How Stock & Barrel Gun Club screwed my family over

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Erud on Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:46 pm

This is not a shooting-related story, but here goes;

Stock & Barrel hired my wife, whom some of you know, to work as their Member Services and Events Manager at the new Eagan location. She originally applied for a different position, but after submitting her resume, the hiring manager (Michael Mihajlov) suggested that she would be better suited for the sales & event position, and asked if she was interested in interviewing for that job. She agreed, and went to an interview at the Chanhassen location with Michael, Kevin Vick (Chief Operating Officer), and the owner, Mike Reilly.

That interview resulted in a job offer for the Member Services and Events Manager position. Compensation, duties, and schedule were all worked out and settled. An hourly wage was agreed upon, but the real money was in commissions for selling memberships. This was to be a full-time job, 40 hours/week. The hours were to be Monday – Friday 10 am - 3pm (25 hours) at the Eagan location, plus an additional 15 hours/week of flexible time to be spent following up on sales calls & emails from home, and/or making corporate sales visits. I know this for a fact, because while they were trying to hire her, Michael invited the two of us over for a tour of the new facility while it was still under construction, and all of these details were clearly stated. We were both impressed with the facility, and what they were offering. Based on this, she decided to take the job after that tour/meeting.

She gave her two weeks’ notice at her other job, and arranged with Michael M to get started at S&B on January 21, to get two full weeks of training in before we were to leave for a previously-scheduled vacation. Shortly afterwards, things started getting weird. There were clearly some serious communication issues between Michael M and everyone else at Stock & Barrel. She showed up as scheduled on Monday, 1/21 at the Chanhassen location to fill out paperwork, get uniforms, and watch training videos, but when she got there, no one knew who she was, or what she was there for. They improvised and had her fill out new hire paperwork and arranged for her to take pre-employment hearing and blood level tests at the local clinic that they use for that purpose. She spoke with Michael that evening, and he reassured her that everything was fine, and told her to come back on Wednesday 1/23. He said that he would be there, and that he’d have everything straightened out by then. When she got there on Wednesday 1/23, Michael was not there, and again no one was expecting her. She then spoke to Mike Reilly, who told her that they were doing some "restructuring" of the personnel, and that the job she was hired for didn't actually exist. Michael Mihajlov wasn’t the hiring guy anymore (but he does still work there in some sort of management capacity), and he was not going to be managing the new Eagan store after all. He also stated that Michael shouldn't have offered the job to her, and that she would need to deal directly with him (the owner) now. The job they had for her now was basically a regular counter job, with regular retail hours - nights, weekends, etc. He said that they would honor the hourly wage that was agreed upon. This wasn't a great wage to begin with, and was considerably less than the job she had just left - like I said, the money in this job was the commissions. The agreed upon schedule was also a major factor in her taking this job, as she was previously working retail hours and was very much looking forward to working set hours with evenings and weekends off. This put her/us in a pretty bad situation. We were on our way out of the country on a trip that had been booked for over half a year. She had worked this out beforehand with S&B when she was hired, and timed the job transition around this trip. Mike Reilly told her not to worry about it, to have a good trip and they'd get everything straightened out when she got back. Before leaving, she worked a total of 4 hours (she was previously told that she’d be working 2 full weeks) at the Chanhassen store doing some training stuff, and she got paid at a rate $2/hour less than the agreed wage.

While we were gone, she got her schedule via email and was scheduled to work 3 days the week after she got back, (Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday) 15 hours total. This is a real problem, since she left a higher-paying full time (40 hours/week) job with benefits and commissions to take this. A 15-hour/week part-time job is not going to pay the bills. Since getting back home, she has been talking with her previous employer trying to get her old job back. She left there on good terms, had good communications, gave proper notice, etc, but obviously she lost some leverage when she left. She was a full-time assistant manager before she left, and now she is being hired back as a part-time (30-ish hours/week) lead with 20% lower pay, no benefits, and lower commissions. This really sucks for us, but is still a hell of a lot better than what they actually have for her at Stock & Barrel. She called Mike Reilly the morning of February 20 to let him know that she would not be coming back. She also told him what she thought about their operation - in a professional manner, she isn't the screaming/swearing type. He hung up on her after telling her that her dissatisfaction with the situation was unreasonable.

