Just in case, for a bear encounter?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Just in case, for a bear encounter?

Postby Grayskies on Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:04 am

Next it will be a grendel or nuking the bear from orbit! ;)
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:44 am

BigDog58 wrote:Ask OldmanFCSA about his encounter with a Black Bear, that got into his barn. After hearing his "adventure" you will want far more than a .357 Mag and 6 rounds :shock:

A black bear in a barn sounds like a bad day no matter what you are carrying. But shot placement trumps size.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:45 am

Grayskies wrote:Next it will be a grendel or nuking the bear from orbit! ;)

If you had a grendel you would not even need to shoot. Just show the bear the barrel stamp and it will run away.
Last edited by Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:08 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:Ask OldmanFCSA about his encounter with a Black Bear, that got into his barn. After hearing his "adventure" you will want far more than a .357 Mag and 6 rounds :shock:

A black bear in a barn sounds like a bad day no matter what you are carrying. But shot placement trumps size.

Being curious (I am way to curious ;)), I have been told bears are really armored, what spots should you aim for?

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby photogpat on Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:17 pm

Bear in an enclosed space is perfect for a 12ga with a 4 shot extension tube - OO buck and slug combo meal.

Head, heart, head, heart, head, heart, head, heart, head.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:48 pm

Grayskies wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Being curious (I am way to curious ;)), I have been told bears are really armored, what spots should you aim for?

Depends on the presentation I suppose but have always read you are looking for a cns hit.
Holland&Holland

Postby atomic41 on Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:21 am

I use a Hill People Gear kit bag that rides on the chest.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

I run and hike with mine. The really nice thing is you can carry a pistol on your chest and it's concealed for times you are around other people. It's great when running on public trails.
atomic41

Postby Ghost on Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:36 am

atomic41 wrote:I use a Hill People Gear kit bag that rides on the chest.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

I run and hike with mine. The really nice thing is you can carry a pistol on your chest and it's concealed for times you are around other people. It's great when running on public trails.

How easy is it to get to your pistol? Do you have to unzip it first?
Ghost

Postby DonT on Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:15 am

A thought would be a 20 ga (or 12 ga if you prefer) Shockwave and alternate buckshot and slugs. It can easily be slung across the back, side or front (there is also a carrying scabbard out there available for under $30 which can be used), is relatively inexpensive compared to larger caliber handguns, weight about 5 1/2 pounds and with a sidesaddle spare ammo is easily accessible and with the gun every time you pick it up, and you can throw a few extra rounds in your pocket if you feel the need. The reason I suggest a 20 ga is that it is a gun that can be handled by a medium sized adult or teenager should the need arise. Since an encounter with a bear requiring the use of a weapon is typically going to be up close and personal, for me I prefer a shotgun with slugs &/or buckshot. As an added benefit a few rounds of birdshot in your pocket will work well for dispatching rabid fox, skunks or racoons or put a rabbit over the fire if you are forced to spend the nite in the woods....

Just a thought.
DonT
Last edited by DonT on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonT
DonT

Postby smurfman on Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:35 pm

The stories of sows protecting Cubs are more often concerning grizzlies than black bears. I've been around sows and cubs plenty of times, mostly when sitting over baits, and the only time I was concerned in the least was when a cub tried to climb in the stand with me. Mom was huffing and puffing on the ground but that dang cub wanted onto my stand no matter how often and hard I kicked him. I was far more worried about the cub biting me than I ever was about mom. More often, I have seen mom hightail it out of there leaving the cubs to keep up the best they can. Not saying there is nothing to be concerned about but that the actual chance of a problem is exaggerated.

I would bet a bear trapped in a building could get a bit defensive. I've caught them in outbuildings tasting at the cabin and on the farm and they can raise quite a ruckus if they feel cornered. Back off and get out of the way and the Bears have all bolted out the door. If pushed they will fight as would anything else including us and I can imagine things could get sporty. A rat is pretty easy to kill out in the field but catch one in a corner of the barn and it will put up a determined fight.

As for a shotgun on bears, use slugs and forget about buckshot. A slug will have the momentum to penetrate to vitals from about any angle and typically through significant bone. OO buckshot is a roughly 33 caliber ball of lead weighing 50 grains. If a 357 mag is being undergunned then how does a 32 ACP rate?

I do agree on a handy to carry gun, that is much the reason I have decided on my choices. I have paddle holsters for all which makes it simple, easy, and convenient to grab one and go.
smurfman

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:38 am

If I was slinging anything on my shoulder in bear country I’d go with a 45-70 guide gun.
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Ghost wrote:If I was slinging anything on my shoulder in bear country I’d go with a 45-70 guide gun.

Pre-Remington Marlins are hard to find!

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Ghost on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:44 pm

Grayskies wrote:
Ghost wrote:If I was slinging anything on my shoulder in bear country I’d go with a 45-70 guide gun.

I know, I’ve been looking
Ghost

Postby Grayskies on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Ghost wrote:
Grayskies wrote:

I know, I’ve been looking

I have great 30/30 marlin, I should get her a scabbard, I got her used at Frontiersman for a great price long ago.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:59 pm

My choice was an Ithaca Model 37 DeerSlayer 20" loaded with 3 deer slugs and 2 #00 mix. My first shot was at 15 feet away and last shot at 3 feet away - 5 shots total AND I should mention it was 10:30 PM at dark night . The flashlight in my left hand controlled the pump action also.

Note: It was a very hungry Spring boar bear weighing 482 pounds as DNR weighed afterward.

Was I scared = HELL YES

I recommend carrying the largest gun you feel comfortable with - and carry a full reload with you as "buck fever" will make you miss a shot or two. A 357 will not do in a bear defense situation. I carry a heavy loaded 180 grain XTP in a GP100 except when in bear country. Then I carry a pre-Remington Marlin 444, but I would recommend a 45-70 with 405 grain JSP in an 18" Guide Gun.
OldmanFCSA

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat