wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:What’s the difference between Rocksett and Locktite?

IIRC, Loctite will break down and lose its holding strength as it heats up. Rocksett is not as affected by heat.

I have had a suppressor mount unscrew with a hot suppressor when using permanent loctite but have not experienced it once switching to rocksett.

Ok, that would make sense. I've successfully used Locktite for scope mounts and rings for years, but they don't get that hot.

ETA: And heat is how you get them apart again. ;)
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:44 am

Seems like something Atomic Tactical would sell. No idea if they do though.
grimbeaver

Postby samginko on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:00 am

Atomic Tactical will mount your muzzle device with rocksett for a small fee.
samginko

Postby Randygmn on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:12 am

Bitter Bastard wrote:Where can I buy some Rockset in the twin cities, preferably southern metro? Is that something O'Reilly's or Ace Hardware would have? Does it go by any other brand names?

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard

Better be sure you’re going to keep that muzzle brake on there forever. Rocksette is one stage below pinned and welded. Advanced Armament used to deliver their rifles with that stuff and they told me that they saw more warped barrels from folks trying to remove their brakes that they started offering their customers to send in their uppers and they’d remove it for free.
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 am

Randygmn wrote:
Bitter Bastard wrote:Where can I buy some Rockset in the twin cities, preferably southern metro? Is that something O'Reilly's or Ace Hardware would have? Does it go by any other brand names?

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard

Better be sure you’re going to keep that muzzle brake on there forever. Rocksette is one stage below pinned and welded. Advanced Armament used to deliver their rifles with that stuff and they told me that they saw more warped barrels from folks trying to remove their brakes that they started offering their customers to send in their uppers and they’d remove it for free.

Probably because people are trying to remove it with lots of heat and torque. My understanding is a good hot water soak is the key.
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:41 am

Ghost wrote:
Randygmn wrote:

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard

Probably because people are trying to remove it with lots of heat and torque. My understanding is a good hot water soak is the key.

The key is using a Geissele reaction rod to avoid warpage. But who the hell wants to buy an expensive tool to remove a brake? And I’m pretty sure hot water, even boiling water, isn’t the answer. It didn’t work for me when I went to remove my brake from my AAC 300blk barrel. Ultimately, I had to send in my upper before I warped it. I didn’t ask the process, though.
Randygmn

Postby Bitter Bastard on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks for the tips, Samginko. I ended up finding a free shipping code so I have a bottle to call my own on the way. The muzzle device will likely never need to be removed, and even if it does, there are well documented ways to removing Rocksett. It is certainly not worth worrying about right now when the goal is to get it mounted correctly, not get it unmounted.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Ghost on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:24 am

Randygmn wrote:The key is using a Geissele reaction rod to avoid warpage. But who the hell wants to buy an expensive tool to remove a brake? And I’m pretty sure hot water, even boiling water, isn’t the answer. It didn’t work for me when I went to remove my brake from my AAC 300blk barrel. Ultimately, I had to send in my upper before I warped it. I didn’t ask the process, though.

Love my reaction rod, everyone should have one. It’s nit the key to rocksett though. Rocksett is water soluble.
Ghost

Postby INOR on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:28 am

So this is probably a dumb question. Is it the heat or the twist of the round that causes the muzzle component to come loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Ghost on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:35 am

INOR wrote:So this is probably a dumb question. Is it the heat or the twist of the round that causes the muzzle component to come loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A hot suppressor loosened my loctite
Ghost

Return to General Gun Chat