To add insult to injury, she got a bill in the mail while we were gone for the hearing and blood lead level tests. As mentioned, they have all employees tested when hired, and again annually to prevent/head off issues with either of those things. Sounds like a good policy, but they should probably tell the employees that they will be on the hook for the cost. The owner told her (on the phone call this morning before hanging up on her) that this bill was paid. She called the clinic to confirm, and they said that only part of it was paid by Stock & Barrel, and the bill she received was for the remainder. At this point I have no real reason to believe that S&B will do the right thing and pay their bill, so we will probably be stuck with it. This is a fairly minor thing, but it’s a pretty un-professional way to do business.

Lots of other nonsense went on, but those are the main points. Needless to say, her experience (and mine) with this place has come to an end. She has lost over a month of work with no pay. She is going back to the place she left to do the same job for much less money, and no benefits. There was never any sort of apology from the hiring manager ("Hey, sorry I hired you for a job that I just made up"), from the owner, or from anyone else. No offer to try to make it right. Seemingly no comprehension or concern over the financial position that this stupefying situation has put her/us in. Just a complete bush-league ****-show on their end.

Thanks Stock and Barrel.
Erud

Re: How Stock & Barrel Gun Club screwed my family over

Postby Rodentman on Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:02 pm

Geez, that really stinks to put it mildly. I know it won't help you any, but rest assured I won't have anything to do with such an operation. I wasn't thrilled with their membership terms and policies anyway.

So sorry you have to deal with this.
Rodentman

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:25 pm

That sucks. Sorry to hear how that all went down.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:40 pm

Best of luck recovering from this. Not that it's any consolation, but s&b shot themselves in the foot, both by missing out on a great employee, and pissing off a lot of people in the process.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby rtk on Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 pm

WTF...they will be dead in the water before long if they run the operation like that.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Sorcerer on Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Considering how qwickly S&Bs north store was opened then closed, I’d have been nervous to (a) apply for employment (b) pay the big out lay of money to become a member. Kinda reminds me of Armered Defence that is now Bills North.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Wasn't there a Navy Seal run group in like the New Hope area that came and went pretty fast too?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:29 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Wasn't there a Navy Seal run group in like the New Hope area that came and went pretty fast too?

Sealed Mindset?

got off to a bad start when their sock-puppet PR campaign was outed right here on MGT, I believe....not my kind of place, but they did have some sort of VR 'Hunt for bin laden' class, as well, I recall.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:32 pm

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Wasn't there a Navy Seal run group in like the New Hope area that came and went pretty fast too?

Sealed Mindset?

got off to a bad start when their sock-puppet PR campaign was outed right here on MGT, I believe....not my kind of place, but they did have some sort of VR 'Hunt for bin laden' class, as well, I recall.

That's it!
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:59 pm

xd ED wrote:

Sealed Mindset?

Damn, I know I could have found him and this is the first I’ve heard of it.
Ghost

Postby rtk on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Sealed Mindset didn’t screw anyone over as far as I know, they just adjusted and changed their business plan.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:17 pm

Ghost wrote:
xd ED wrote:

Sealed Mindset?

Damn, I know I could have found him and this is the first I’ve heard of it.

Gotta keep up ;)
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:20 pm

After reading Erud’s story it’s clear to me there are other places for my business. I won’t even visit.
Ghost

Postby INOR on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:41 pm

That’s pretty f***ed up. Sorry that happened. Hope your wife keeps her head up about this. Had to be pretty discouraging to deal with that nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your story, really hoping something even better comes her way very soon.
gun_fan111v2

Next

Return to General Gun Chat