Game Fair and Protect Minnesota

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Game Fair and Protect Minnesota

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:38 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:So invite them over for a beer then. Look I don't support organizations who perpetrate limiting my rights. Simple as that. Sure, they have freedom to say what ever they want but that does not mean I have to listen or spend my money to be where they are stating it.

Your logic escapes me. How is an anti-gun group renting a space at a gun friendly venue analogous to inviting someone over for a beer?

I don't like PM or Bloomberg anymore than anyone else here. Just because they're there doesn't mean anyone has to listen to them.

If you think it's a good idea to ban groups with certain views from a venue, then don't be surprised (or complain) when groups you approve of get banned at other venues.

Sometimes freedom is scary.

ETA: I have no plans to go to Game Fair. If I did, I wouldn't let PM being there stop me from going or enjoying myself while there.

You mean like gun shops in Minneapolis are banned?
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:34 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Your logic escapes me. How is an anti-gun group renting a space at a gun friendly venue analogous to inviting someone over for a beer?

I don't like PM or Bloomberg anymore than anyone else here. Just because they're there doesn't mean anyone has to listen to them.

If you think it's a good idea to ban groups with certain views from a venue, then don't be surprised (or complain) when groups you approve of get banned at other venues.

Sometimes freedom is scary.

ETA: I have no plans to go to Game Fair. If I did, I wouldn't let PM being there stop me from going or enjoying myself while there.

The Game Fair is meant to celebrate dogs, hunting, and shooting. So here's an analogy for you. How about inviting an unrelated Satanist to your family's Easter dinner for the express intention of converting your friends and family? I doubt your friends and family would appreciate it.

I'm sure the owners of the Game Fair have some standards for who they rent out booths to.

When it comes to free speech I'm with you. But when a business aids and abets the enemy I'll let them know how I feel about it.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:48 am

I keep reading the word "invite", so I'll ask the same question I asked on the last page.

Was PM invited to Game Fair, or did they simply apply and pay for a space?

There is a huge difference between someone applying for space at a public venue and being invited.

As far as inviting a satanist to dinner. (lol) I don't know any Satanists, but if I did, and if he was intent with having a sane and polite conversation, I would have no problem with it. You see, my family has firm convictions, I'm confident nothing he could say would convert us. Plus, there's a possibility, we might be able to convert him. ;)
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:08 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I keep reading the word "invite", so I'll ask the same question I asked on the last page.

There is a huge difference between someone applying for space at a public venue and being invited.

As far as inviting a satanist to dinner. (lol) I don't know any Satanists, but if I did, and if he was intent with having a sane and polite conversation, I would have no problem with it. You see, my family has firm convictions, I'm confident nothing he could say would convert us. Plus, there's a possibility, we might be able to convert him. ;)

So it sounds like you are opposed to freedom of association.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:So it sounds like you are opposed to freedom of association.

?????

Sorry you've lost me. Please explain.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:36 am

It sounded like you were saying that if it is a public venue that the Game Fair is obligated to allow anyone to be a vendor.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:29 pm

In an ideal world, Game Fair could restrict admittance to anyone they chose. Just a wild ass guess on my part, I'm guessing they'd be facing a lawsuit restricting admittance without some obvious and overwhelming evidence.

Either way, no one will be forced to talk to PM. You're free to associate with them, or you're free not to.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby MJY65 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:31 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Either way, no one will be forced to talk to PM. You're free to associate with them, or you're free not to.

That might actually be the best idea. Let them spend their time and money being lonely and ignored.
MJY65

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:31 pm

MJY65 wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:Either way, no one will be forced to talk to PM. You're free to associate with them, or you're free not to.

That might actually be the best idea. Let them spend their time and money being lonely and ignored.

:exactly:
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:In an ideal world, Game Fair could restrict admittance to anyone they chose. Just a wild ass guess on my part, I'm guessing they'd be facing a lawsuit restricting admittance without some obvious and overwhelming evidence.

Either way, no one will be forced to talk to PM. You're free to associate with them, or you're free not to.

I don't think they would face a lawsuit unless PM is now considered a protected class :?
Jackpine Savage

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:27 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I keep reading the word "invite", so I'll ask the same question I asked on the last page.

It is not a public venue. It is a private for profit business.

Which I am choosing not to support based on their actions.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Just heard on the radio that PM is having a rally tomorrow at the capital so those that want can attend that for free rather than paying the $12 to see them at the game fair.

You are welcome.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:It is not a public venue. It is a private for profit business.

Which I am choosing not to support based on their actions.

If you don't want to go, don't go.

All I'm saying is, their presence there doesn't bother me. If I wanted to go I wouldn't let PM having a booth there stop me from enjoying the fair.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby bstrawse on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Well, I received a very prompt response from the organizers. He encourage I attend and be open to discussing my views with those I disagree with.

Maybe I am just too much of a curmudgeon, but I just do not understand why an industry that needs guns to function, feels that they have to play nice with an organization that is working to eliminate them? Do they really feel that Protect MN will stop at UBCs and Red flag laws and that the whole industry will continue on uninterrupted?

My understanding -- PM explained they were a gun safety organization and wanted to hand out gun locks (they have a grant to do exactly that).

But we all know it's more than that.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:We’re they invited, or did they apply for a space just like everyone else?

They applied.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat