Protect MN is why I joined this forum

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Protect MN is why I joined this forum

Postby daleamn on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:05 pm

I’m a new member here and the “prod” to get me to join was Protect Minnesota. One of my wife’s friends was over and she said she wanted to talk to me about hunting because she had been to a Protect Minnesota meeting and they had urged her to do this. That is, talk to someone who hunts to find out why they do it.

She also shared some other stuff she got at the Protect Minnesota meeting.
1. The gun laws in the USA are weaker now than they have ever been.
2. A hundred years ago we had “child proof” handguns but we don’t have them today because modern handguns have “hair triggers”.
3. You can’t sue gun manufactures for anything.
4. Protect MN respects and loves hunters. Protect MN does NOT want to take away guns they want to make gun ownership safer.

Well now.

The thing is, I DON’T hunt. I haven’t hunted for 40 years. I have, and tell, hunting stories from when I was a kid and hunted geese and pheasants with my Dad, but he had health problems when I was a young teenager and had to give it up. I still read about hunting and still have hunting stories from my dad, his dad and other family members and friends.

I do have guns and I do shoot and I did try to correct her on the above points.

1. Prior to 1934, if I had the cash, I could buy a fully auto Tommy gun. No questions asked. Prior to 1968 I could buy guns mail order and have them delivered to my house. No questions asked.
2. There is no “child proof” gun. If an adult can operate it, a child, (maybe they have to use two hands) can operate it. The “modern guns have hair triggers” comment is just silly.
3. You can sue gun manufacturers if a gun is defective. You CANNOT sue a gun manufacturer if a bad guy uses the gun in a crime. You can’t sue Adidas if they wore those shoes during the crime and you can’t sue Ford if they drove away from the crime in a Taurus. It’s that simple.
4. I am glad Protect MN is dialing down the rhetoric on gun owners. We are not Nazi’s or terrorists and I’m glad they aren’t using those terms (probably Protect MN NEVER used those terms but they do get used fairly frequently and they are HIGHLY irritating).

So I looked around and found “mnguntalk.com” and right away on this site I found out “Minnesota Gun Rights” run by Dorr is not worth joining but “Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance” and “Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee” are good organizations.

Thank you for this information.
daleamn

Re: Protect MN is why I joined this forum

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Welcome. There is a wealth of knowledge here and some very smart people working with GOCRA and GOPAC. I hope you will consider joining and supporting those groups.

As for the Protect MN group, be very careful. They may have softened their rhetoric, but their aim is still the same - disarming the average citizen and disposing of guns. They will tell you they are hunter friendly, but I would argue that this is just a small incremental step in the overall plan. They have likely discovered that their shrill and alarmist - all in and over the top - approach was likely turning people off. I'm sure they are filled with "common sense" gun laws that seem, on the surface, to be compromise positions, but the erosion of rights is what they are after and they will not stop until their ultimate objective is reached.

In their minds they are totally vindicated and their passion is admirable, but its wrong and it runs contrary to the 2nd Amendment, so they know they need to ease in slowly and get the American Citizens to voluntarily surrender their rights since they don't have the right to take them away. Boil the frog analogy comes to mind..............

I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. I'm sure others can share their opinions as well.

Welcome.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby photogpat on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:41 pm

GOCRA has ceased most activities and encouraged its members to support the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus , gunowners.mn

They have a Rally coming up at the Capitol on Saturday Feb 23rd starting at 11am.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Ghost on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:06 pm

At least they are good for something. Welcome aboard the board.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:08 pm

daleamn wrote:I’m a new member here and the “prod” to get me to join was Protect Minnesota.<<<snipped content>>>
Thank you for this information.

You know, having a fly on the wall inside Protect Minnesota wouldn't be all bad...not saying'; just saying' ;)

and WELCOME
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby bstrawse on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Welcome aboard! I'm the Chair of the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & PAC -- you can learn more about us at gunowners.mn - I recommend getting on our mailing list for updates on the activities at the legislature and upcoming events. You can join the list right on the homepage.

We're fairly active on Facebook at https://facebook.com/gunownersmn - and we have a large rally coming up on February 23rd - learn more about that at http://gunowners.mn/events

MNGUNTALK is where I got my start in MN RKBA politics -- welcome!
Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm

You also can't sue Protect Minnesota for lies.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 pm

Ghost wrote:At least they are good for something. Welcome aboard the board.

Agreed, that is the best thing I have ever heard them do...
Holland&Holland

Postby bstrawse on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:32 pm

LarryFlew wrote:You also can't sue Protect Minnesota for lies.

We've sent them a cease and desist letter based on things they wrote and said about the Gun Owners Caucus ;)

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Ironbear on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:54 am

daleamn wrote:She also shared some other stuff she got at the Protect Minnesota meeting.
2. A hundred years ago we had “child proof” handguns but we don’t have them today because modern handguns have “hair triggers”.

How awful! How Terrible! I demand that the gun laws be rolled back a 100 years to alleviate this horror!!!!
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:05 am

Ironbear wrote:
daleamn wrote:She also shared some other stuff she got at the Protect Minnesota meeting.

How awful! How Terrible! I demand that the gun laws be rolled back a 100 years to alleviate this horror!!!!

And issue every citizen some S&W revolvers since they are child proof. A classic registered magnum would be nice!
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ironbear wrote:

And issue every citizen some S&W revolvers since they are child proof. A classic registered magnum would be nice!

That’s the problem with all these newfangled Saturday night special glocks. Not as safe as guns from 100 years ago.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:12 am

Ghost wrote:That’s the problem with all these newfangled Saturday night special glocks. Not as safe as guns from 100 years ago.

Pretty sure Russteria got the SNS issue solved on the glocks
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:That’s the problem with all these newfangled Saturday night special glocks. Not as safe as guns from 100 years ago.

Pretty sure Russteria got the SNS issue solved on the glocks

That's great news
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Problem is those damn muzzleloaders have gotten so dangerous since they made the muzzle crown tapered, heck, you can reload those things way quicker than you can sharpen a stick or find a good throwing rock. Don't get me started on those new hair triggered crossbows and the new sheaths make those new knives so quick to wield, it'll make your powdered wig spin......
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Next

Return to General Gun Chat