Great day at the range

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Great day at the range

Postby hard h2o on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Hit OGC this morning. Great weather for shooting.

My goal was to shoot the .300 WSM Savage, using 1 target, 3 rounds each at 50 yards, 100 yards, and 200 meters. I kind of messed up. At the 200 meter range I posted the target upside down. I use targets I created and printed myself so no text on them to alert to orientation. Oh well.

A guy on the 50 yard with a brand new AR carbine with a SIg Romeo. He was having trouble getting on paper. Small target and not bore sighted. I told him I had some big sheets of paper. Went and got two out of the car. Put an adhesive bull in the middle on one and near the top on the other since he though he was shooting low. He put them up side by side and shot at the one with the sticker near the top. He was way low and left. Got him on paper and from there he was able to adjust the optic. He was very grateful. The paper was a large size pad of kids doodle paper that the wife was going to throw out. Sometimes being a pack rat pays off. It also pays to bring more gear than you need. I usually only use that paper when I am sighting in to ensure shots on paper.

Went to the 200 meter. Two other guys there just getting set-up. One had an older Ruger Bolt action of some sort. Maybe a M77. Posted targets, came back and he takes a shot. Empty case was stuck. He could turn the bolt handle but not pull it rearward. They monkeyed around but could not make it budge. They decided to pack it in. As they are leaving he picks up the gun case. He had not zipped the back fully and the rifle slipped out. The rubber butt pad hit the concrete. The bolt popped to the rear and the case ejected. I think he was pretty pleased that he would not have to work to get the case out. They contemplated setting back up but finally decided that they should look at the rifle a bit more to see if they could find out why it got stuck. Seemed like it hadn't been shot in a while. Maybe some corrosion in the chamber.
hard h2o

Re: Great day at the range

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 pm

You are Far hardier than this old dog. I would have loved to go to shoot after the 2nd Sat Breakfast today, but I have a 40°F rule. Old Dog Don't go outside to shoot, until it's 40° or above.

Glad to hear you had a good day shooting. I'm still trying to get motivated to get to my reloading bench, and actually get a little Winter Work in.. :hmm:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Ghost on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Thanks you reminded me I need to get to the range.
Ghost

Postby hard h2o on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:10 pm

BigDog58 wrote:You are Far hardier than this old dog. I would have loved to go to shoot after the 2nd Sat Breakfast today, but I have a 40°F rule. Old Dog Don't go outside to shoot, until it's 40° or above.

Glad to hear you had a good day shooting. I'm still trying to get motivated to get to my reloading bench, and actually get a little Winter Work in.. :hmm:

I thought it would be warmer. I had my Wrangler fleece lined denims on. They are great when you are stationary in the cold, like sitting at a shooting bench, But if there is any sort of activity you sweat terribly. Some medium weight polyproplene under a sweatshirt topped with a windproof coat and I was fine. I had light weight and medium weight gloves with. I was fine shooting bare handed and only using the light gloves when checking targets and such. My medium weight Cabela's hunting boots kept my toes warm.

It also helps tremendously not having any wind. If I had been on the trap ranges I might not have fared as well.
hard h2o

Return to General Gun Chat