Permit to transfer?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Permit to transfer?

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:18 pm

Anybody knows what this top section is all about?

Why would an FFL dealer have to report a transfer to local law enforcement?
Attachments
C0EAB261-E19F-44A3-9D6D-73B090CD86A9.png
gun_fan111v2

Re: Permit to transfer?

Postby smurfman on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:24 pm

As it was explained to me, that portion is meant for transfers between FFLs or from private party to an FFL for purchases. I can't state that unreservedly but that is what came down to us from those most high when such forms began to show up at the store in place of the more usual permit to purchase. It seems at least some of the local departments linked to that document for online forms after the governor issued the farcical "shelter in place" order.
smurfman

Permit to transfer?

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks for the info
gun_fan111v2

Postby bstrawse on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:51 am

smurfman wrote:As it was explained to me, that portion is meant for transfers between FFLs or from private party to an FFL for purchases. I can't state that unreservedly but that is what came down to us from those most high when such forms began to show up at the store in place of the more usual permit to purchase. It seems at least some of the local departments linked to that document for online forms after the governor issued the farcical "shelter in place" order.

No, the permit to purchase is technically known as a "transferee permit" - see MN 624.7131

The top section "Dealer Information" is used for a one-time report of transfer under MN 624.7132 when a buyer does not have a permit to purchase or permit to carry - most FFLs won't do this, so it's not often used.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Permit to transfer?

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:40 am

That makes sense. I heard about some stores doing walk-ins 15 years ago, w/o the person having a permit to buy. Would they be using this section back then?
gun_fan111v2

Postby bstrawse on Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:18 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:That makes sense. I heard about some stores doing walk-ins 15 years ago, w/o the person having a permit to buy. Would they be using this section back then?

I don't know if the for is the same, but 624.7132 dates from 1977 - so probably something similar...
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby smurfman on Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks for the clarification. The question went up the management chain to the corporate compliance/legal staff and what I posted was their explanation to us. I'll look at the statutes and bring copies in to see if there was some confusion or a breakdown in communication along the way. It appears what we have been handling these forms has been different than what has been suggested. Lucky for me the two I saw were the first ones and I declined to make the sale as I did not recognize the form. I have seen a couple others since the memo but the buyers were looking for a particular model which we did not have on hand.

Again, thanks for the information and links.
smurfman

Return to General Gun Chat