Gun Talk on TPT Almanac 8/9/2019

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gun Talk on TPT Almanac 8/9/2019

Postby daleamn on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:52 am

Almanac had Bryan Strawser and Nancy Bence (Protect Minnesota) on for a talk about gun control. You can view it here:
https://www.tpt.org/almanac/video/calls ... ion-35751/
I thought the debate was pretty mild. No dramatics from either side.
However, even though I admit to being totally biased on this issue it seemed the hosts really did give Bence the last word on practically every point brought up and never challenged her when she said (twice) that 90% of Minnesotans are in favor of tougher gun control laws. Personally I doubt 90% of Minnesotans would agree that ANYTHING could get an agreement rate of 90% in Minnesota.

Bence also touted their presences at Game Fair and said hunters are coming up to their booth saying they are sick of these mass shootings and killings. Well yeah, I don’t suppose many are for them…maybe THAT might get a 90% agreement, but I doubt 90% agree more laws will solve the problem.

I thought Bryan Strawser did a very good job. He put the gun rights points across calmly and logically. I suppose he could have tried interrupting Bence, (she did it to him) talking over her and arguing against everything she said but then, I think he would have come across as some kind of jerk and turned off the majority of viewers (which is probably what Bence was hoping for) so I’m glad he took the high road and did NOT do that and I thank him for again going into a forum where, quite frankly, the deck is stacked against him to make our points for us.
daleamn

Re: Gun Talk on TPT Almanac 8/9/2019

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:07 am

NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby daleamn on Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:33 am

Sorry! My mistake. I'll report my post to the moderators.
daleamn

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:31 pm

Leave it up, I like seeing the point of view.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:45 pm

I didn't indicate the "dupe" in order for you to take yours down. I just wanted others to see that we had the option to see more on the same issue.

In the fight that's started against guns, we need as much education on the subject as possible. We need to know more about the subject, than our opponents on the other side do.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby bstrawse on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:55 am

Thanks for your kind words. One of my goals in any debate is to be the calm, polite, smiling one. Nancy did not foam at the mouth in this one as she had in previous debates.

I thought the debate was fairminded. Mary Lahammer has been a very fair journalist on this issue - and I thought Eric did a good job of pointing out some issues - such as the fact the DFL House never passed these bills as standalone legislation and did, in fact, bury them in a budget bill.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Return to General Gun Chat