Some dudes think their stuff is gold

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby INOR on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:42 am

This happens everywhere of course. Some old guys think their guns are worth their weight in gold. See it all the time on gun auction sites. So much stuff there in excess of normal retail prices. I’m not talking collector stuff. Just everyday normal handguns. The handgun market is depressed. You can get handguns cheaper now than any other time in my memory. But some guys are hanging on to prices from 10-15 years ago. There’s even a guy here who never seems to post anything but ads for what he wants to sell or trade and his prices are always absurd. That’s their business of course but I sure as hell ain’t paying in excess of brand new retail for a used gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: Some dudes think their stuff is gold

Postby Erud on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:08 am

Erud

Postby Sorcerer on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 am

Then there are those here and other on line places, that “offer” below the whole sale price.
Sorcerer

Postby Ironbear on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:39 am

Yeah. Gunbroker's "completed" auction search is your friend. You just scroll down past all the auctions with zero bids, until you find ones with bids and you have a good idea what the market really is...

On the other side of it... I had a friend who said, "I don't need to sell it. I don't even really want to sell it. But if someone is willing to pay me that much for it... I'll sell it!" :D
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby INOR on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:48 am

Ironbear wrote:On the other side of it... I had a friend who said, "I don't need to sell it. I don't even really want to sell it. But if someone is willing to pay me that much for it... I'll sell it!" :D

I guess I get that. I have a couple guns I don’t want or need anymore but their value has depressed so much, there’s no point in selling them really other than safe space.

INOR

Postby jdege on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:06 am

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you're interested, I have an old .22LR single-shot. One of those $5 Sears&Roebuck pieces of crap from back in the 1920s.

My grandmother pulled it out of a brush fire, back during the depression.

The stock is charred and the bore is pitted.

Clearly it has collector value.

I'll let it go for $300 :?
jdege

Postby Ghost on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:19 am

I’ve never sold a gun
Ghost

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:49 am

Luckily this forum barely has any active members, so skipping through an overpriced For Sale ad or two is quick :)

Seriously though, I wonder if anybody tried to offer these folks a fair market price and what response they received.
gun_fan111v2

Postby INOR on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:56 am

gun_fan111v2 wrote:Luckily this forum barely has any active members, so skipping through an overpriced For Sale ad or two is quick :)

Seriously though, I wonder if anybody tried to offer these folks a fair market price and what response they received.

One guy here had a Shield 9mm up for trade a couple of years ago. I had just bought one when S&W had the $75 rebates on them which, combined with a sale price, meant the gun was selling for $224.99. My brother-in-law missed that sale but wanted one at the time, so I messaged the guy about his Shield to see if he would be interested in selling. He told me that he paid $370 a couple of years before but that it was still NIB and that he'd "let it go" for that. Yeah, no thanks. Same gun regular price today is $249.99 at PSA.
INOR

Postby Rodentman on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:50 am

You should see the beat to crap Rolex watches that were $100 50 years ago now selling for $25k.
Rodentman

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:33 am

INOR wrote:This happens everywhere of course. Some old guys think their guns are worth their weight in gold. See it all the time on gun auction sites. So much stuff there in excess of normal retail prices. I’m not talking collector stuff. Just everyday normal handguns. The handgun market is depressed. You can get handguns cheaper now than any other time in my memory. But some guys are hanging on to prices from 10-15 years ago. There’s even a guy here who never seems to post anything but ads for what he wants to sell or trade and his prices are always absurd. That’s their business of course but I sure as hell ain’t paying in excess of brand new retail for a used gun.

Maybe they are basing their pricing based on what they paid for it at the old Gander Mountain?
Holland&Holland

Postby MNIceMan on Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:01 pm

How about some of the dealers at the MWCA shows that have had the same firearms on their table for 10 years, and the price keeps going up each year. Not a great business model. Sentimental value does cloud quite a few peoples ability to price things correctly per the market.
MN DNR FAS Instructor
NRA Life Member
"We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
MNIceMan

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:22 pm

INOR wrote:One guy here had a Shield 9mm up for trade a couple of years ago. I had just bought one when S&W had the $75 rebates on them which, combined with a sale price, meant the gun was selling for $224.99. My brother-in-law missed that sale but wanted one at the time, so I messaged the guy about his Shield to see if he would be interested in selling. He told me that he paid $370 a couple of years before but that it was still NIB and that he'd "let it go" for that. Yeah, no thanks. Same gun regular price today is $249.99 at PSA.

I am sure he still has that Shield, and it’s still NIB... not that there is anything wrong with that.
gun_fan111v2

Postby xd ED on Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Ghost wrote:I’ve never sold a gun

I did.
Once.

Still regret it.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ironbear on Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:01 pm

xd ED wrote:
Ghost wrote:I’ve never sold a gun

I did.
Once.

Still regret it.

Sold a DPMS stripped lower plus trigger group, for $425 during the past craziness.... don't regret it at all....
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Next

Return to General Gun Chat