Question from a Texan

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Question from a Texan

Postby aamealer on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Hello. Texan here. I've got family in the Minneapolis area and was looking to pursue getting my out of state LTC since Mn doesn't have reciprocity with Tx LTC. From what I understand, since I don't live in the state, I'm free to get my LTC in whatever county I choose. I was hoping you guys would be able to point me in the direction of counties more friendly to the process. I don't mind jumping through whatever hoops I'm supposed to jump through, but would prefer that the process not be complicated by law enforcement that isn't as friendly towards civilian carry.

Something close by Minneapolis would be nice, but I also don't mind driving for a few hours to get this done if it produces better results. Thanks in advance for whatever help you guys can give.
aamealer

Re: Question from a Texan

Postby linksep on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 pm

MN is a SHALL ISSUE state for residents and non-residents alike. If you take a firearms safety/carry class that meets the requirements for MN and present that certificate to any Sheriff's office (for non-resident) with that county's PTC administration fee, capped at $100 by law, (assuming you pass the NICS background check the county charges you $100 for), you WILL be granted a permit to carry a handgun in MN. (Carry is carry MN - open-carry or concealed-carry is no different).

Washington county (East suburbs) is the only county *I* know of that charges less than the $100 legal maximum (Washington Co. is $75). It is up to you to decide if the trip to Stillwater is worth $25 and maybe patronizing an ever-so-slightly more firearm friendly Sheriff's office.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Erud on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:37 am

Dakota county was also less than $100 the last time I renewed, I’m thinking it was $75 too.
Erud

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:24 am

Hennepin county has made the process much easier than it was with there new Brooklyn Park location for apps. Still $100 but convenient.
Holland&Holland

Postby westhope on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:06 am

Does anyone have a map showing what counties charge for their Permit To Carry?

Steele county was $100 but they offer a steep discount for former police and military.

As a non-resident of MN, you can apply to any county. All applications should be the same.

As far as the required training goes, there are a few instructors that offer online training. You must then shoot their qualification. Training prices I know of vary from $50 on up.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby BigBlue on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:29 pm

McLeod county is $70 for new and $50 to renew.
BigBlue

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Not sure of current price but Carver sent permit in 2 days.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby aamealer on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:31 am

First off, thank you for the replies. While cost is a small part of the equation, other considerations are far more relevant to me. I don't mind paying a $100, especially if the county that I go to is very straightforward about their process. Frankly, patronage of a right-leaning county counts further in my book than the cost does.

Furthermore, while I understand that Minnesota is a shall issue state, I've only got one visit to the state this year in order to secure this license. It's about a 20 hour drive to Minnesota from where I am in Texas, so an experience reflecting "Alright, you've done the process, license will come in so many days" is much more preferable to "Ah ah ah, you didn't cross this T in quite the way that we want you to here in this county" and then having to deal with that while I'm visiting family instead of just visiting family. Maybe that doesn't occur in even the most liberal of counties, I don't know, that's why I'm asking this question.

I've also read accounts of people receiving their LTC over the counter, rather than having it mailed due to the smallness of certain county sheriffs offices. If anyone has had that experience it would be welcome to hear about it, I would definitely go out of my way to visit that county.

Again, thank you for the feedback. It is much appreciated.
aamealer

Postby bstrawse on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:37 am

aamealer wrote:First off, thank you for the replies. While cost is a small part of the equation, other considerations are far more relevant to me. I don't mind paying a $100, especially if the county that I go to is very straightforward about their process. Frankly, patronage of a right-leaning county counts further in my book than the cost does.

Furthermore, while I understand that Minnesota is a shall issue state, I've only got one visit to the state this year in order to secure this license. It's about a 20 hour drive to Minnesota from where I am in Texas, so an experience reflecting "Alright, you've done the process, license will come in so many days" is much more preferable to "Ah ah ah, you didn't cross this T in quite the way that we want you to here in this county" and then having to deal with that while I'm visiting family instead of just visiting family. Maybe that doesn't occur in even the most liberal of counties, I don't know, that's why I'm asking this question.

I've also read accounts of people receiving their LTC over the counter, rather than having it mailed due to the smallness of certain county sheriffs offices. If anyone has had that experience it would be welcome to hear about it, I would definitely go out of my way to visit that county.

Again, thank you for the feedback. It is much appreciated.

Washington County is straightforward and no-BS. Carver County is as well. I would recommend either.

I live in Ramsey County presently and haven't had any issues, but they've had issues in the past.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Return to General Gun Chat