Just in case, for a bear encounter?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Just in case, for a bear encounter?

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:18 pm

Think a 162 gr AP 308 round from a AR 308 with a 20 clip work on a bear oldman? Or a Beowulf?
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:38 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:My choice was an Ithaca Model 37 DeerSlayer 20" loaded with 3 deer slugs and 2 #00 mix. My first shot was at 15 feet away and last shot at 3 feet away - 5 shots total AND I should mention it was 10:30 PM at dark night . The flashlight in my left hand controlled the pump action also.

Note: It was a very hungry Spring boar bear weighing 482 pounds as DNR weighed afterward.

Was I scared = HELL YES

I recommend carrying the largest gun you feel comfortable with - and carry a full reload with you as "buck fever" will make you miss a shot or two. A 357 will not do in a bear defense situation. I carry a heavy loaded 180 grain XTP in a GP100 except when in bear country. Then I carry a pre-Remington Marlin 444, but I would recommend a 45-70 with 405 grain JSP in an 18" Guide Gun.

Why jsp over a hard cast lead or a solid? Most .45-70 jsp s tend to be for expansion in deer type game.
Holland&Holland

Postby atomic41 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:08 am

Ghost wrote:
atomic41 wrote:I use a Hill People Gear kit bag that rides on the chest.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

I run and hike with mine. The really nice thing is you can carry a pistol on your chest and it's concealed for times you are around other people. It's great when running on public trails.

How easy is it to get to your pistol? Do you have to unzip it first?

Yes you have double zipper pulls and it's fast and easy. Just position the two zipper pulls in the spot you want them. For me, it's left hand grabs and pulls while right hand reaches in to grab pistol.
atomic41

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat