Just in case, for a bear encounter?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Just in case, for a bear encounter?

Postby Bergie on Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:50 pm

First and foremost- I'm usually NEVER worried about running into bear in the woods and never carry as a precaution against such an encounter. But- I recently bought acreage over in WI and there's bear tracks everywhere! I was walking the land with my daughter the other day and -if it were just me, I wouldn't be paranoid....but I'm with my kid and was thinking I wish I had at least my SuperBlackhawk. Other than that, any suggestions on a short, lightweight carry that I could just sling on as a 'just in case' ? (I was thinking my 12ga slug, or my Marlin 45/70.....but both are longer and maybe more cumbersome.)(Maybe now is a good reason to buy a 450 Bushmaster 16" upper?!) Thanks,
Bergie

Re: Just in case, for a bear encounter?

Postby Grayskies on Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:30 pm

I asked this question awhile ago, I never did get a good answer short of artillery and c4, these guys love big guns!

I know a black bear was killed recently with a .357, Since it is your daughter I would go with a .44 magnum or one of your long guns.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Bear specific pepper spray like

https://www.amazon.com/Mace-Brand-Bear- ... B0002YSWIQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YyyOLfYJvBo. Vid on bear spray use in Alaska.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Ghost on Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Grayskies wrote:I asked this question awhile ago, I never did get a good answer short of artillery and c4, these guys love big guns!

I know a black bear was killed recently with a .357, Since it is your daughter I would go with a .44 magnum or one of your long guns.

Diamond D chest holster stuffed with 460V is my choice. I've only worn that in brown bear country.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:18 pm

I think the important distinction is the common black bear that is no where as large and hard to kill as a grizzly(brown bear). If i carry, blueberry picking, camping etc. Its usually a. 357 wheel gun-Ruger Security Six. Even though i don't expect trouble, i make sure I'm prepared just in case. I would like to check out a chest rig for hunting, snagging brush and 4 wheeler mud are good reasons to me.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:39 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I think the important distinction is the common black bear that is no where as large and hard to kill as a grizzly(brown bear). If i carry, blueberry picking, camping etc. Its usually a. 357 wheel gun-Ruger Security Six. Even though i don't expect trouble, i make sure I'm prepared just in case. I would like to check out a chest rig for hunting, snagging brush and 4 wheeler mud are good reasons to me.

Check out Diamond D they are very well made.

This is pretty much what I bought

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/collections/holsters/products/guides-choice-chest-holster

Thinking about it more though I'd probably be satisfied with a nice 10mm auto in black bear country. Glock 20 would be sufficient even though Glocks and I don't play that well together.
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:52 pm

I love glocks, but there is something about a nice wheel gun! :D

Oh, and bear spray is not for everyone, having asthma I can't be around the stuff.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby smurfman on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:05 pm

I have a similar issue ar my cabin plus we once were a nursery for the local wolf pack. I wasn't worried about myself but had some concerns regarding my dogs.

I sometimes carried a 357 mag of one sort or another stoked with either hard cast 158 gr semi-wad cutters or the same weight jacketed soft points. Other times I carried a 40 S&W with Wolf 180 gr FMJ as the steel jacket seems to keep the bullet together well. I'll occasionally carry a 9mm with Wolf 115 gr FMJ as it is built similar to the 40 S&W and Phil Shoemaker placed it in the same category as 9mm Buffalo Bore bear loads with which Phil killed a pretty large grizzly a couple years back. If the load is adequate for that then it should work for a black bear.
smurfman

Postby Bergie on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:53 pm

(OP here) Thanks guys, I like that chest rig! I’ve heard the horror stories of a sow with cubs and it makes me nervous to have a mere 357 and be caught between a mama bear and her cubs. I agree with a wheel gun thought- no ftf issues then.
Bergie

Postby Scratch on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:09 pm

While I think that revolvers are cool, I would choose a semi auto and have more ammo already loaded in the gun. I might go with the G20 with its 15+1 10mm mags. I like the look of that cool, leather, belly mounted holster, but would probably go with a simple OWB paddle holster that would be easy to grab, easy to put on, and not cumbersome to wear. I'd probably also get some good bear spray as an additional option, letting the situation dictate which tool to grab.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:15 pm

Scratch wrote:While I think that revolvers are cool, I would choose a semi auto and have more ammo already loaded in the gun. I might go with the G20 with its 15+1 10mm mags. I like the look of that cool, leather, belly mounted holster, but would probably go with a simple OWB paddle holster that would be easy to grab, easy to put on, and not cumbersome to wear. I'd probably also get some good bear spray as an additional option, letting the situation dictate which tool to grab.

Agree, for a G20 the chest rig is unnecessary, it’s more for a magnum revolver.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Bergie wrote:(OP here) Thanks guys, I like that chest rig! I’ve heard the horror stories of a sow with cubs and it makes me nervous to have a mere 357 and be caught between a mama bear and her cubs. I agree with a wheel gun thought- no ftf issues then.

For a black bear in WI? .357 with quality loads will not be mere.
Holland&Holland

Postby Randygmn on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:34 pm

G20 with buffalo bore hard cast mounted on a chest rig. You’d be surprised how much ground and how quickly an angry momma bear can cover. Off body carry isn’t an option if you believe a threat might be real. Particularly if your primary concern is in protection of someone who has very little situational awareness. The likelihood of an attack is very low. The likelihood of significant, life altering damage should that attack occur is very high.
Randygmn

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:25 am

Ask OldmanFCSA about his encounter with a Black Bear, that got into his barn. After hearing his "adventure" you will want far more than a .357 Mag and 6 rounds :shock:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:40 am

Coonan with full power loads and 2 extra mags.
mmcnx2

Next

Return to General Gun Chat