Selling Pistols & Rifles

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Selling Pistols & Rifles

Postby LarryP on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:55 pm

I'm thinking of selling some pistols & rifles. I don't want to go thru the BS at a dealer.
Would I need to do anything special if I sold them? Or just hand them over when I get paid?

How about getting them out of my name? Can you contact some dept and do that?
LarryP

Re: Selling Pistols & Rifles

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:02 pm

Where are they "in your name"? I do a bill of sale and check DL. I just have a check box stating he showed his DL. Name address and phone on the bill of sale. I don't require DL copy or permit copy since MN doesn't require it for the sale. Guessing if your talking FFL transfer you won't get many takers.
Last edited by LarryFlew on Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:36 am

Like Larry, I just use a Bill of Sale (I have a pdf if you need it). I make 2 copies. One for me, one for the buyer. I put both mine and their Driver License Numbers on it, for rifles and shotguns. If it's a Handgun, I also write down the Carry Permit Number or ask them to provide a copy of their Permit to Purchase. I keep these in a file for my sense of security.

Armslist is a decent site to list them locally. Also posting them on here is a good way to sell.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby ttousi on Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:38 am

Guns are not registered in the state of MN.............do a bill of sale and capture info as stated above. There are some bill of sale forms in the reference section

Check this thread
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11498
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby ttousi on Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:44 am

MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:59 am

While the above referenced Bills of Sale might serve the purposes of a concerned seller, as a buyer I would not share either my DOB, or DL# with any private citizen.
If there isn't a measure of trust between buyer and seller, they probably go to an FFL.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:32 am

I always (most always - my kids exempted) go to an FFL and I pay the transfer fee, which is great peace of mind for me. No sale otherwise. If they fail NICS, dealer keeps the gun. I am paid in cash before entering FFL place of business where they enter firearm into their Bound Book. Buyer should know if he will pass NICS before dealing with me. I inform them upfront of the process I use.

:exactly:
OldmanFCSA

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:34 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:I always (most always - my kids exempted) go to an FFL and I pay the transfer fee, which is great peace of mind for me. No sale otherwise. If they fail NICS, dealer keeps the gun. I am paid in cash before entering FFL place of business where they enter firearm into their Bound Book. Buyer should know if he will pass NICS before dealing with me. I inform them upfront of the process I use.

At first I thought this was questionable from legal standpoint if they fail NICS. But then I realized it's no different than if someone were to buy something online and ship it to an FFL and fail NICS.
grimbeaver

Return to General Gun Chat