Some dudes think their stuff is gold

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Some dudes think their stuff is gold

Postby Hmac on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:15 pm

INOR wrote:
atomic41 wrote:Went to a gun show last year for the first time in a very long time, got a great reminder of why I don't go.
Among the rows of rare and gold plated museum pieces :roll: , I found the pot of honey. A gentleman was selling 5.56 "green tips" for only $.99/per rd! He had a sign that read, "banned soon".
'

I went to Bill's in Hudson a couple of weekends ago intending to shoot my M&P Sport II. Only had green tips in my pre-loaded mags. They wouldn't let me shoot them. Had no idea why. Then I read up about the "armor piercing" controversy. Is that the only reason why Bill's won't let people fire green tips there? Guess I'll just have to save those for the impending apocalypse.

I've never seen an indoor range that didn't specifically prohibit green-tip. Since most of those ranges are lined with AR500 armor to keep the rounds inside, the use of armor-piercing ammo would seem unwise....
Hmac

Some dudes think their stuff is gold

Postby INOR on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Yeah, I hadn’t even looked at the ammo that I had or even really considered that. Oh well, lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Hmac on Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:07 pm

They also don't allow tracers.....
Hmac

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:36 pm

INOR wrote:
Erud wrote:I’m pretty sure no one is willing to pay him the cost of his rifle plus what he spent on upgrades and ammo to buy it. Also, 50# of gold at current spot price is just over $1million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you get a pic of me?
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:10 am

I do think the steel case rule is not easily defensible. Not all steel case is steel core projectiles and dirty burning.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby photogpat on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:57 am

Green tip M855 is NOT armor piercing....it's performance against steel is the same as any other .223/556 commercially available.

Don't do the anti's job for them by perpetuating this myth.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Guessing from previous info in gun magazines etc it is the chance of sparking that stops the ranges from allowing them due to fire possibility.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:43 pm

So why don’t we allow it at OGC?
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:40 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:So why don’t we allow it at OGC?

Armor Piercing, Steel Core, or Green Tip?

I just took the OGC certification for Lead RSO. No where in the bylaws or member handbook does it mention "Green Tip". It is not part of any briefing I have heard prior to RSO work.

We do have magnets at each range to detect steel core.

It does say:
"Illegal Ammunition
Use of tracers, incendiary, rocket-propelled, armor piercing or explosive ammunition not permitted on
club grounds."
hard h2o

Postby photogpat on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:23 am

Green tip is ok at OGC. Someone went all the way to the board with that info about it NOT being armor piercing. The magnets are also irrelevant due to mild steel jackets on some of the Wolf/Commie Block ammo. Basically, unless it’s black tip M2, or the yellow tip Chicom/Eastern stuff...you’re golden.
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:53 am

photogpat wrote:Green tip is ok at OGC. Someone went all the way to the board with that info about it NOT being armor piercing. The magnets are also irrelevant due to mild steel jackets on some of the Wolf/Commie Block ammo. Basically, unless it’s black tip M2, or the yellow tip Chicom/Eastern stuff...you’re golden.

Ok, that is new again then. As of last years range duty we were still being told no green tip.
Holland&Holland

Postby photogpat on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Ok, that is new again then. As of last years range duty we were still being told no green tip.

Sometimes, absent guidance from management, folks set "policy" from their office....ALL kinds of "policy"...like "rapid fire", prone shooting, etc etc etc....
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 pm

photogpat wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Ok, that is new again then. As of last years range duty we were still being told no green tip.

Sometimes, absent guidance from management, folks set "policy" from their office....ALL kinds of "policy"...like "rapid fire", prone shooting, etc etc etc....

These were specific items discussed by the board and disseminated to the RSOs, both when enacted and later approved. So I don't think it was a person deciding policy. Not saying they got it right each time but it did follow the process.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 am

photogpat wrote:Green tip is ok at OGC. Someone went all the way to the board with that info about it NOT being armor piercing. The magnets are also irrelevant due to mild steel jackets on some of the Wolf/Commie Block ammo. Basically, unless it’s black tip M2, or the yellow tip Chicom/Eastern stuff...you’re golden.

It has indeed come up in our briefings that the magnets are less than reliable in filtering out steel core.

I am a bit more concerned about muzzle discipline and keeping people away from the benches when the line is safe than I am with what ammo they are using. If I hear them pinging rounds off the steel posts I will attempt to correct their aim.

If one were to see a flash on impact that indicated incendiary or armor piercing rounds were in use then I would inspect.

Whenever I brand new firearms being uncased, sometimes unboxed right from Cabelas or an LGS, I pay attention. It is likely a new shooter. I have seen a few of these unboxings result in the shooter being reimbursed and sent home due to having purchased the wrong ammo for their firearm. Once it was .300 Winchester Magnum ammo paired with a rifle chambered in .300 Winchester Short Magnum.
hard h2o

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:30 am

Potato... patahto :)
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat