When did Como Park range close?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

When did Como Park range close?

Postby daleamn on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:35 pm

I remember shooting at the range at the Como Park pavilion. Does anyone know when it closed and why it was closed?
daleamn

Re: When did Como Park range close?

Postby xd ED on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:12 pm

daleamn wrote:I remember shooting at the range at the Como Park pavilion. Does anyone know when it closed and why it was closed?

Are you referring to the Lakeside Pavillon?
When was there a range there?
What type of shooting?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby daleamn on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:03 pm

I do believe it was the Lakeside Pavilion. Band concerts up above, boat and canoe rental out front and if you walked all the way in there was the shooting range.

I believe (and I sure could be wrong) that the St. Paul Pistol Club shot there every week in the winter time and this was in the late 1970's. I remember shooting there in 1980 but again, I could be mistaken, hence, the question.

We shot pistols. .22/.38/.45. The Boy Scouts might have shot .22 rifles there too. It was a 50 foot range, semi-heated (that's a poor attempt at humor) and very, very basic. Which helped to keep the cost down. BTW I was NOT a member of the St. Paul Pistol Club, I just think I remember they shot there.
daleamn

Postby xd ED on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:52 pm

I never knew of the range. I skated on the speed skating track every now and then in the late 70s-early 80s. The 'warming' house in the basement was a bit of a joke, as well.

That range sounds much like the 'range' in the basement of the barn at the Ramsey County Home (aka: poor farm), on White Bear Ave & Frost Ave. Typically used by LE, I did my gun safety shooting there... circa '65.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby smurfman on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:25 pm

My dad shot there as a kid in the 50's, he walked from home to there and back with the rifle in a canvas sleeve. He worked part time in the evenings at the park in the mid-late 60s and the range was still there but wasn't used when he was around. It may have been used on the weekends as he was off then.

Breck School was also in the area and they had a range for their rifle team. It must have been open to the public some of the time as my dad talked of shooting there and being offered to shoot a "double barrel elephant gun" there once. At least I think it was at Breck as he mentioned shooting at 100 yards and I doubt Como would have handled anything more than pistols and 22s.

Was there another range in the area? My dad would not have been driving so it would be in walking distance of Como Park or on/near a bus line.m
smurfman

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:24 am

daleamn wrote:I remember shooting at the range at the Como Park pavilion. Does anyone know when it closed and why it was closed?

My guess is quite long ago and the why is cause liberals.
Holland&Holland

Postby daleamn on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Hard H2O--That is quite a find. Thank you.
FYI It's a book "The WPA Projects of Minnesota" and a fun fact I did not know is that is where "the State Gallery Rifle Matches are [or were] held each April".

I thought I was doing extremely good to find this guide to Como Park:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... C0u3p5lzbG

But it has no mention of any shooting range at all or that the State matches used to be held there.

Thanks again.
daleamn

Postby hard h2o on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm

I tried a few different search strings before hitting on that.

The text I used was "como park pavilion shooting range".

I saw it was from a book and I could not copy and paste from that page.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:02 pm

hard h2o wrote:I tried a few different search strings before hitting on that.

The text I used was "como park pavilion shooting range".

I saw it was from a book and I could not copy and paste from that page.

So did we discover the year it closed?
Holland&Holland

Return to General Gun Chat