Getting sick of gun shows

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Getting sick of gun shows

Postby hirdlej on Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:34 pm

Am I in the minority here when I think that going to gun shows in the last few years is a complete waste of time? I went to the Faribault gun show yesterday just to try a different chance in scenery over the redundant crocodile production shows here in the twin cities. I was in and out in probably less than 30 minutes. Tables filled with belts, cheap Chinese ebay knives, cheap plastic non-descript handguns, double barreled shotguns and a bunch of grand-pappy's old beat up bolt action hunting rifles. In the whole show I saw one M1 Garand, there were no M1A's, not a single Colt 1911, and 1 beat up Ruger Mark II .22LR pistol. Nothing of high quality when it came to firearms. It seems most shows have the same vendors peddling the same wares. I can't blame them for trying, but whipping out the credit card, finding exactly what I want on gunbroker, the CMP or brownells is a lot more convenient and cheaper than going to these shows. Do you guys actually buy any of this stuff when you go to these shows? Or do you go more for trading war stories with other gun enthusiasts? I probably should have raked leaves instead.
hirdlej

Re: Getting sick of gun shows

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Gun shows are by dreamers for dreamers. Rarely are they worth more than wasting a couple of hours but it can be an enjoyable waste of a couple of hours.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:01 pm

They always seem like a good idea, until I've been there for 20 minutes, and have gotten swept 5 times.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby crbutler on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:23 pm

Depends on what you are looking for.

I used to go to shows with some regularity when I first got in to the hobby. Got screwed pretty good by not knowing much.

Cracked receiver M1 carbine
“GI” NM M14... with a Norinco receiver.

Etc.

With gun prices on a decline right now, no one is going to put high value guns on a table with market pricing. Frankly, the development of sites like gun broker have pretty much killed the gun show market, making it national.

If you want to see high end hunting rifles, you need to go to a trade show like the SCI or DSC convention. Holland and Holland, Rigby, Purdey, Dakota arms, etc. have large displays. You can literally see 100 different double rifles there.

If you want black rifles, industry shows like SHOT or the NRA convention are where to go.

Collectibles, a big auction house auction has that.

I have to admit that all the fake militaria does run down gun shows.

In my mind, they are now a chance to get together with local enthusiasts and see what some folks are trying to sell. It’s definitely not a buyers market.
crbutler

Postby westhope on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 pm

I thought it was a great show.

I met at least 10 guys I shoot with and haven't seen since Summer. (Meeting fellow shooters is my main reason for going to gunshows these last years.)

I saw maybe 6 M1 Garands. Maybe 12 M1 carbines of all manufactures except for IBM. (The one I own.)

Learned that maybe 4 bayonets would be appropriate for my 1928 '03 Springfield. Bought none.

Got to see and handle for the first time the double barrel revolver "Thunder Struck". Weird gun, it fires 2 shots at once. I didn't buy it.

For the first time I saw and learned about a 22 LR single shot semi-automatic Winchester rifle. Built only for 3 years. I didn't buy it.

Saw maybe 5 Winchester Self Loading rifles of various calibers. Saw two original boxes of 401 WSL ammo. $80 was about the right price for each box. (I have a 401 WSL rifle so I am always looking for them. Didn't buy any. I have enough of my reload ammo for it.)

Talked to a couple "dealers" that didn't know what they were talking about. Typical for any group of guy guys.

I spent more than 30 minutes there. Well worth my time and entry fee. I didn't buy anything.

After, I went out for lunch with a good friend. A good day for me.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:04 am

I'm a MN Weapons Collector member, but it's been years since I've been to a show. I use to go to the big show at the fairgrounds every year back when I was recruiting members for the gun club.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby TSKNIGHT on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:07 am

Shameless plug for the Jackson show coming up this weekend held at the JCC High School.
9-5 Saturday and 9-3 Sunday.

Besides the Jackson show, I don't make it to many.
I like the Minnesota Weapons Collector show, but don't get there every year.
There's a big show in Sioux Falls in the spring that I try to catch.

Over the years shows have changed. Some good and some not so good.
Can't say I go for the deals (although I have gotten a few). I go more for the people. Have made some good friends over the last 40+ years attending gun shows.
TSKNIGHT

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 am

For $5.00 it was cheep entertainment and a reason to get out of the house. Now that they all went to $7.00 I’m reassigning. Over the year’s I’ve made some purchases that were priced ok. No stupidly fantastic buys, Although last year I came across moon clips for a Ruger LCR 9 at $5.00 for a package of 3 in 2 unopened packages. Didn’t need them as I had more than I needed at the time. Walked away twice. Third time I bought both packages.
Sorcerer

Return to General Gun Chat