Why prepping is rational statistically

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Why prepping is rational statistically

Postby Grandpa Rex on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:15 pm

The best defense would be to be invisible. However, if a majority of a population survives a disaster, there is little to no space to disappear to. After a few weeks , people less prepared would start roving. There are few areas other than wilderness where you could truly hide.

We can leverage our success in a disaster in a number of ways...but the best way to survive in a SHTF situation is not to get in one to begin with.

I have no idea how to avoid that situation though...
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Grandpa Rex

Postby Ghost on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Grandpa Rex wrote:The best defense would be to be invisible. However, if a majority of a population survives a disaster, there is little to no space to disappear to. After a few weeks , people less prepared would start roving. There are few areas other than wilderness where you could truly hide.

We can leverage our success in a disaster in a number of ways...but the best way to survive in a SHTF situation is not to get in one to begin with.

I saw where people used a prison once, then a cyclops ran a tank through the fence.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:01 pm

Ghost wrote:
Grandpa Rex wrote:The best defense would be to be invisible. However, if a majority of a population survives a disaster, there is little to no space to disappear to. After a few weeks , people less prepared would start roving. There are few areas other than wilderness where you could truly hide.

I saw where people used a prison once, then a cyclops ran a tank through the fence.

Grendel would take down that Cyclops no problem.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Being prepared for some modest calamity is certainly reasonable.

Enough food to get through an event. Ensuring you have clean water. Keeping a stockpile of medication that you need available for an event. Fuel to heat yourself and cook.

The problem arises when the length of time gets longer, and the things you want to protect yourself from become absurd.

A zombie apocalypse? ********.

Nuclear war? Well, odds of a single family surviving this in isolation are nil. The more advanced groups try and develop some sort of mini society, which works if you have enough folks and they all have common purpose, but as common “Preppers” it will not work (your own fallout shelter and keeping the folks not wise enough to be ready out)- having a farm site with game and water available will attract hordes eventually, and short of heavy military gear and training (and a ruthlessness that is probably sociopathic) you will join the have nots if you don’t just get killed.

The likelihood of having an event that you can prepare for is pretty good- a flood, a major storm knocking out power or transport-

But a event removing civil authority to the point that you need weapons to keep yourself alive and protect property without being responsible to the authorities for what will be seen as excessive force is pretty much unsurvivable anyhow, regardlesss of your preparedness.
crbutler

Postby Ghost on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Grendel would take down that Cyclops no problem.

True but in this reality tv show they used crossbows, Pythons and samurai swords. They were under gunned.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:21 pm

crbutler wrote:Being prepared for some modest calamity is certainly reasonable.

Enough food to get through an event. Ensuring you have clean water. Keeping a stockpile of medication that you need available for an event. Fuel to heat yourself and cook.

The problem arises when the length of time gets longer, and the things you want to protect yourself from become absurd.

A zombie apocalypse? ********.

Nuclear war? Well, odds of a single family surviving this in isolation are nil. The more advanced groups try and develop some sort of mini society, which works if you have enough folks and they all have common purpose, but as common “Preppers” it will not work (your own fallout shelter and keeping the folks not wise enough to be ready out)- having a farm site with game and water available will attract hordes eventually, and short of heavy military gear and training (and a ruthlessness that is probably sociopathic) you will join the have nots if you don’t just get killed.

The likelihood of having an event that you can prepare for is pretty good- a flood, a major storm knocking out power or transport-

But a event removing civil authority to the point that you need weapons to keep yourself alive and protect property without being responsible to the authorities for what will be seen as excessive force is pretty much unsurvivable anyhow, regardlesss of your preparedness.

Yet it is likely some would survive. Mostly by luck or happenstance but the complete extinction of the human race with no survivors is unlikely. Better to try to survive and maybe get lucky than not because it is against all odds.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:26 pm

Some people will survive because humans are an adaptable animal.

A nuclear war/comet strike/ whatever is not survivable as an individual or as a society.

Within 2-3 generations after such an event we would be back in the dark ages and it would be centuries before we climbed back to similar technology as we have now. Having a family farm with 15 folks armed to the teeth would not change that. The folks who are trying to prep for that are deluded.

Similar efforts to prevent that catastrophe would be vastly more effective. Reading the apocalyptic literature makes a good story, but that’s all it is, a story.

I’m not at all against some level of preparedness, but be reasonable so you don’t get all of us declared to be nuts.
crbutler

Postby Grayskies on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:35 pm

crbutler wrote:<Snip>

I’m not at all against some level of preparedness, but be reasonable so you don’t get all of us declared to be nuts.

Its already too late for most of us...
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:56 pm

crbutler wrote:Some people will survive because humans are an adaptable animal.

A nuclear war/comet strike/ whatever is not survivable as an individual or as a society.

Within 2-3 generations after such an event we would be back in the dark ages and it would be centuries before we climbed back to similar technology as we have now. Having a family farm with 15 folks armed to the teeth would not change that. The folks who are trying to prep for that are deluded.

Similar efforts to prevent that catastrophe would be vastly more effective. Reading the apocalyptic literature makes a good story, but that’s all it is, a story.

So.... don't try?
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:31 pm

Don't sit around buying geiger counters, full up NBC suits, etc.

Prepare for what is survivable- like a flood or a big power outage.

Self sufficiency in and of itself is fine, but building a big fallout shelter is fallacious.

If you are going to expend enough resources to "deal" with a comet strike, etc. give the money to a research group instead that might actually save us by dealing with the issue in advance.
crbutler

Postby INOR on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:05 am

All well and good, but if we’re going to die anyways, why not go down fighting for your survival to the last breath? I’m not a prepper but just because the reality is that most wont survive a huge catastrophe or cataclysmic world event, doesn’t mean that one shouldn’t be prepared to at least try. I do agree though that first priority should be to survive a temporary situation for a period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:36 am

I guess that should there be a catastrophe like the one being talked about here, I'm fairly well prepared.

Being fat, will at least allow me to live longer on my "reserves" as long as I can store enough drinkable water, and enough firepower and ammo, to stop those that might try to resort to cannibalism :gun: :shock:

Once all the skinny people die off, I'll have the run of the place :didntdoit:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Ghost on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:27 pm

I wouldn’t consider myself a prepper but I can see having a decent supply of canned goods on hand and buy a replacement when used. Keep some water filtration systems available. Plus thermal and suppressed weapons for night work/hunting if needed.

All gun owners should have a healthy supply of ammo.

I also like multi-caliber guns in the event ammo became scarce for many reasons. Limiting calibers can hurt if we had another panic.
Ghost

Postby INOR on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Ghost wrote:I also like multi-caliber guns in the event ammo became scarce for many reasons. Limiting calibers can hurt if we had another panic.

I agree with this. For handguns, I mainly enjoy shooting 9mm but I like having some other calibers around too. I’m not so well equipped with different rifle calibers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Grayskies on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:37 pm

People interested in prepping should look into ham radio, a tech license is easy and inexpensive. We even train to provide radio communications in disasters and emergencies.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat