What is the status of Coonan?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby justinvan on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:38 am

Does anyone know what is going on at Coonan? I was thinking I was going to look at getting one until I went to there website and looked at the Facebook page... looks like lots of people out of a lot of cash. Being a local business has anyone heard what is going on?
justinvan

Re: What is the status of Coonan?

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:30 pm

No replies?

Curious myself, checked out their site after seeing this. Don't do Facebook. Their site says they are bringing the company back but can not say what happened.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:44 am

I've no inside information. Their website says to stand by as we "restructure the company". When I hear words to that effect I think bankruptcy.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:46 am

Interesting, I've heard/seen/read nothing.
Ghost

Postby brad3579 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:04 am

Does not look good for anybody that has paid for an order or sent one in for repair, looks like it has been going on since late 2017.

https://www.bbb.org/us/mn/circle-pines/profile/gun-dealers/coonan-inc-0704-1000018980/complaints

Complaint Type: Problems with Product/Service

11/07/2018

I sent my firearm to Coonan on 9/5/18 for a repair. On 9/26/18, I was notified by telephone that my firearm would be shipped no later than the following Monday. I still have not received it. I've made numerous telephone calls, emails, and a fax with no response from anyone. The sheriff in Blaine went to the business several weeks ago to see if they were closed. This was at my request. He was told they were restructuring and it wouldn't be long before I received my firearm. I tried calling the business this morning. It is now a voice mail that requires a password to leave a message. I don't have a password and have never needed one before. It seems like poor business practice to not leave a message on their telephone line or their email which causes a great deal of frustration. This firearm cost $2,000.00 and I want to know when I'm going to get it back.
brad3579

Postby Randygmn on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:21 am

brad3579 wrote:Does not look good for anybody that has paid for an order or sent one in for repair, looks like it has been going on since late 2017.

https://www.bbb.org/us/mn/circle-pines/profile/gun-dealers/coonan-inc-0704-1000018980/complaints

11/07/2018

I sent my firearm to Coonan on 9/5/18 for a repair. On 9/26/18, I was notified by telephone that my firearm would be shipped no later than the following Monday. I still have not received it. I've made numerous telephone calls, emails, and a fax with no response from anyone. The sheriff in Blaine went to the business several weeks ago to see if they were closed. This was at my request. He was told they were restructuring and it wouldn't be long before I received my firearm. I tried calling the business this morning. It is now a voice mail that requires a password to leave a message. I don't have a password and have never needed one before. It seems like poor business practice to not leave a message on their telephone line or their email which causes a great deal of frustration. This firearm cost $2,000.00 and I want to know when I'm going to get it back.

I’m not sure if this is your complaint, but for 2 grand AND being local (which I define as being within 500 miles when $2k is at stake), I’d be the one knocking on their door.
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 am

brad3579 wrote:Does not look good for anybody that has paid for an order or sent one in for repair, looks like it has been going on since late 2017.

11/07/2018

Think they'll update if they had a resolution?
Ghost

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:50 am

I remember hearing a year ago about expansion. Would be nice if that is the cause of poor customer service...
gun_fan111v2

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:34 am

Bond Arms is acquiring them. :lol: just kidding

Whatever is going on they sure are doing a good job of keeping it quiet. They used to test fire their guns at Metro since it was so close. Not sure if they still do. So it's plausible Rick might have some kind of insight if someone were inclined to ask him.
grimbeaver

Postby Rodentman on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:25 pm

Sorry to hear this. I got my Coonan about 6 years ago after waiting over a year, but with no upfront $. Too bad they are so mysterious about the circumstances; that doesn't bode well I fear. It's a nice pistol, well made and fun to shoot.
Rodentman

Postby Ghost on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:16 pm

If I wasn’t on this forum I’d have likely never heard of them. Seems they could spend a bit more on marketing.
Ghost

Postby brad3579 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Randygmn wrote:

11/07/2018

I’m not sure if this is your complaint, but for 2 grand AND being local (which I define as being within 500 miles when $2k is at stake), I’d be the one knocking on their door.

Not mine, just one of the many listed by BBB.

Had similar problem years ago buying a special order gun safe. I did go to the store and was informed by the LEO that they called that I could not remain on their property. I then informed the owner (and asked the LEO if it was legal) that I would hire temp workers with signs saying "ask why they are on credit hold with some venders" to stand on the side the street in front of both of their locations for the whole labor day weekend . When he figured out that I serious he quickly refunded my money.
brad3579

Postby brad3579 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Ghost wrote:

11/07/2018

Think they'll update if they had a resolution?

I saw that it showed some as resolved so I might think that the company involved would probably send something to the BBB letting them know.
brad3579

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:54 am

Ghost wrote:If I wasn’t on this forum I’d have likely never heard of them. Seems they could spend a bit more on marketing.

They are a boutique manufacturer just like most custom 1911 shops that you have never heard of. Why spend money on marketing if demand is already exceeding your capacity?

Interestingly found this, looks like they were trying to raise $2 million late 2017 to pay off debt. At least I think that's what this says.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... ry_doc.xml

If that's right then that doesn't sound good for a company that small.
grimbeaver

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:37 am

grimbeaver wrote:
Ghost wrote:If I wasn’t on this forum I’d have likely never heard of them. Seems they could spend a bit more on marketing.

They are a boutique manufacturer just like most custom 1911 shops that you have never heard of. Why spend money on marketing if demand is already exceeding your capacity?

Interestingly found this, looks like they were trying to raise $2 million late 2017 to pay off debt. At least I think that's what this says.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... ry_doc.xml

If that's right then that doesn't sound good for a company that small.

Was demand exceeding capacity? Lack of growth is a business killer as costs inevitably go up.
Ghost

Next

Return to General Gun Chat